Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
use conditioner after shampoo? hair care advice for guys?
07-31-2014, 12:25 PM
use conditioner after shampoo? hair care advice for guys?
I read the curly hair book and know that in general we have to use a conditioner after a shampoo. But are there any small exceptions to skip the conditioner? my question comes from replying to a thread about moisturizing shampoos. If the moisturizing shampoo gives moisture to the hair then why do you use a conditioner? or how do you use a conditioner?

for starters i am talking of all types of shampoo and conditioner. So always use conditioners after shampoos? what y'all say?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2014, 05:14 PM
RE: use conditioner after shampoo? hair care advice for guys?
Jay, have a look through our shampoo and conditioner guide and discussion in the link where we cover the use of shampoos and conditioner. It's one of our many hair care guides, but that specific hair care guide in the link covering shampooing and hair conditioning is an essential one.

Back to your question and just like Rogelio covers in extreme detail in both The Men's Hair Book and in The Curly Hair Book (see the books in the links), you should always use a regular conditioner after shampooing (i.e. immediately after rinsing the shampoo). The good thing when it comes to time management is that, as you know from the No Shampoo method that is also explained in detail in both books, you don't need to shampoo every day, hence there is no need to use a regular conditioner either (you can if you want to and to still get some good mechanical cleansing action, but that's up to how you customize your hair grooming routine as per all the details and advice in the books.

You also ask specifically about a moisturizing shampoo. Well, even when using a moisturizing shampoo, you would still use a regular conditioner once you rinse the moisturizing shampoo from your hair. When it comes to moisturizing your hair, it's always better to have a "little bit more" than a "little bit less", so you'd still use your regular conditioner after the moisturizing shampoo.

The only case where you would not follow the shampoo with a conditioner would be in the case of a 2 in 1 shampoo. This type of shampoo (2 in 1 shampoo) already comes as a blend of a shampoo AND conditioner in the product formula, so all you need to do is follow the instructions of the product (as easy as it is using a 2 in 1 shampoo) and you will be finished in half the time than using a shampoo and then a conditioner.

A good 2 in 1 shampoo that you can buy is THIS 2 in 1 shampoo, which will give you the benefits of both a shampoo and a conditioner when you use it in one go. Bear in mind that the product comes as 2 bottles (it's a bundle) but that does NOT mean that one bottle is the shampoo and the other is the conditioner! Smile It's just that those 2 bottles will last you a very long time and you are getting an excellent price by buying two bottles of that 2 in 1 shampoo in the link I've posted.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good shampoo for damaged hair and healthy straightened curls? red05five 0 57 11-20-2016 01:56 PM
Last Post: red05five
  Looking for new products, requiring some advice (pics at the end) Magikarp_Approves 0 91 11-06-2016 04:05 PM
Last Post: Magikarp_Approves
  A conditioner that really hydrates hair? boolmir 1 250 10-26-2016 02:57 PM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Best mens hair conditioner for damaged hair hapaa 4 443 10-06-2016 04:19 AM
Last Post: oslec8