Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
minoxidil mix with hair product...better or worse?
05-14-2015, 04:33 AM
minoxidil mix with hair product...better or worse?
If you using minoxidil, will you get a bad reaction when you apply hair product (gel, wax, pomade, etc.) at the same time? I only use it in the front for my receding hairline so I don't apply minoxidil all over.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2015, 05:32 AM
Styling your hair with a hair product after applying minoxidil is fine.
You will be fine. However, make sure that the minoxidil product is absorbed prior to hair styling. Likewise, when styling your hair, try to get all the hairstyling product on your hair strands and not on your scalp (i.e. your skin on the head from where your hair grows).

In fact, that way to style your hair that I've described above of using a hairstyling product is the correct way to style your: about 2/3 to 3/4 of the hair shaft (i.e. the structure of an individual hair) should be coated in the hairstyling product, while the remaining 1/3 to 1/4 of the shaft is the part closest to the scalp and should remain product free. Obviously, it's impossible to get it right always but a good rule of thumb is to avoiding touching your scalp with your fingers or comb. This is regardless of whether you're using minoxidil or not.

What type of minoxidil application are you using? Foam, liquid etc

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-14-2015, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2015 01:26 PM by Wiggles.)
RE: minoxidil mix with hair product...better or worse?
Liquid 5% strength. I got it from Harmon (part of Bed Bath and Beyond company if you don't know). I put on with dropper and rub it with my finger to spread and prevent it from dripping down my face.
05-15-2015, 08:13 AM
If you experience itching from liquid minoxidil, then switch over to foam minoxidil.
You'll be fine then. Just bear in mind that some people report the liquid minoxidil version to give some more itching than the foam version. If you see that you start getting too much itching on the scalp, switch over to the foam version of your minoxidil product to relieve some (or all) of the itching.

If your brand doesn't have a foam version of the product, then go through our list of hair loss products for men to find minoxidil foam products (and not just Rogaine).

In any case and with regards to your question, simply follow the tips in my previous post and you're good to go.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-15-2015, 08:06 PM
RE: minoxidil mix with hair product...better or worse?
Nope I never experience itching and if I did, I'm using Head and Shoulders shampoo so that takes care of itchy scalp. Yea Rogaine is too expensive like $50 where I am. I only pay $28-$30 (depending if I get the $5 off or 20% off coupon in the mail which I get every month for signing up) for the Harmon brand.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Minoxidil Regime? catchingitearly 0 69 11-17-2016 10:16 PM
Last Post: catchingitearly
  What product is it? Kusen 1 152 10-06-2016 03:05 PM
Last Post: briangreen
  Thinking of trying minoxidil, need advice!? Freeze 0 620 01-05-2016 01:15 PM
Last Post: Freeze
  What hair loss product really works for receding hairline?! Serf27 3 2,948 10-04-2015 01:46 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum