Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
from long to short
06-27-2014, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2014 05:39 PM by Brett.)
from long to short
Well i kind of gave my story in the introduce yourself thread.

Basically i started of with long hair and a mess of a beard seems most people are going long haired while im trying to go shorter. (worked well for my viking re-enactment)
i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/racingbrett/hair/Brett_zpscdaa0ed8.jpg[/img]

Hair went shorter and layered to get a bit of volume back, beard was trimmed up neater but still a bit of a monster
i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/racingbrett/hair/beard_zps2ccf2341.jpg[/img]

Now were nearly up to date, basically my life took a swing around and its a new start for me, with a new start im after a new look, iv started by trimming and tidying the beard which im happy with.
i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/racingbrett/hair/WP_20140616_010_zps77fe10ab.jpg[/img]
i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/racingbrett/hair/DSC01198BnW_zps2198abeb.jpg[/img]

Now i need to try figure what to do with my hair, having had it long for over 10 years im having problems picturing myself with anything else, its not that i dont want shorter hair, just that i cant picture what will suit my face shape any ideas?

Im looking to go short - medium length, but something a bit different and "presentable", care wise im not really someone who spends a long time in front of a mirror but if im heading out somewhere taking a bit of time on it isnt a problem but not something id like to be doing day in day out unless its simple.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2014, 10:26 AM
RE: from long to short
Hey Brett I just enabled your posting of pics. Happy to see another forum member using details to describe his current situation.
Please go ahead & post your pics so we can have the best idea of your situation Smile
06-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Thanks Jurgen
so I started out like this
[Image: Brett_zpscdaa0ed8.jpg]

tidied up the beard a little and trimmed the hair shorter
[Image: beard_zps2ccf2341.jpg]

went a step further with the beard as it just wouldn't stay how I wanted, I may try grow it out again over the winter but will "brush up" on styling beards. These are current pics.
[Image: WP_20140616_010_zps77fe10ab.jpg]
[Image: DSC01198BnW_zps2198abeb.jpg]
07-03-2014, 05:35 PM
So no advice for going short? How about keeping it longish but something different?
07-08-2014, 10:35 AM
last updated look fits you well, I'd say.
I like it!
07-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the input Foques.
im in two minds which way to go but had wondered if i could manage to pull off this style, complete with a more full beard

[Image: 936full-travis-fimmel.jpg]
07-19-2014, 10:25 AM
well in the end i went to the barbers and talked it over with them, im happy with the results, nxt time round i may go shorter on the sides and in the mean time im growing the beard back out and going to try keep it neater and more square

[Image: Zk8yDgg.jpg]
[Image: XIsJqxI.jpg]
[Image: 6j2gsdV.jpg]
07-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Looks great! Very clean. Also makes you look much younger than before I think
08-15-2014, 09:02 AM
Just thought id offer a little update and ask for some advice as far as hair products.
So far im loving the new hair, it does let me know when i need a cut though as it becomes a nightmare to style in the mornings, on my most recent trim iv stuck with just having the sides cut not trimmed but had the fade tightened in a little, iv also had a little extra of the top as it was proving a little heavy and difficult to get the volume i wanted to stay in, so far so good, iv also starting coming it over to the side and back a little more taking advantage of the natural wave

Now for the question, im having issues finding a product to suit, pomades are ok for a slick shiny look but offers no hold so only really works for a straight comb back, filthy muk styling paste doesnt really seem to do a lot other than make my hair sticky, sebastian twisted taffy an old one which offers an ok hold but again a sticky unwashed look, my current best is sebastian craft clay, excellent no hassle styling (really takes no effort on a morning)and i love the natural look it gives but it offers no hold for the day and my hair starts to fall down and looks a mess, i have tried to combine this with a hair spray which will give an initial stiff hold but after 4-5 hours it starts to loose its hold and my hair starts falling again... I have a wax to try next but have a feeling it will give a bit of an un-natural shine. Can anyone recommend me a product or products that are similar to the clays but offer a decent hold?
08-16-2014, 09:49 AM
With wax your hair will get very clumpy, everyone wants a hair products that gives the hold but isnt hard or clumpy and I have been searching that products for a long time and wasted money for that. The thing is when you want hold you will have to give in the way your hair feels (natural feel). So for you I would say, a gel would be good (get it out of your hair every night) cuz i dont think you have very thick hair that curls. The gel will make your hair curl if you have very thick curly hair, but in your case you dont have to think about it. But its what I have learned in my journey, eventually its trial and error. Remember there are light, medium, hard hold gels.

Btw awesome hair
11-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Thought an update may be due, im still with the same basic cut, a few tweaks here and there to help it sit right more naturally, I also tend to vary the style from falling to one side slightly to straight back, my main change has been on the beard front and im pretty happy with the way my style is and has changed.

[Image: SONY_REMOTE_20141128_16_11_49_zpsf74cf93e.jpg]
11-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Looking good Brett. You look a lot younger with the short look. Smile
12-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Yes. I agree with everybody else. It makes you look a lot younger and I think the shorter cut suits you better.
01-11-2015, 06:50 AM
Great look man....very masculine yet clean.
I'd say my fav would be the photo of you in the car with your hair slicked back.

I'd like to pull off such a look myself but my hair isn't long enough and is has a lot of volume due to its coarseness and thickness.
01-19-2015, 01:02 PM
you look alot younger and look like a man who can break a person in 2. Awesome update.
01-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Thanks all, its been a journey and one I feel im still on, the change hasnt just altered my looks but has given me a new found confidence, initially I wasnt sure I would like it how wrong was I Big Grin

Due a hair trim but the beard is coming on nice and theres so many options with this hair cut when it comes to styling its unreal.

Gritty BnW shot
[Image: newmebnw_zpsvrcdydhq.jpg]
02-11-2015, 12:42 PM
I dont have any words for this, it is that good. Congratz!
03-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Such a stunning change. Well done
03-25-2015, 10:27 AM
wow great change, makes you look young and healthy
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hairstyle advice for dry short straight hair with round face shape overprotected 4 232 10-28-2016 02:24 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  Growing long hair (man bun) with fine hair type Bsrfitness 3 7,748 03-13-2016 02:01 PM
Last Post: Eetu00
  Chronicling my long hair journey jaysen_ 6 1,109 12-28-2015 12:42 AM
Last Post: jaysen_
  Short hair to long Journey shahrukhch1 21 9,339 12-15-2015 03:56 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c