Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter hair care for men?
12-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Winter hair care for men?
Should we be watching out for anything with regards to winter hair care for men? There are some thread about summer humidity but I didn't get to see any on winter hair. It's got damn freezing here and going out with wet hair outside almost turns my hair into a block of ice lol
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2014, 03:19 PM
RE: Winter hair care for men?
First, lets talk dryness. It seems like hair dryness is the number one complaint most people have about their hair when it comes to winter time. So basically you should condition more in the winter months, but do more than that for the best hair care.

Check the conditioner you are using. One conditioner is not the same as the next. You should use shampoos, conditioner and other hair styling products that that contain humectants such as protein and panthenol. Humectants will help trap the water into your hair.

When you have the time and are conditioning your hair at home, take a break from the hair dryer if you use one. Instead of using a hair dryer, either towel dry without rubbing the hair too hard or even let it air dry. I know its cold but if you are using a conditioner that will lock in the humidity and help with not getting so cold up there.

If you have to use a hair dryer, hair straightener or any other hairstyling tools, then think about getting some of the new products made for protecting your hair from heat damage.

If your hair is exceptionally dry, you may want to try a hot oil treatment on it. During the cold months you may want to do this once a month. I will try to write some more about this in the forum but basically any hairdresser can do this for you (hair salon not barbershop). It actually works really well for mens hair especially wavy hair to curly kinky hair.

You should also watch about wearing wool hats and scarves. If they rest on your hairline the wool fibres can cause your hair to dry and even break.

Keeping your ends trimmed is something you should do all year. But in the winter you want to become religious about this task. If your ends gets dry, they can split and the split can work their way up your hair shaft.

Of course, if you have oily hair or partially oily hair, you don't want to use a heavy conditioner. It will just make your hair more oily and cause it to lay limp. But you still need to condition. Buy a lighter conditioner, made for daily use. Occasionally, condition your entire hair. Other times, just condition the ends of your hair. Best reading you can do is this thread about conditioners and shampoos with what to buy for a conditioner and shampoo.

Another problem you can have with your hair in the winter is tangling. Wearing coats and jackets cause the hair to tangle when it is long or not trimmed in a taper haircut, especially when you are wearing the hair loose. This is not only an inconvenience. But tangling can cause your hair to break and it this not a look anyone wants. For this reason, many men with medium length hair or long hair will tie their hair in a man bun or some kind of ponytail hairstyle. Even with medium length hair you can get a man bun or top knot (see the link) so it's worth tying your hair if you are going to be wearing coats or even if wearing hats or scarves.
01-09-2015, 09:41 AM
(12-04-2014 10:33 AM)James Wrote:  Should we be watching out for anything with regards to winter hair care for men? There are some thread about summer humidity but I didn't get to see any on winter hair. It's got damn freezing here and going out with wet hair outside almost turns my hair into a block of ice lol

MH uses my Pro Naturals shampoo & conditioner in the winter but doesn't steal my products in the summer!
01-14-2015, 06:29 PM
(01-09-2015 09:41 AM)AddyB Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 10:33 AM)James Wrote:  Should we be watching out for anything with regards to winter hair care for men? There are some thread about summer humidity but I didn't get to see any on winter hair. It's got damn freezing here and going out with wet hair outside almost turns my hair into a block of ice lol

MH uses my Pro Naturals shampoo & conditioner in the winter but doesn't steal my products in the summer!

go 3 to 4 days between washes as well
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Trying to get into hair care/styling, no idea where/how to start Anonymoose17 0 160 10-16-2016 07:06 AM
Last Post: Anonymoose17
  Tousled hair and messy hairstyle tips for long term care Sunset 2 1,541 11-02-2014 10:48 PM
Last Post: cadegreyson
  Hair care tips for men to keep a fresh hairstyle and mane Long Mane 3 2,529 09-15-2014 05:20 PM
Last Post: rob80