Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wide tooth comb or finger styling for thick wavy hair?
09-28-2015, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2015 08:54 PM by Elementalove.)
Wide tooth comb or finger styling for thick wavy hair?
I have thick and coarse wavy hair that I'm growing out. I stopped combing it ever since I noticed that even my wide-toothed comb isn't doing the job well, for me the result is like using a fine tooth comb but on a smaller scale (it ruins the texture by destroying the clumping of the individual hair strands in the curl).

I don't know why, the spacing between it's teeth is approx 0.35 cm and the thickness of each is approx 0.45cm. Finger combing tends to have the same result too if I do it a number of times. What do you think is the solution? Ditch combing all together? Thank you in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2015, 10:48 AM
When growing wavy hair or curly hair long, it's best to style it with your fingers.
If you're growing your wavy hair long, then it's best to get used to style your hair with your own fingers only (i.e. "finger styling"). You can get wider wide-tooth combs but once your wavy curls start to get longer and longer, that's a longer distance that the wide tooth comb has to go across and thus the potential to ruin the aesthetics of your wavy mane.

Wide-tooth combs are excellent styling tools for wavy-haired men. However, if you're not getting the most out of them, then that's a sign that you do indeed have too much hair (i.e. a high hair density) and thick hair, which in itself is a good sign. In these cases, when growing such thick and dense wavy hair, the best option is to drop the wide tooth comb and to finger-style alone.

You could try to find wider wide-tooth combs or wide-tooth comb that are better made, but the fastest solution is to leave it at styling your mane with your fingers. By all means, take a look at these two wide-tooth combs for curly hair as those 2 listed are excellent ones. One of them is also anti-static which helps to tame any frizz generated from running a comb through hair. With this said, in part, you could be experiencing enhanced hair frizz from combing your wavy hair with your current wide-tooth comb, and thus the breaking of the shape of you wavy curls. An anti-static wide-tooth comb as you will find in the linked list could be a good option to contemplate.

I would still not throw your wide-tooth comb (or any new one that you buy) to the trash can. A great use of a wide-tooth comb is when detangling your hair in the shower. When your hair is fully wet in the shower, coat your hair with a good hair conditioner and, then, smoothly and softly run the wide-tooth comb through your conditioner-coated wavy mane. Such a motion will allow you to detangle any knots or matted strands; you can also do this with your fingers by forming a rake with your fingers and running your fingers in the same manner. But, if you're planning to keep your wide-tooth comb or to get a wider one, then keep that detangling purpose of wide-tooth combs in mind.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
10-02-2015, 09:28 AM
RE: Wide tooth comb or finger styling for thick wavy hair?
Sounds perfect to me..Thank you!
11-02-2015, 09:44 AM
RE: Wide tooth comb or finger styling for thick wavy hair?
Like the other one said, once you hair gets longer, the more you have to comb. However, having wavy hair, I know how important it is to comb the hair after washing it. But don't use a wide toothed comb. Wavy hair tends to get small knots after washing it and wide toothed combs do not attend to them. So use a thin toothed comb, then finger style it. Even ruffle your hair to bring back to it's original form after combing it.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Shoudler-length wavy, messy and frizzy hair - Indications needed mateus560276 0 532 06-20-2016 05:17 AM
Last Post: mateus560276
  Growing out wavy hair Acillatem123 0 544 05-17-2016 09:28 PM
Last Post: Acillatem123
  Help growing out wavy hair streaks of wavy 0 419 05-11-2016 01:20 PM
Last Post: streaks of wavy
  Need help growing out long wavy hair from an undercut bobby 2 1,235 03-25-2016 07:06 PM
Last Post: puck345