Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does my wavy hair look so dry?
05-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Why does my wavy hair look so dry?
I don't know what to do, i have tried using waxes, gels, pomades but my hair still looks dry like hay. I shampoo every day and read that this can cause problems. Should I give cutting down shampoo a try?
Thanks for any replies
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2013, 02:46 PM
RE: Why does my wavy hair look so dry?
(05-14-2013 02:38 PM)Machado Wrote:  I don't know what to do, i have tried using waxes, gels, pomades but my hair still looks dry like hay. I shampoo every day and read that this can cause problems. Should I give cutting down shampoo a try?
Thanks for any replies

You should seriously try cutting down your shampoo use. Men with wavy hair don't need to shampoo every day unless your use of other hair products is very heavy. Try Rogelio's No Shampoo method by which you slowly decrease your shampoo frequency, or if not just halve your shampoo use, as in use every other day.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Yea, dropping down my shampoo use has helped a lot.My hair looks thicker and shiny. Really works.
05-14-2013, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2013 05:16 PM by Curly Hair.)
(05-14-2013 02:38 PM)Machado Wrote:  I don't know what to do, i have tried using waxes, gels, pomades but my hair still looks dry like hay. I shampoo every day and read that this can cause problems. Should I give cutting down shampoo a try?
Thanks for any replies

90% of the time, shampooing too frequently is the problem of hay-like hair. Using too many and much hairstyling products like waxes and pomades will also contribute to the problem.

I advise you to cut down your shampooing frequency and hairstyling-product use. Only use a fingertip of wax/pomade/gel and shampoo every other day for now as you run your fingers through your locks when you shower on your non-shampooing days.

I've described the above method extensively in my books and for a good reference. you can read the method itself over at Manly Curls

No Shampoo method

If you got any Qs, ask them here.

Best.

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks for any replies

I agree with the above posts about shampooing less frequently. Once I got over the idea that it was gross, or unclean, or not normal it was all good. My hair is curly and I used to shampoo daily. At any length greater than 1 inch, it would be very dry and hay-like. And now as my hair is getting longer, I only use shampoo once every 5-7 days. My hair doesn't smell bad, nor look bad. It's actually very nice to touch.

So just do it.

Andy
05-17-2013, 05:54 PM
(05-17-2013 02:13 PM)AndyMack Wrote:  
Thanks for any replies

I agree with the above posts about shampooing less frequently. Once I got over the idea that it was gross, or unclean, or not normal it was all good. My hair is curly and I used to shampoo daily. At any length greater than 1 inch, it would be very dry and hay-like. And now as my hair is getting longer, I only use shampoo once every 5-7 days. My hair doesn't smell bad, nor look bad. It's actually very nice to touch.

So just do it.

Andy

+1

Welcome to the forum AndyMack Smile

Exactly like you said, once you get over the daily shampooing myth, you'll improve your hair. That's what Rogelio has been saying for ages: find out the best "frequency" to use shampoo, and only use a little bit. The sebum you secrete is an excellent conditioner and makes the hair look thick!
This "shampoo frequency" thing is best for wavy to kinky/afro textured hair.

Keep us updated on what you do, and welcome all to the forum! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
08-04-2014, 10:23 PM
I'll try this. I want to get my hair in order, a blowdryer, and some pomade before my next hair cut to see if I can even style this thing succesfully.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 13,774 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  How long to grow medium afro hairstyle for wavy hair? R.mendez099 1 444 07-30-2016 01:56 AM
Last Post: PrettyboiJ21
  Help for growing out wavy voluminous hair! M.R88 0 295 07-21-2016 03:26 AM
Last Post: M.R88
  Possible haircuts/hairstyles for wavy hair? glaze 1 746 04-12-2016 07:34 PM
Last Post: Wavesbro