Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why does my hair look like this?
06-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Sad Why does my hair look like this?
Hello, this is my first post, and hopefully one of many more to come. I have a question related to my hair type/problem... I've always kept my hair relatively short, one of the reasons was once it started to grow out anything above a #3, or #4, I notice these hairs that flare out the sides and top of my head unlike the rest of the hair, which remains fairly uniform in appearance.

I don't know how relevant this would be, but I use V05 Herbal Escape 2-in-1 Shampoo/Conditioner. And I take my showers in the morning.. I dry off my hair using a towel, and once my hairs starts getting longer, I use a brush to "straighten" it out.
Here is a pic of what I'm referring too:
[Image: side_Copy.jpg]

Thank you, and sorry for a lengthy first post!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2013, 08:58 AM
RE: Why does my hair look like this?
Welcome to the forum! What you experience is perfectly normal especially with short hair like yours.

Perhaps it boils down to this, does it really bother you? or are you just curious as to why it happens? Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Well, I'm hoping that if I find out why it happens I can try to correct it, it does bother me. I have noticed it on other people and I don't think it is a very appealing look to be honest. xD But if you have any suggestions to deal with this, I'd really like to know. Big Grin
Thank you!

and by the way, what would you call this? I've spent a long time trying different keywords but haven't found anything that really relates to what this is.
Again thank you! Smile
06-29-2013, 04:12 PM
That's what's called "flyaway hairs", and they are very common with short hair because short hair is less pliable; ergo, it will stand out instead of stand down. Very normal, you can defeat flyaway hairs with a styling cream or hair pomade; likewise, dry your hair by softly caressing the hair; do not vigorously rub your hair with the towel.

Try my above tips, you'll see a good improvement. But bear in mind that flyaway hairs are the norm with short hair!

Best

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
06-29-2013, 05:23 PM
You know I had a friend of mine experience the same thing, but he had curly hair, so it wasn't as noticeable. I definitely do not think the towel nor the shampoo is the issue though, because these hairs are growing in particular spots, and both the shampoo and towel reach your entire scalp and not the spots in particular. Do you know what I mean? I would honestly see a doctor or check out google...
06-30-2013, 01:05 PM
(06-27-2013 03:48 PM)teenkid13 Wrote:  Well, I'm hoping that if I find out why it happens I can try to correct it, it does bother me. I have noticed it on other people and I don't think it is a very appealing look to be honest. xD But if you have any suggestions to deal with this, I'd really like to know. Big Grin
Thank you!

and by the way, what would you call this? I've spent a long time trying different keywords but haven't found anything that really relates to what this is.
Again thank you! Smile

Like Rogelio said (Curly Hair), those hairs you see are there because your hair is short. Using pomade or a hairstyling cream will solve that. Also, be careful with drying your hair, only gently pass the towel over your hair or dont even use a towel to dry your hair (shake off the water). Do that and report back!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Also, post more pics if you can with your hair styled and dried, the pics be with the whole hair on your head (blur your face if you want).

07-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Thank you all so much! This has kept me from pulling my hair out as a solution! haha
Well, I started doing a bit of research on pomade- From what I understand, there are water based versions, and petroleum based versions... The petroleum worries me- from what I've seen in review videos, it takes stuff like olive oil and peanut butter to get it out, and it can stop hair growth by blocking up pores, is any of this true?
I really don't want anything too complicated, would water based work just as effectively, and if so- do you all have any brand recommendations for a newbie? Is American Crew any good? Are there any other good ones you all recommend that I could find at a walmart/walgreens?

Also, I will try not drying my hair, or at the most doing it incredibly lightly, I think that it could be one of the reasons I have 'fly-away' hairs.
Big Grin
Thanks,
07-01-2013, 02:49 PM
(07-01-2013 11:46 AM)teenkid13 Wrote:  Thank you all so much! This has kept me from pulling my hair out as a solution! haha
Well, I started doing a bit of research on pomade- From what I understand, there are water based versions, and petroleum based versions... The petroleum worries me- from what I've seen in review videos, it takes stuff like olive oil and peanut butter to get it out, and it can stop hair growth by blocking up pores, is any of this true?

The internet is full of websites about hair care that are worthless (men's hair websites are the worst of all). The one thing you are assured in our forum is that you get advice from experts who know what they're talking about (Curly Hair, Barber, Jurgen etc), and we even have more experts joining.

What you have read is garbage. Pomade is removed with shampoo, not olive oil, olive oil would actually make it worse. And no, hair pomade will NOT stop hair growth. I can't believe people have the guts to tell you that HuhRolleyes

(07-01-2013 11:46 AM)teenkid13 Wrote:  I really don't want anything too complicated, would water based work just as effectively, and if so- do you all have any brand recommendations for a newbie? Is American Crew any good? Are there any other good ones you all recommend that I could find at a walmart/walgreens?

Also, I will try not drying my hair, or at the most doing it incredibly lightly, I think that it could be one of the reasons I have 'fly-away' hairs.
Big Grin
Thanks,

Buy both, non-water and water based, then see. Go through our best hair pomade thread, there are some good recommendations there http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...ade-to-buy

07-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Oh wow, thank you so much. That clears up a lot of confusion for me. haha
I'm glad the petroleum based pomade isn't so much of an issue, I also read that some of them will ruin pillow cases if you don't shower in the evening (I do it in the mornings). But I guess that's a given for any hair styling products. So no biggy.

I checked the list, I'm trying to get what I can from a local shop, I was surprised to see American Crew, and some other brands instock there when I went today, which I thought were normally only online. I went ahead and picked up a small Axe Clean-Cut pomade. I've watched a few videos on how to apply it, and I did try using a tiny bit- and it did help to some extent. Smile But I'm wondering if I should try using more for more effectiveness, or if I should 'upgrade' to American Crew.
I have yet to try tomorrow when I go through the motions of getting ready to leave home.
I'll also try to post pictures tomorrow if I remember of with/without etc.. give you all a better picture of what I'm dealing with.

On the list of recommended pomades- American Crew is at the top, and it is also available at the walgreens down the street from me. So I can go pick that up at some point within the next few days if you all think that it's worth the extra $20.

Again, thanks!
10-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Wow I've had this problem forever. I'll try this out.
11-05-2013, 04:53 AM
I have this type of hair, I want to ask if this is the same thing? I have several split ends though.

[Image: BYTJeHrCYAEBl45.jpg:large]
[Image: BYTJbTlCAAARRrU.jpg:large]
11-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Benfaryl, we ask forum members to open their own thread to ask about their case and not derail another forum member's thread Smile You almost have sufficient posts to open a thread and I have seen you are actively contributing to our community, so I will be happy to help you when you open your thread Smile

However since your enquiry is very similar to that of the OP, I don't think those are split hair as split hairs don't occur on short hair unless you have don't something downright stupid like bleaching your hair with the strongest chemical you could find Big Grin Your hair type (straight) is like the OP's, so the solution is simple like we gave the OP.

Those hairs are normal flyaway hairs (as posted by Curly Hair) which means that a good pomade or hairstyling cream will correct that, but make sure your hair is damp before you use the pomade/hairstyling cream on your hair. Have a look at our hair products thread if you're interested in buying a good pomade or styling cream http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...-Epic-List

11-06-2013, 03:12 AM
(11-05-2013 08:30 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Benfaryl, we ask forum members to open their own thread to ask about their case and not derail another forum member's thread Smile You almost have sufficient posts to open a thread and I have seen you are actively contributing to our community, so I will be happy to help you when you open your thread Smile

However since your enquiry is very similar to that of the OP, I don't think those are split hair as split hairs don't occur on short hair unless you have don't something downright stupid like bleaching your hair with the strongest chemical you could find Big Grin Your hair type (straight) is like the OP's, so the solution is simple like we gave the OP.

Those hairs are normal flyaway hairs (as posted by Curly Hair) which means that a good pomade or hairstyling cream will correct that, but make sure your hair is damp before you use the pomade/hairstyling cream on your hair. Have a look at our hair products thread if you're interested in buying a good pomade or styling cream http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...-Epic-List

First and foremost, thank you for the quick reply. Smile I'm sorry that I didn't open a new thread, it's not that I don't want to, but I don't have sufficient post, and I cannot access my User CP yet. (I don't know if that is normal)

Furthermore, thank you for the suggestion, I really appreciate it. Big Grin However, I think I do have split ends since I have this kinda of hair.
[Image: my_split_ends.png]
I don't know what is the cause of it, but it started from I was little, probably because of shampooing my hair everyday? Or probably barbers kept using thinning shears to cut my hair, because I have a thick hair.
11-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Hey buddy, if I'm correct the illustration posted refers to split tips in kinky curly hair, this is very common for that hair type.

In the case of short straight hair, the hair just grows randomly and some single hairs (strands) simply stick up instead of attaching to the hair strands next to it. If you have read The Men's Hair Book, Rogelio mentions about hair attaching in "locks", straight hair however tends to just stick up instead of form locks, hence the wiry looks of your hair.

The only way you could be growing split hair would be if your hair follicles are damaged or you have Pili Multigemini which is a condition in which two hair strands or more grow from a same follicle! I really doubt it is doubt buddy, you simply have too much hair Big Grin (and that's good, trust me)

Do the tricks I recommended with the pomade and other hair products, you'll be surprised!

And please open a new thread to continue with this Smile

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------