Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you get dandruff and how to get rid of dandruff?
12-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Why do you get dandruff and how to get rid of dandruff?
Hello guys i am really stressed out with exams and need to know how to get rid of dandruff. I read the forums and you guys offer a lot of help but i just lose track of it. I skim the threads but rite now i really am tight on time. The more i read the more confused i get. I know it also happens with my studies lol
  • So it''s some funky bacteria or fungus that causes dandruff?
  • Is it easy to treat but there is no cure?
  • Why do you get dandruff? that is probably the first question of all to ask now that i think about it.
  • What is a good dandruff treatment? is a special type of dandruff shampoo is fine?
Pls undo the confusion gentlemen.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2014, 04:32 PM
RE: Why do you get dandruff and how to get rid of dandruff?
Dandruff is a condition of the scalp that affects millions of people. Although it is neither contagious, nor a threat to health in any way, it is a serious cosmetic problem which is unsightly and embarrassing in social situations. Through the years, several medications have been developed to combat symptoms of dandruff, however, for many, there are home remedies and alternate methods that work just as well. However there is no cure for dandruff and you can read a lot about dandruff and remedies in the link as that is a big discussion thread from the forum where this topic is discussed in depth.

Dandruff is a condition of the scalp marked by chronic itching and dead skin peeling from the scalp. This dead skin can be light and minimal in the form of a fine powder or can be composed of larger and more obvious flakes that collect in the hair or fall from the head to rest on your shoulders and clothing. The symptoms of dandruff can be caused by several different factors, including more serious skin conditions such as dry skin (from hormone problems), seborrheic dermatosis, psoriasis, cradle cap, and contact dermatitis. Dandruff has recently been attributed to the build up of a yeast-like fungus that lives on the heads of almost all adult people called malassezia that feeds on the oils of the hair causing skin to dry excessively and flake off. What causes the growth of malassezia itself is largely unknown but thought to be a combination of stress, hormones, immune system abnormalities and inflammation of the scalp tissue.

A doctor can prescribe medicines and medicated shampoos, which can often be bought over the counter as well, such as zinc pyrithione shampoos like Head & Shoulders, Tar-based shampoo like Neutrogena T/Gel, and selenium sulfide shampoos like Selsun Blue (see this list of dandruff shampoos for recommendations). There are also a number of other remedies that are more natural and have been used successfully in many of those who suffer from dandruff.

The first line of defense and treatment for dandruff is in good hygiene. This includes frequent washing with your regular shampoo (but not too frequent!) or one of the anti dandruff shampoos mentioned above. Hair should be brushed lightly or combed lightly several times daily to improve circulation to the follicles and remove any excess flakes. A fingertip massage of the scalp is recommended at least once per day and exposure for limited times to the sun can help treat dandruff also.

One natural remedy for dandruff comes from India and has been used regularly to great effect. It requires a mixture of curded milk, honey, and lemon. Two tablespoons of curd mixed with three drops of honey and the juice of one lemon can be applied to the scalp and massaged in. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes and then shampoo away.

Coconut oil has been used by some who say that pure coconut oil shows almost immediate results that last up to six months. Coconut oil can be purchased in pure form from health store, vitamin shops and Amazon (the latter is probably your best pick to buy high quality coconut oil). The oil should be applied to the scalp in saturation and massaged in with the fingertips. For thick hair it can be brushed in as needed. Let sit for 15 minutes and then run under hot water for another 15 minutes. Once finished you should make sure that you shampoo the oil as otherwise it will just site there.

Another home remedy for dandruff is a mixture of olive oil and lime juice. One tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil can be mixed with one teaspoon of fresh lime juice and applied to the scalp. Massage in well and cover with a scarf to prevent getting the oil on other materials in the home and help keep it on your head. Leave it in the hair overnight and shampoo clean in the morning.

Listerine, while not really a natural remedy has been used to treat dandruff as well. After a regular shampoo, saturate the hair with Listerine and leave in for 10 minutes or if it begin to sting, sooner. Wash out again with shampoo.

Regular aspirin is also said to be an effective means of combating dandruff. Crush 10 aspirins very fine on a plate with a spoon or by any other means you see fit. Combine with a quarter-cup of shampoo and massage into the scalp. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then rinse. The theory behind this is that aspirin is an anti inflammatory and dandruff has an inflammation cause.

Tea tree oil has been used in Australia and around the world for years as a remedy to scalp and skin problems. Essential oil of tea tree can be bought at health stores and many stores that sell a wide variety of vitamins. It can be bought already mixed into a shampoo, the best of which is Paul Mitchell's tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner. The essential oil can also be mixed into your regular shampoo. Use one teaspoon per application. Let it sit for 15 minutes on the scalp before rinsing.

Dandruff is a very personal condition and what works for one person may not work for another. I have posted about kids and dandruff as there are dandruff treatments for just about anyone. Use trial and error in finding what helps you and then stick with what works best.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to treat and cure dandruff Stevens 30 15,086 09-27-2016 07:09 PM
Last Post: rvandint
  Itchy scalp with bumps and dandruff, is this a scalp condition? GoodHair 6 2,574 11-09-2015 04:23 AM
Last Post: kibria
  Oily scalp buildup: Dandruff, Sebum or Product residue? WesleyGarrett 0 586 09-21-2015 05:40 PM
Last Post: WesleyGarrett
  Dandruff Treatment with Natural Products including Vinegar Sunset 0 759 12-05-2014 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sunset