Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are men with long curly hair so uncommon?
08-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Why are men with long curly hair so uncommon?
Why are men with long curly hair so uncommon? the most famous cases of long curly hair men are Troy Polamalu and Rogelio Samson. But i hardly now any more famous guys... like there was this kid in some singing contest with long curls, there is also some guy who plays a saxophone too. But not many famous guys with long curls. At least that i directly know or can remember right now.
My question is why??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2014, 10:47 AM
RE: Why are men with long curly hair so uncommon?
Maybe because straight hair is popular right now,so most of the famous guy that have wavy/curly hair straightened their hair or prefer keep it short.Also the long coiled hair is not that trendy anymore compare to last century (80s 90s boy bands almost have at least 1 guy that got riddiculous long coiled hair)

Some of the famous curly/wavy hair I know is Johnny Depp,Cristiano Ronaldo and Russel Brand

p.s : imo curly/wavy hair are awesome unless you are an asian (with no beard)
08-26-2014, 02:13 PM
It does seem to have taken a back seat to a lot of other hairstyles as far as I can tell in recent years. Perhaps it's just how the trends go? In another 10 years long curly hair might become the "in" thing again and lots of famous males will follow suit.
08-26-2014, 08:54 PM
My brother actually is rocking long curls. The lenght must be around 12 inch, and he wears it mostly tied back, wich in my opinion looks pretty awesome. He has it also loose from time to time.
He isnt famous toughBig Grin
08-28-2014, 07:07 AM
Great points by the gentlemen above, and I too agree with them.

Since you have mentioned Rogelio Samson, he has mentioned in the past that long curly hair has an added layer of complexity when it comes to hair care which is something I too agree with. Curly hair requires more practice with getting the sebum coating the curls and curly hair will tangle easier than straight hair (given that curly hair, be it wavy or kinky curly, is curved which acts as actual hooks to enable their easier tangling and locking up).

I also agree with moboblubub in that long curly hair for men may very well turn into a fashion trend. Rogelio Samson has been the pioneer in this all and his book The Curly Hair Book really makes it easy for curly men to deal with their curls and even grow them as long as they want. I can think of other long curly haired male celebrities, although you're right in that there aren't many of them (can you imagine Adrian Grenier with long wavy hair or

When it comes to us regular Joes and male curly hair, Rogelio Samson is really at the forefront with his books and his Manly Curls blog and he is the reference to follow IMO, despite his humble attitude and him saying that he is just like any of us regular guys who simply want to have hair to be happy with. From my experience I think these kind of trends actually start as some kind of word of mouth trend between regular guys (especially via the internet) rather than a single male celebrity convincing everyone that long curls is the way to being cool. Long haired men tend to be more self introspecting when it comes to their hair as achieving a long length cannot be pursued by jumping from trend to trend and if one isn't patient.

Again great replies guys!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good pomades to tame and straighten my crazy curly hair Salazar Mojo 1 329 10-18-2016 01:44 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Curly hair blow dry with brush to straighten it, Is it damaged? Ttas664 5 295 10-18-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 14,101 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  curly super dry bush type unshiny hair shau1203 0 277 08-09-2016 03:30 PM
Last Post: shau1203