Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Bruno Mars chose straight hair over curly hair for the Super Bowl halftime
02-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Why Bruno Mars chose straight hair over curly hair for the Super Bowl halftime
Dunno if any of you folks saw Bruno Mars at the Super Bowl but he had his usual hairstyle with straight hair and not curly hair. I saw the poster for the Super Bowl and Bruno Mars appears with curly hair which is his natural hair after all. Then this brotha turns up to the halftime performance with that straight hair pompadour style thing... I hoping to see him wearing his natural curls instead of that faked hairstyle + the dude is starting to burn his hair with the flat iron.
Whats going on?? back when Mars had curly had he always had that fedora hat on not really showing em curls and not he gone all straight hair and all he rock his hairstyle no fedora hat nuthing just him jumping around with a brush up style like Bieber, Malik and the rest of the commercial pop rats crew.
Not playa hating. Kudos to the guy 4 making money and 4 now everybody knows his name. But come on whats wrong with curly hair why does he feel he has to submit to the pressure of looking like the rest of the commercially shaped popstars? dang dude you got curly hair then go and flaunt it dont become another Bieber or Malik cos unlike em you can actually sing.
What you curly bros think about this whole thing?
/rant

this the promotion poster for the performance event with the dude & his curls...

[Image: bruno-mars-super-bowl.jpg?w=640]

and this is how he actually turned up for the performance...

[Image: n-BRUNO-MARS-large570.jpg]

[Image: Bfg1r3xCQAAAUDO.jpg]

[Image: brunosuperbowl02_482x449.jpg]

[Image: article-2550734-1B29A66800000578-482_634x461.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2014, 05:17 PM
RE: Why Bruno Mars chose straight hair over curly hair for the Super Bowl halftime
I agree with you, Robert.

Bruno Mars seems to have chosen the hairstyle path that many curly male celebrities chose once they become famous: to straighten their hair.

It's funny though because the first promotional poster had Bruno Mars with curly hair (the one you posted above) but then the next promotional poster, which was months later, had him in the poster/flyer with straight hair and the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the background, which I believe was a kind of "last minute" change. Interesting to note that Mars' PR manager decided to change his hairstyle for the Super Bowl.

This is the promotional poster with the straight haired quasi Pompadour/Brush Up I'm talking about:

[Image: article-2537979-1A94DBC500000578-391_634x617.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-06-2014, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2014 09:24 AM by Stevens.)
RE: Why Bruno Mars chose straight hair over curly hair for the Super Bowl halftime
It looks like it was a last minute changed like TMHF mentioned. Bruno Mars has been styling his hair with the brush up style for months now yet he appeared in the initial promotion for the performance with curly hair & then the hairstyle gets changed for the promotion?
The one thing to notice is that his brush up hairstyle is exactly the same as the one of Justin Bieber and Zayn Malik whcih are heartthrobs themselves and bring the teenage crowd in. I wouldnt be surprised if Bruno mars managers decided to change his hairstyle to imitate the hairstyle of those 2 to be more commercially appealing.
All you have to do is look at the hairstyles threads in the forum to see how Bieber and Malik are milking the brush up

Justin Bieber brush up style: http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...le-Yay-Nay
Zayn Malik brush up style: http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...s-and-hair

(02-05-2014 05:17 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  I agree with you, Robert.

Bruno Mars seems to have chosen the hairstyle path that many curly male celebrities chose once they become famous: to straighten their hair.

It's funny though because the first promotional poster had Bruno Mars with curly hair (the one you posted above) but then the next promotional poster, which was months later, had him in the poster/flyer with straight hair and the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the background, which I believe was a kind of "last minute" change. Interesting to note that Mars' PR manager decided to change his hairstyle for the Super Bowl.

This is the promotional poster with the straight haired quasi Pompadour/Brush Up I'm talking about:

[Image: article-2537979-1A94DBC500000578-391_634x617.jpg]

Thats true it seems like curly hair for men doesnt have much of a representation or good reputation in the entertainment industry. Justin Timberlake straightening his curly hair just shows how much of a deal this is to these guys.

Obviously this isnt much of an issue but nonetheless it is an interesting topic as it kinda gives away how important *image* is in the entertainment industry and how fake it can be...we first saw it with women - silicone boobs, wigs, extensions, dyes, makeup - now were seen it with guys - straightened hair, permed hair, soles for looking taller *look at Sly*, hair transplants and plugs including the ones going wrong eg Ben Affleck etc
meh I just stopped watching tv some time ago
02-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Imo curly hair isnt seen as aethetic as straight hair by the general pblic because curly hair is usually difficult to style and "dominate", just read tHe Curly Hair Book by Rogelio he talks about how the media helps in extending the negative feelings against curly hair for men and women also Undecided
Look at Justin Timberlake he keeps with his curly hair straightened, his real hair is curly! but he keeps straightening the hair on & on, what kind of message does that send to young men with curly hair? the same with Bruno Mars - he has nice curls and his afro was very aesthetic, women loved it - then he wanted to take a further step become more famous so whats next? straighten your hair dude, no curls allowed.

Justin Timberlake at People's Choice Awards with straight hair

[Image: justin_timberlake.jpg?w=620&h=34...amp;crop=1]

[Image: justin-timberlake-people%27s-choice-awards-2014-gi.jpg]

[Image: justin-timberlake-2014-peoples-choice-awards.jpg?w=600]

Its not like I have curly hair like Bruno Mars so for me this isnt an issue but I can understand guys like Robert mentioning this. TV brainwashes everyone anyway so no point in watching it if you want to live your life with 1 less problem but unfortunately millions of young men get misled by styling trends that go against what they were born with. Not cool imo.
02-16-2014, 06:58 PM
You will be surprise.. all my friends thought the hair of this guy was the one he appeared in for halftime but its obvious since none of them had heard about this guy before
My guess is Bruno Mars had a massive chance to reach out to as many people as possibly in a couple mins and he wanted to be remebered and associated as having a brush up hairstyle with straight hair even tho his hair looks painfully flat ironed and modded lol and fwiw i know jack all about hair i just learn it all in this forum but surely lots of people must be seeing thru his trick and seeing that his current hair has a bizarre texture look.
02-20-2014, 05:38 PM
I can certainly understand why this would bother some of your curly guys but talking on a broader level which is why so many famous curly men in the entertainment industry would rather texturise or dead on straighten their hair over wearing their curls. Justin Timberlake is one lad who really strikes home be cause he has been slowly uncurling his hair until he is now got straight hair. He did it slowly but its as easy as looking at his younger pictures to spot the trick. We talked about Cristiano Ronaldo straightening his hair, then you have Neymar, Alaba, Kevin Prince Boateng and a whole lot more famous guys in this case football players all with straightened hair.

It dont affect me personally but i can feel the sentiment here. I think what Burno Mars went on to do was more of a sign of whats really been cooked in the entertainment industry for which we know it isn't all glitz and glamour. I also see it myself we get a good amount of men wanting permanent hair straightening or at least some texturing of their curls. Usually is black lads wanting texturisers while its white curly young men wanting straightening. At least here in the UK. Just mentioning what i see and the one thing i can only say for certain is that yes a good % of men come in for hair straightening and from talking with older barbers its growing. But you could then argue that hair straightening has become more wide spread. Whatever it may be its a shame there isnt as much styling inspiration to go around for curly men compared to men with straight hair.
Cheers
02-20-2014, 06:13 PM
(02-20-2014 05:38 PM)Bradley Wrote:  I can certainly understand why this would bother some of your curly guys but talking on a broader level which is why so many famous curly men in the entertainment industry would rather texturise or dead on straighten their hair over wearing their curls. Justin Timberlake is one lad who really strikes home be cause he has been slowly uncurling his hair until he is now got straight hair. He did it slowly but its as easy as looking at his younger pictures to spot the trick. We talked about Cristiano Ronaldo straightening his hair, then you have Neymar, Alaba, Kevin Prince Boateng and a whole lot more famous guys in this case football players all with straightened hair.

It dont affect me personally but i can feel the sentiment here. I think what Burno Mars went on to do was more of a sign of whats really been cooked in the entertainment industry for which we know it isn't all glitz and glamour. I also see it myself we get a good amount of men wanting permanent hair straightening or at least some texturing of their curls. Usually is black lads wanting texturisers while its white curly young men wanting straightening. At least here in the UK. Just mentioning what i see and the one thing i can only say for certain is that yes a good % of men come in for hair straightening and from talking with older barbers its growing. But you could then argue that hair straightening has become more wide spread. Whatever it may be its a shame there isnt as much styling inspiration to go around for curly men compared to men with straight hair.
Cheers

Were you, by any chance, referring to this picture of a young Justin Timberlake with his curls plastered in excessive amounts of gel? Big Grin

[Image: GD3LSvs.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good pomades to tame and straighten my crazy curly hair Salazar Mojo 1 314 10-18-2016 01:44 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Curly hair blow dry with brush to straighten it, Is it damaged? Ttas664 5 289 10-18-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 13,761 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  curly super dry bush type unshiny hair shau1203 0 266 08-09-2016 03:30 PM
Last Post: shau1203