Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which hair products for damaged mens hair? shampoo, conditioner etc
09-30-2014, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 09:15 AM by Lordius.)
Which hair products for damaged mens hair? shampoo, conditioner etc
Which hair products to use to fix damaged hair? talking of hair products for men. Are there any shampoos or conditioners for damaged hair? I have been playing with a hair straightener but did not follow the rule of the forum of using a product to protect from the heat (damn me!!) and now my hair looks kinda iffy.

I may be overreacting to it but my hair looks to have at least some damage. It is not responding as good as other times to my hair styling. A sham really as I really had it pretty much to an art now.
Damn this noob mistake... it even says in the mens hair book to be careful with the heat. Any remedies or hair products to fix damaged mens hair? thanks fellas.

Edited to say that I do not mind if the hair products are for women. Guessing hair is just hair so whatever works lol
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-30-2014, 10:02 AM
RE: Which hair products for damaged mens hair? shampoo, conditioner etc
Well I am going to give you my advice from my point of view as a female barber. First, all hair products for women work for men. It is just the change in the packaging for the product but like you said, hair is hair indeed Smile

If you have coloured your hair, fried it with heat appliances or used damaging chemical treatments, then you are most likely in need of serious hair therapy. Most women and men, instead of looking for healthier alternatives, resort to chemical services and heat to get our hair looking the way we want. Unfortunately it's a reality.

If you follow these tips, I guarantee that you will see a huge difference in the health of your hair and won't want to stop touching it. I am posting them as header titles so it is easier to remember. They may look a bit girly but trust me that many guys do them if they know what they are doing about their hair. I am sure some of the barbers in the forum will support these tips too Wink

Use a deep conditioner

Deep conditioner is your hair's best friend. If you use deep conditioner on a regular basis, you will see significant results in the softness of your hair, especially if it's been colour treated or exposed to other chemical services. Rub the conditioner into your hair after shampooing and put on a shower cap, leave it in for about 10 to 20 minutes, then blast it with heat from the blow dryer for the last five minutes, this won't be damaging to your hair because all this heat is doing is enabling the deep conditioner to penetrate the hair shaft. Rinse out and you will instantly feel the silkiness in your hair.

Try hot oil treatments

There are countless varieties of hot oil treatments that you can buy or try at home, but they usually have a similar result, a strong injection of moisture into your hair. Like the previous tip, heat is used to help intensify the treatment to get more significant results. One of my favourite hot oil treatments is a mixture of a teaspoon each of Olive oil, Avocado oil, Coconut oil, Jojoba oil and Almond oil, simply mix in a small bowl and heat for 10 to 15 seconds in the microwave. Apply to your hair and you can either leave it in over night to get maximum results, or you can just leave it in for an hour or two, after the desired time, rinse out and shampoo.

Alternatives to heat styling like flat irons

Using heat appliances on a regular basis can really be damaging to your hair, especially if you aren't careful. There are many alternatives to using heat on your hair that will still get you the results you want with less damaging effects, and once you start using less heat, you can literally see the difference in the health of your hair.

If you are a curly like myself, but want your hair to be straight, then, with damp hair, pull it into a tight bun and pin it so your hair is flat to your scalp. Let it dry, then take out the bun and use a flat iron only to straighten out the kinks from the bun. This way your are saving your hair from the heat of a blow dryer and you don't need to use the flat iron on your whole head.

If it's curls or waves you are going for, you can either sleep in curlers, pin curls or braids. If you want pretty, controlled waves, french braid your hair in to two pigtails when it is damp, then you can either sleep in it, or do it in the morning so your hair dries throughout the day. For a tighter, curlier look, make your braids tighter, if you want softer, beachy waves, then make them looser.

Use the right hair products

Products aren't only for styling, they can make a huge difference in the health of your hair also. My favourite hair product is a heat protection spray, so that when I do decide to use heat on my hair, it is at least protected from the most damage. Products can also save you from further damaging your hair because they help prevent you from using other techniques that are hard on your hair, such as teasing or pulling.

If you have curly or wavy hair that is prone to frizz, then a gel or pomade is best to tame any flyaway hairs or frizziness. If you have straight hair and want volume or body, then a mousse is a great product. There are countless ways to get the style you want without resorting to torturing our hair. This thread about hair products is great for recommendations of products for hair styling.

Diet

Diet plays a huge part in the health of your hair, and really adds meaning to the phrase "You are what you eat". When you are eating a poor diet full of junk food like pizza, fast food, greasy stuff, sugary stuff, etc, it really shows in your hair, making it look dull, lifeless and sometimes greasy or oily. If you are on a healthy diet full of protein and fibre, it also shows in your hair, making it strong, shiny and thick. Your hair is protein so if you add more protein and nutrients to your diet, your hair will thank you for it.

There is even this thread about hair nutrition that I think is a must read for hair nutrition.

Trimming your hair

Sometimes the best way to restore your hair's health is to simply get a haircut. When your hair's ends start to split, they continue to split up the hair shaft until they eventually just break off, which ends up stunting the growth of your hair and makes it look stringy and unhealthy. Once the split ends are chopped off, your hair instantly looks thicker, shinier and healthier, and helps your hair to grow back strong and supple.

Elena
10-04-2014, 10:17 PM
As a older man, who started researching into hair & products, after i lost half my hair....i learnt all the lessons too late - lessons that are precious like the one mentioned above. If you are looking for a leave-in conditioner to use, after all of the above stuff, i have found that the best value product is "Its a 10 Miracle leave in conditioner" (check amazon reviews) which also controls frizz. These kind of products are better than other things that destroy your hair (because they are laden with chemicals). I finally chose to go the economical route, using cocunut oil to control my frizz - will write about this in another post.
11-18-2014, 03:21 AM
(09-30-2014 09:14 AM)Lordius Wrote:  Which hair products to use to fix damaged hair? talking of hair products for men. Are there any shampoos or conditioners for damaged hair? I have been playing with a hair straightener but did not follow the rule of the forum of using a product to protect from the heat (damn me!!) and now my hair looks kinda iffy.

I may be overreacting to it but my hair looks to have at least some damage. It is not responding as good as other times to my hair styling. A sham really as I really had it pretty much to an art now.
Damn this noob mistake... it even says in the mens hair book to be careful with the heat. Any remedies or hair products to fix damaged mens hair? thanks fellas.

Edited to say that I do not mind if the hair products are for women. Guessing hair is just hair so whatever works lol
My hair was damaged due to post op radiotherapy October 2013. Brittle, breaking and loss of shine & body. My hairdresser recommended I use Pro Naturals Hair Repair System. It has returned my hair to what it was pre-radiotherapy. It takes time but it is worth it.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good shampoo for damaged hair and healthy straightened curls? red05five 0 52 11-20-2016 01:56 PM
Last Post: red05five
  Best hair styling wax for Asian men hair? Cool Hair Guy 8 24,655 11-07-2016 11:30 PM
Last Post: aliu123
  Looking for new products, requiring some advice (pics at the end) Magikarp_Approves 0 83 11-06-2016 04:05 PM
Last Post: Magikarp_Approves
  A conditioner that really hydrates hair? boolmir 1 246 10-26-2016 02:57 PM
Last Post: r3dzzz