Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which hair product to use for side swept/curtain hair?
07-01-2015, 11:59 PM
Which hair product to use for side swept/curtain hair?
Hi guys,

As mentioned above, which hair product(s) would be ideal for side swept/curtain hairstyle?

If you're unsure what I meant by that, take a look at Leonardo DiCaprio's hairstyle in Titanic.

Thank you in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2015, 08:37 AM
Use a pomade for your side swept and a leave-in conditioner for your curtained hair.
Well, the first thing is that Leonardo DiCaprio had an amazing mane back in those days. Nowadays, he is already thinning, which proves that young men with thick dense hair should never be 100% confident that they will not thin out in their thirties.

The curtains hairstyle of Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic is a very natural hairstyle. In some scenes, as far as I recall, he does have his hair side swept with pomade, while in most of the other scenes he has his hair parted with a natural look, which is achieved with a leave in conditioner.

Hair product for the side swept hairstyle:

For a the side swept hairstyle of Leonardo DiCaprio, go with a good pomade. Two good pomades that will give you the look that you're after are Suavecito and Layrite. Have a look at my post comparing the Layrite pomade versus the Suavecito pomade to know the difference between these two water based pomades and to know where to buy them at the lowest prices.

In essence, if you want a very high shine, go with the Layrite pomade that I recommend in the linked post.

If you want a darker, less shiny look, go with the Suavecito pomade that I also recommended in that linked post.

In terms of side sweeping your hair, this is the hairstyle that we're talking about and which is the side swept hairstyle that Leonardo DiCaprio had in Titanic.

[Image: bb5e1678202b628324f3627d664ce191.jpg]

Hair product for the curtains hairstyle:

If instead you want to wear a natural curtains hairstyle that just hangs down with no hold, then go with a good leave-in conditioner. Go through this list of great leave-in conditioners for men and choose the one that fits you budget the best. Anyone of them will be a great choice for a men's leave-in conditioner.

You use a leave-in conditioner like you use any other hairstyling product. Just coat your hair with the leave-in conditioner with your hair being a little damp (e.g. after a shower when you've dried your hair with a towel). Let your hair air dry alone or use a good men's hair dryer to get more volume than you usually attain on your own.

With the recommended leave-in conditioners in that linked list above, you'd be getting this texture and hairstyle of Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic.

[Image: 904ad15605d5918e4aa896561afdd6ee.jpg]

[Image: 5d4ef351eed7f3d94f62abc34594cf6e.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-02-2015, 09:12 PM
RE: Which hair product to use for side swept/curtain hair?
Thank you for the response!

However, in another thread with regards to Leo's curtain hair, it is said that the hair product used was styling cream instead.

May I know what is the difference between them?
07-03-2015, 07:58 AM
The difference between a leave-in conditioner and a styling cream is in the shine.
Yes, that is correct; you can also use a styling cream for the curtained hairstyle of Leonardo DiCaprio. I didn't mention it in my first reply because you can get confused with what hair product is suitable for which hairstyle and having several products for a same hairstyle can get you confused (not you yourself, but anyone who isn't acquainted with men's hair product).

We have recommended a styling cream before for the curtains hairstyle. The main difference between a styling cream and a leave-in conditioner is in the finished texture. With a styling cream, you will get a natural shine that looks more natural than that of pomade. A styling cream does have some hold, although the hold of styling creams (especially of the styling creams that we recommend) is low. Hence a styling cream is perfect for men who want naturally-shining curtained hair with some hold.

On the other hand, a leave-in conditioner will not give you any shine or hold. A leave-in conditioner will give you gloss and softness on your hair. Since a leave-in conditioner has no hold at all, it is perfect for loose hairstyles like the middle part hairstyle with curtains. So, if you don't want any extra shine and just want your hair to feel soft and look healthy, then get a leave-in conditioner.

If you want to slick back your curtained hair a little, you will not be able to do so with a leave-in conditioner because leave-in conditioners do not provide any hold. If you want to slick back your curtained hair a little, then get a styling cream.

Just go through our recommended men's hair products guide to find the styling cream that we recommend. I should warn you that styling creams are not cheap, hence, if your budget doesn't allow for the high price of a styling cream, you can easily buy a leave-in conditioner as you go-to hairstyling product for the middle-parted curtains hairstyle! Smile

Let me know if you're confused about the above in any way. But the difference between a leave-in conditioner and a styling cream is quite basic and easy to discern.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-03-2015, 11:00 AM
RE: Which hair product to use for side swept/curtain hair?
Wow, I must thank you for the great and in-depth response!

I have read the link that you've just posted and the other thread regarding Leo's curtain hairstyle.

And according to the link you've posted, Moroccanoil Hydrating Styling Cream is recommended while the other thread recommends One 'n Only Argan Oil Styling Cream.

So, I was wondering, which is better in this case? or is it solely up to my preference?

Thank you in advance! Smile
07-03-2015, 11:35 AM
It's up to you which hairstyling cream to buy as they're both great products!
Yes, it's up to you which hairstyling cream to get since the two are very similar. We usually recommend that particular hairstyling cream from Moroccan oil in our recommended hair products list because it has a great track record in our forum and it really does the job. However, you can always try the One and Only styling cream if you aren't sure of which to pick up since that one will give you very similar results. If your budget allows for it, however, get the Moroccan oil hairstyling cream, though.

All (good) styling creams follow the same core properties that I posted in my earlier replies, although some will provide additional properties or be priced at different prices. In any case, styling creams are among the most expensive hairstyling product available for men, although they aren't hugely expensive when you compare them pound for pound. It's just that more expensive ingredients are used in styling creams as opposed to, say, pomades.

For anyone wondering which styling cream product we're talking about, it's the one listed in this post on Leonardo DiCaprio's hairstyles throughout his career.

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Restylable, matte, water-based product for fine, medium-length hair nysharps 0 58 11-29-2016 12:08 AM
Last Post: nysharps
  Which product makes thick hair not clump together? Zatem 0 82 11-11-2016 01:56 PM
Last Post: Zatem
  Best hair styling wax for Asian men hair? Cool Hair Guy 8 24,653 11-07-2016 11:30 PM
Last Post: aliu123
  Best mens hair conditioner for damaged hair hapaa 4 436 10-06-2016 04:19 AM
Last Post: oslec8