Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which electric shavers or dry shaving for sensitive skin? Tips
11-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Which electric shavers or dry shaving for sensitive skin? Tips
Hey guys, good to be here!

I joined to get some feedback on electric shavers, wet or dry, among other things...

I have crazy sensitive facial skin (but perfectly smooth, no acne or anything) and my hair tends to be a little thick. No matter how many electric shavers I try, they all feel like they rip at my hair and burn my skin leaving it red and very irritated. Especially the triple rotary type.

I've thus been having to old school razor shave with aloe/skin sensitive shaving cream for the past decade. Well I'm really getting sick of it. Because of this I have a goatee and only shave once a week. Now I have a job that demands a fully shaven face, DAILY. So I need a solution. I've never tried a wet electric shaver with a mirror in the shower kinda thing, perhaps that might be the best for me.

Looking forward to being a part of the community, I'm turning 35 in January so I'm focusing more on my health so I don't age so damn fast now!

Alex
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2014, 12:01 PM
RE: Which electric shavers or dry shaving for sensitive skin? Tips
Looks like I'm down to comparing the Braun CoolTec CT5cc vs. the Braun Series 5 5040s.

Both are wet/dry, just looking for feedback on which is the best.

It's frustrating I can't post in the right sub-forum yet even though my account is activated?!
11-03-2014, 12:20 PM
(11-03-2014 12:01 PM)92GTA Wrote:  Looks like I'm down to comparing the Braun CoolTec CT5cc vs. the Braun Series 5 5040s.

Both are wet/dry, just looking for feedback on which is the best.

It's frustrating I can't post in the right sub-forum yet even though my account is activated?!

Welcome!

Yes you can post in any forum section, but you need 11 posts to open a thread.

In any case, going by your case, I highly suggest that you try THIS shaver from Philips which proactively uses a soothing cream (from Nivea) as it passes through your facial hair and skin. And yes, it's a wet electric shaver.

The wet electric shaver in the link above is perfect for your case as we also have a forum member i the forum who reviews shavers and he too has extremely sensitive skin. You can check his Philips Norelco HS8420 review for more on the shaver although I suggest you look at the page on the first link I gave you as that comes with lots and lots of reviews too and you can get the shaver from that page at the lowest price online.

But, as said, a wet electric shaver with a soothing cream is right up your alley since dry shaving is taking a toll on your face (this is common by the way, and the best option is to use a wet electric shaver like the one above).

Feel free to let us know how it goes and you can post in the review page in the second link if you want too Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
11-03-2014, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 12:25 PM by 92GTA.)
Thanks for the quick reply and explanation of why I couldn't start a thread.

I'll check out that one you linked to, thanks! I'm really skeptical I will like any rotary shaver though, all of them hurt my neck really bad. I have an entire drawer of new rotary shavers lol.

Alex
11-03-2014, 12:44 PM
(11-03-2014 12:23 PM)92GTA Wrote:  Thanks for the quick reply and explanation of why I couldn't start a thread.

I'll check out that one you linked to, thanks! I'm really skeptical I will like any rotary shaver though, all of them hurt my neck really bad. I have an entire drawer of new rotary shavers lol.

Alex

Yes, I get you. I also tend to be wary of rotary shavers, although I find foil shavers to be more irritating to the skin, and I don't have particularly sensitive skin. That wet electric shaver above in the links in my previous post (the HS8420 shaver) is very much worth its price in my opinion as it gives you a very close shave, much better than higher-priced shavers. Not to mention that the line of Philips Norelco gets way more expensive and they don't deal with irritation as good as the HS8420 (which is the one I recommend to you in the links of my previous post).

One tip that will further improve your shaving experience with this wet electric shaver is to also use a shaving gel. Since the shaver is wet electric, there's no problem with this, and using shaving gel will further protect you from skin irritation. Couple that with the super closeness of the HS8420 and I certainly believe you should give one last try to rotary shavers as that one can certainly be the one that finally works for you (I was very surprised with the HS8420 shaver myself and, like you, I'm skeptic of the rotary shavers).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
11-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Hmmm. Now you have me thinking lol.

I came into this closed minded too I guess. I was ready to try a foil shaver for the first time, spend whatever it took to get the best one, and also try shower shaving for the first time lol.

Sounds like I could use this out of the shower too with the shave gel which is good because I like to save water plus I have a room mate that showers same time of the morning I do.

Decisions, decisions.

I think I will find a brick a mortar store to buy it and have it ago so I can easily and quickly return it without issue. Return shipping is so costly now and such a PITA, that's why I never return them lol.
11-03-2014, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 01:00 PM by 92GTA.)
Side note (to build up post count haha), I also have been using "Ultrax Labs Hair Surge Caffeine Hair Loss Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo" for the past several months for thinning hair on the top rear of my head.

I wish I had tried it 2yrs sooner when I started loosing hair every shower, I'm such a lazy idiot some times! It does a great job of stopping hair loss and has, but I'm not seeing much in results for it growing back :/ Any thoughts on what might be better? I only got it because of the awesome reviews on Amazon. So yeah, I'm here for the hair loss sub-forum too.

I bought Minoxidil but only used it once after I read it caused more hair loss before starting to regrow my hair and the results would only last 2-3 years! Forget that.

Man, almost being 35 and single is turning me into a women in the maintenance department!
11-03-2014, 01:11 PM
(11-03-2014 12:56 PM)92GTA Wrote:  Side note (to build up post count haha), I also have been using "Ultrax Labs Hair Surge Caffeine Hair Loss Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo" for the past several months for thinning hair on the top rear of my head.

I wish I had tried it 2yrs sooner when I started loosing hair every shower, I'm such a lazy idiot some times! It does a great job of stopping hair loss and has, but I'm not seeing much in results for it growing back :/ Any thoughts on what might be better? I only got it because of the awesome reviews on Amazon. So yeah, I'm here for the hair loss sub-forum too.

I bought Minoxidil but only used it once after I read it caused more hair loss before starting to regrow my hair and the results would only last 2-3 years! Forget that.

Man, almost being 35 and single is turning me into a women in the maintenance department!

LOL Same here before joining this forum i thought everything was fine and whatever my hair and facial hair was then so be it. The the guys here started telling me ticks, i started reading thread after thread and some new world of opportunities magically open for me.
The good thing is not that expensive if you listen to the guys here as they always help us out posting good sources where to buy products and what to look out for. But my girl caught me spending too much time reading threads here and was asking me why the sudden interest in looking better, if i was cheating on her and all the staff women will get paranoid about when it comes to us wanting to look a bit better.

About Amazon i think it is the best place for buying products for hair and shaving. I only returned a product once and it wasn't even a product recommended by the guys here, it was a gift for my dad. Getting a refund was super easy and they actually gave me some extra credit to buy the gift i was wanting to get my dad. Just saying this cause i know how going to a brick and mortar store gives you that sense of not having issues with returning items or refunds but i can tell you that Amazon goes the extra mile to ensure customer satisfaction when it comes to returns and refunds.
I was amazed with Amazon since i have had countless problems with other online stores for refunds and returns. Somehow Amazon sides with you instead of with them selves for refunds/returns so they lose money not you if anything goes wrong. I guess this is the reason for Amazon owning the whole e-commerce industry like a boss.

Dude you will learn a lot of things and be taken for surprises in this forum like all of us once when we were newbies!
11-03-2014, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 01:26 PM by 92GTA.)
Haha, oh yeah, I remember that from when I was married over 10yrs ago lol. She didn't even like me going to the gym as often.

I think I've just started to get a better appreciation for the fact my body is slowing down in the metabolism department and I am losing hair. It's a real wake up call to start doing something now in terms of a real lifestyle change that will have to continue until I'm 90 and just don't care anymore ha! My old man kicked it at 88 and freakin looked like he was barely 65! Lucky SOB drank, smoked, and never went to a gym, very fit and still had a full head of black hair with some silver, never grey, like WTF is your secret old man! Go figure, I got stuck with the genes from my moms side. I don't smoke, do drugs, drink soda or coffee. No energy drinks, take my GNC vitamin pack, but I do like to party it up with the alcohol some weekends. I not all crazy into like vegan only and vegetable juicing but shoot, I might get there who knows lol. I feel and act like I'm 22 still. I hit on this 20yr old chick on Saturday and my buddy had to call me out on it, I'm just still used to the younger crowd but that's changing fast and I've realized it.

Yeah I'm looking forward to learning what I can and making more informed decisions.
11-03-2014, 01:29 PM
(11-03-2014 01:21 PM)92GTA Wrote:  Haha, oh yeah, I remember that from when I was married over 10yrs ago lol. She didn't even like me going to the gym as often.

I think I've just started to get a better appreciation for the fact my body is slowing down in the metabolism department and I am losing hair. It's a real wake up call to start doing something now in terms of a real lifestyle change that will have to continue until I'm 90 and just don't care anymore ha! My old man kicked it at 88 and freakin looked like he was barely 65! Lucky SOB drank, smoked, and never went to a gym, very fit and still had a full head of black hair with some silver, never grey, like WTF is your secret old man! Go figure, I got stuck with the genes from my moms side.

Yeah I'm looking forward to learning what I can and making more informed decisions.

Yeah i know what your saying. I also have family members who are genetic gods of aesthetics, then i look at myself and ask 'why'? there is a post somewhere in the forum where TMHF (admin) says how at the end of the day its genetics. You can improve your weaknesses a lot and use tricks and products but there is no escaping the genetic destiny.
Like say hair loss, there is no cure yet. You can slow it down and maybe regrow some hair back or maintain but never cure it. I never knew that and learned it all in this forum. I used to think all those ads about curing hair loss were true and the reality is all lies. This forum is doing a service to the male specie. So much money we can be losing by just going with the hair ads... Undecided

You gonna have a blast in the forum with so much to learn. Go thru the threads you will get lots of styling ideas. Sorry cant be of help with the shaver as i am learning about them too but there are lots of experts in the forum and barbers who post in the forum all the time who can help you out.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Philips Norelco 1150X/40 SensoTouch 2D Electric Shaver Review A London Barber 0 92 10-26-2016 02:08 PM
Last Post: A London Barber
  Review of Braun CoolTec CT5cc Mens Shaving System Kit A London Barber 0 84 10-26-2016 01:51 PM
  Philips Norelco 1280X/47 SensoTouch 3D Electric Razor review A London Barber 0 85 10-26-2016 10:36 AM
Thumbs Up Top Ten Philips Norelco Electric Shavers for Men Reviews Sunset 2 1,850 10-11-2016 10:58 AM
Last Post: sleeping cat