Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to place man bun hairstyle on the head?
03-20-2015, 08:00 AM
Where to place man bun hairstyle on the head?
I am curious to know what's the best place on the head to put the man bun hairstyle? I was looking at the official thread in the forum for man buns and it looks like it's somewhere around the back of the head but some are lower than others. Also what's up with this pineapple man bun haha
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2015, 10:32 AM
RE: Where to place man bun hairstyle on the head?
I was reading this post on GQ Magazine's website where a certain 'top London barber' (Carmelo Guastella) pointed out what was wrong with Leonardo DiCaprio's man bun compared to Jared Leto's. Here's what was said about the positioning of the bun:

"For men buns are generally more a matter of commodity, a way of keeping hair out of your face. If you look at Jared Leto, you can see that this kind of style can make guys look quite macho, you just have to be careful where you place it. The best location is on top at a 90-degree angle from your crown, so it goes outwards and not upwards. DiCaprio's was going straight up - that was the first mistake."

But to me, I think it all depends on how comfortable it will be for you, whichever position it is. After all, one of the plus points of this hairstyle is the ability to wake up, tie it up and get on with your day. No products, nothing. Then again... what is my opinion compared to a top London barber right? Wink
03-20-2015, 01:51 PM
The man bun should be styled on the vertex of the head.
Bear in mind that the use of buns by men as hairstyles has been in place for centuries, so the recent man bun trend isn't the first time that men have had the idea of growing their hair long and tying it into a bun! Smile

Now, the most common location of a man bun is on the vertex, which is also known as the crown of your head. This is essentially the back of the top of your head, and men usually have a cowlick right, which is in part why the bun is placed on the vertex so as to hide the cowlick and the hairless patch that is innate to a cowlick.

You can place your man bun elsewhere on the head, there really is no fashion police going around fining men for not having their hipster buns on the vertex. You can wear your bun low as manly men have done through the centuries, or you could place the bun a bit forward on the top of your head for a pineapple hairstyle. For anyone curious as to what a pineapple hairstyle is, it's the last picture on the following set of pictures I'm posting.

The pictures below will give you a good idea of where the vertex is and how the bun is placed on it (well, except the last picture, that's the pineapple bun LOL).

[Image: 91325ae75affc61e737bebcf8cca264d.jpg]

[Image: e77ee1482802c58687a7f9e5437559a4.jpg]

[Image: yUofR7x.jpg]

[Image: 8922d5511a75b784a6a9811585c3fe83.jpg]

[Image: 0JThWwb.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-21-2015, 07:30 AM
Dude i'm surprised you don't know where the bun goes on the head since the manbun is like all over the forum with the guide and hundreds of pics lol are you planning on growing a man bun?? last i heard from you - you were doing something like a brush up undercut hairstyle?
Are you growing that out and keeping the undercut??
03-21-2015, 03:44 PM
On the crown is where I keep my man bun, I personally don't like it sitting on top of the head.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 60 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  In over my head... DeloricVI 0 109 11-11-2016 09:28 PM
Last Post: DeloricVI
  Medium slickback hairstyle Gias98 0 281 10-20-2016 12:50 PM
Last Post: Gias98
  Help identify my hair for a new hairstyle gabriel777 2 308 10-18-2016 09:34 AM
Last Post: gabriel777