Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did you start to notice / grow facial hair
05-01-2014, 01:15 PM
When did you start to notice / grow facial hair
So ive seen a lot of threads recently about using beards and using them to complete haircuts etc , Im currently 18 and barely grow any facial hair , The only part of my face that hair growth is noticeable is mustahce , Other than that , No sideburns , No beard hair etc , quite a lot of people that I know have talked about not having any facial hair aswell and I was just wondering , For the people who do have a lot (Or atleast enough to style /groom the way you want to) when did it start getting noticing your facial hair grow and if it is at an early age (around 18) , What can you do to promote hair growth and for anyone not growing hair at 18-19 , Does that mean they wont grow hair at all (Or at least much hair?)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2014, 02:38 PM
RE: When did you start to notice / grow facial hair
man for me it was similar. I ended up growing a full beard but it didn't happen until age 27-28. When I was 18 it was basically some sideburns and the moustache but hardly any chin or jaw hair. I had some fuzzy hairs, they call them peach hairs which eventually matured into thick hairs. That is actually what happens to facial ahir after many years of exposure to testosterone only that some guys get it faster by age 16 and others take a decade longer.

Its same for chest hair. Actually I think chest hair takes even longer to develop, some of the experts in the forum can correct me if wrong but speaking to a doctor friend of mine he mentioned that men continue to mature physically until age 35 and then from there its downhill lol most physical changes though do happen in early 20s as in maximum muscle mass and height.
05-02-2014, 02:51 PM
(05-02-2014 02:38 PM)James Wrote:  man for me it was similar. I ended up growing a full beard but it didn't happen until age 27-28. When I was 18 it was basically some sideburns and the moustache but hardly any chin or jaw hair. I had some fuzzy hairs, they call them peach hairs which eventually matured into thick hairs. That is actually what happens to facial ahir after many years of exposure to testosterone only that some guys get it faster by age 16 and others take a decade longer.

Its same for chest hair. Actually I think chest hair takes even longer to develop, some of the experts in the forum can correct me if wrong but speaking to a doctor friend of mine he mentioned that men continue to mature physically until age 35 and then from there its downhill lol most physical changes though do happen in early 20s as in maximum muscle mass and height.

Thanks for the input , I realise I might have to wait a while but at least I know there is still some hope haha , Im not really after a full on thick beard anyway , I think the only style I would like is a clean short beard (Think its called designer beard / stubble or something?)
05-02-2014, 03:33 PM
You are only 18 so you have a good decade to mature your facial hair like ti happened to me Smile

Designer beard mind you, I think it is when you have stubble but you must be able to grow a ful beard. So you need to have the mature hair of the beard instead of the fuzzy hairs. The guys covered designer beards in this trendy beards styles thread.

If you go thru the reply in that thread of TMHF describing all the types of beards, you will see he uses a pic of George Michael to describe a designer beard which I find quite spot on. For example if someone in a conversation mentions George Michael for what ever reason, my mind would picture George Michael with that groomed stubble. It was the eighties yet the day was there rocking the look.

You may be interested in another type of beard style, the rap industrial. TMHF also covers it in his reply in that thread. If you are in the Uk then you will associate it with Ali G as Ali G did have the rap industry beard style. Another guy was Craig David btw
05-02-2014, 03:46 PM
i was such a late bloomer i swear... 18 years old and not a sign of facial hair mega LOL!! the one thing though is i am still growing and getting taller and wide shoulders which is usually what happens for us late bloomers. In high school I was the tiny guy while all my friends and the jocks were all shaving and some were even balding from using steroids be cause of the competition to get a football scholarship. Some impressive dudes with six packs and huge biceps and all that.
I was all lanky thru high school and then starting getting taller and bigger and plus the facial hair finally starting to grow at 20. The only complaint from me is that all this rats could have happened like 6 years ago dammit lol when you are 15 or 16 all the girls want the big muscle jocks and not the guys who like they have yet to hit puberty Big Grin

My beard is slowly but surely getting thee so dude don't worry about it. My father as a full beard and his brothers do too so hopefully I get one too. Can your father grow a bull or semi beard? ime from what i saw wit my friends was that if there fathers had good amounts of facial hair then they their sons would eventually get one too but in their early to mid twenties. So... another dude here joining the 18 to 25 crew who don't have a full beard yet lol one sure thing how ever is that we ain't going bald for sure ha
05-08-2014, 02:11 PM
(05-02-2014 03:46 PM)Machado Wrote:  i was such a late bloomer i swear... 18 years old and not a sign of facial hair mega LOL!! the one thing though is i am still growing and getting taller and wide shoulders which is usually what happens for us late bloomers. In high school I was the tiny guy while all my friends and the jocks were all shaving and some were even balding from using steroids be cause of the competition to get a football scholarship. Some impressive dudes with six packs and huge biceps and all that.
I was all lanky thru high school and then starting getting taller and bigger and plus the facial hair finally starting to grow at 20. The only complaint from me is that all this rats could have happened like 6 years ago dammit lol when you are 15 or 16 all the girls want the big muscle jocks and not the guys who like they have yet to hit puberty Big Grin

My beard is slowly but surely getting thee so dude don't worry about it. My father as a full beard and his brothers do too so hopefully I get one too. Can your father grow a bull or semi beard? ime from what i saw wit my friends was that if there fathers had good amounts of facial hair then they their sons would eventually get one too but in their early to mid twenties. So... another dude here joining the 18 to 25 crew who don't have a full beard yet lol one sure thing how ever is that we ain't going bald for sure ha

Haha what you explained above is exactly me haha (First paragraph) but im still 18 so im yet to know if I will grow one in the 20s , Lets hope so haha
05-15-2014, 06:20 PM
The growth of facial hair is unique to each male. Some men can have full beards by age 15 while others need to reach age 25. And then, other men will simply not be able to grow a full beard and would instead only grow a patchy beard. Ultimately, it boils down to your genes, and you can have a good idea of what beard density and shape you're going to end up by looking at the males on both sides of your family and not just at your father.

The way your hair looks or feels comes down to the follicle density in the face and how the follicles are distributed. Other factors include exposure to dihydrotestosterone (which is a male hormone) and how your follicles react to its exposure. For example, it is a myth that men with full beards have more dihydrotestosterone or that they are manlier (since dihydrotestosterone is a male-only hormone responsible for masculine attributes). The same way that a myth exists that bald men are more masculine than non-balding men as dihydrotestosterone is what sparks the male pattern baldness process.

Anyway, the conclusion to all of this is that you cannot really tell how much of a beard you're capable of growing until you are 25 years of age, although I believe the age is even higher as I know cases of guys who "finally" got their beards when they were 28 to 30 years old. Don't worry about it and be happy that you at least have scalp hair to style Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-21-2014, 08:08 AM
Well I started to shave when I was about 16-17 I think, but its all genetics, some actually get their beards and mustache when they are 28 years old. But it depends, but don't think that you will still get it, my brother is 23 and only has a bit of mustache and no beard at all. While I look like the older brother (22) because of the beard and mustache.
In short it all depends if you got the genetics. If you don't well, there is always hair at your armpits, shave it and stick it on your face and look fabulous and proud.
06-27-2014, 07:59 AM
I started shaving around 17, but it was patchy and fluffy, at 18 I tried to grow a beard, big mistake as it was fluff rather than a beard and simply didn't look right, so I "stubble shaved" daily till I was 21, at 21 I finally managed a goatee but there was no real side growth, I must have been around 25 when I managed to finally grow what resembled a full beard and it just kept getting better with age.
07-08-2014, 10:11 AM
I started getting my facial hair in at 14, and had to start shaving at 16. by 18, I had solid harsh hair growing.
08-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Mine started to grow about when I was 14. My beard grows very quickly and grows thick to the point I just stopped shaving it and let it grow. I have friends who are like 25 and have a whisper of hair.
08-10-2014, 10:25 AM
I started growing facial hair when I was 14. Started with the mustache area, then the chin, then on the cheeks, then below my chin. I'm 25 and still can't grow a full beard. Hate my patchy facial hair. Angry
08-17-2014, 08:25 PM
my moustache started at around 13, with little bit of chin hair, then my moustache went crazy at 15, so i shaved it off with my chin hair..

now, 20+ , both are growing at crazy rate.
11-19-2014, 09:31 AM
I shaved a couple of times in high school more to find out what it was like than as a necessity. I don't remember growing any actual beard hair. After high school I joined the Marines at 18 and in boot camp we were required to shave daily. I continued to shave daily and only found out that I could actually grow some decent facial hair when I was 24 and on leave. I skipped shaving for a few days and had some decent stubble coming in. I had taken 30 days leave, so over that period of time I kept it trimmed to a circle beard. After being discharged I experimented with full beards as well as circle beards.

Fast forward to today and I have very thick facial hair, although now graying, and I love having a beard. Due to an abundance of grays on the sides and the usually warmer weather here, I mostly wear a circle beard and side burns.

I have a couple of friends at work that are in their late 30's and still can't grow a decent beard. It's thin and patchy. It bothers them as they bring it up fairly often and compare theirs with mine. I feel fortunate to have good facial hair that I can sculpt how I want.
11-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Started noticing when I was 13. Got chin hair when I was 14.

I'm only 16 now but since I'm Asian I can't really grow a good beard lol.
11-23-2014, 08:01 PM
(11-22-2014 01:53 PM)PhoKingTasty Wrote:  I'm only 16 now but since I'm Asian I can't really grow a good beard lol.

Don't disregard the Fu Man Chu. I've always thought that was a very cool look. Asian in origin and emulated a lot in fringe circles. It, or a modified version shows up quite often in movies on characters depicting "rough" characters. I just watched Bad Country the other day, and the mustache Matt Dillon sports in it is recognizably a descendent of the Fu.
11-27-2014, 10:03 PM
(11-23-2014 08:01 PM)Unshorn Wrote:  
(11-22-2014 01:53 PM)PhoKingTasty Wrote:  I'm only 16 now but since I'm Asian I can't really grow a good beard lol.

Don't disregard the Fu Man Chu. I've always thought that was a very cool look. Asian in origin and emulated a lot in fringe circles. It, or a modified version shows up quite often in movies on characters depicting "rough" characters. I just watched Bad Country the other day, and the mustache Matt Dillon sports in it is recognizably a descendent of the Fu.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I'll be rocking a Fu Man Chu to school lol. My mustache and beard look so bad when I grow it out. Just gonna get used to shaving it all.
11-30-2014, 01:57 AM
haha, i was 12 and my mustache came and then when i was 14 i had a full beard, grows at crazy rates, what can i say arab genetics.
12-05-2014, 01:24 PM
(11-30-2014 01:57 AM)Fury_ Wrote:  haha, i was 12 and my mustache came and then when i was 14 i had a full beard, grows at crazy rates, what can i say arab genetics.

Would you guys recommend wet shaving for someone with acne prone skin? I have these red marks, pimples, and bumps here and there. I usually use an electric razor but I was thinking of switching to wet shaving.
12-17-2014, 01:39 PM
Never really tried until my current girlfriend suggested it. Been going strong for 5 months now and it's coming in nice. Can't post photos but maybe once I get 50 posts. Anyway, I'll be one to tell you if you haven't started because you think it won't look good, give it a try...you mgiht surprise yourself - I did.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can I grow skyrim beard Skyrimbeard 1 156 11-15-2016 11:47 AM
Last Post: Cemmos
  Facial hair taxonomy - Illustrative reference in sections The Hairstylist 0 212 10-09-2016 09:25 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  Facial hair and beard styles stereotypes in the media - Report The Hairstylist 0 218 10-09-2016 09:07 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  How to grow full beard without facial hair looking silly? 13C200 0 359 10-01-2016 08:48 AM
Last Post: 13C200