Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats the difference between quality products
04-26-2014, 08:04 AM
Whats the difference between quality products
I have always wondered, is the difference of a styling product of 23 euros and 6 euros that big?
Right now I am using Syoss men extreme strong hold styling paste (got like 6-7 inches hair).
and according Rogelio for long hair the best is Biosilk by Biosilk Glazing Gel Light Hold for Unisex, 12 Ounce.
What are the differences between these 2? Does one give more volume or give more shining or defines the curls?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2014, 12:48 PM
RE: Whats the difference between quality products
Usually the light hold hair gels need an enhanced formulation that can differ among brands with regards as to how they alter the formula on their light hold gel from the more consistent formula of the medium to strong gels. In other words, you need to be a bit more careful with the light hold gels.

Biosilk is also a premium brand and they are pretty good from personal experience. I know a couple of guys in the forum who use the Biosilk hair gel, including Jurgen. That hair gel is actually pretty good for long hair because not only the hold is light but it is also not very weighting so it gives the curls definition and movement freedom, so that's a good option for long curly hair.

As an example, American Crew has a higher price for its light hold hair gel, yet it is only 3.2 ounces heavier (i.e. more product). American Crew is not a premium brand and they tend to focus on price dropping, yet their light hold hair gel is set at a relatively-high price (and not that high considering what I have mentioned earlier about light hold gels).

You can check out this American Crew hair gel that I am referencing in this post, which is also distributed by Amazon alone without further intermediaries (which would otherwise further increase the cost). On the other hand, the Biosilk hair gel which you can see in this Amazon page is distributed by another supplier but sold at Amazon.

There are also other factors to take into account when it comes to quality of a product in relation to its price. Not all cheap products are bad quality and not all highly priced products are high quality. As said, Biosilk is more of a premium brand and those tend to have higher prices as they use higher quality products and tend to focus more on formulation than in lowering price for mass consumption.

You have to also take into account how much mark up the distributor adds etc so price cannot always be used a a reliable gauge for product quality and especially when there is such disparity between premium and mass market products. Instead, go with recommendations or suggestions from people whom you trust, and Rogelio not only is the person who knows the most about male hair on the whole of the internet but he is also one of the most trustworthy individuals to get any kind of advice from (just check out his fitness advice to know how much he hates all BS and zombie dust products!). The suggestion he made for the Biosilk hair gel for long curly hair is a solid one, that's for sure.

Lastly you can always check with us any products you have in mind and we can always give our opinions on them Wink

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Yea I agree with the 'premium' label. Biosilk is a high quality brand which means better ingredients & better functionality - sorry I just went thru a whole post on the wax product range for the Gatsby hair wax & still have the 'functionality' word stuck in my mind lol

Also regular gel is easier to make & I assume by that cheaper cause of a generic formula. TMHF probably knows better & like he posted above it looks to be the case that the strong gels come to be cheaper than changing formula to produce lighter gels. But for the amount & the quality, the Biosilk gel is good priced considering it is a light gel.
The problem with cheap gels of the regular kind is they cause flaking & they are rats for any type of curly hair. If you look at the hair types, most men have some kind of curly hair & strong cheap gels will gel the curls causing tangling + other chaos. That is why light hair gel for curly hair - especially LONG curly hair - is what you should be getting - if you have curly hair ofc.
05-13-2014, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the advice, i never knew about this difference, and yeah i do have something between curly and wavy hair. I am letting them grow, doing that for half a year now.
Again Thanks.

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mens Hair Products: Quick Useful 101 Guide The Hairstylist 1 157 Today 03:51 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Brazilian blowout vs hair relaxer for men - Difference? Refrusloi 2 75 10-19-2016 07:56 PM
Last Post: r3dzzz
Smile Are there good products to dye your beard orange? Duaov 1 131 09-16-2016 04:55 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  If you could solve one problem with male hair products what would it be and why? TotalHairNoob 0 167 08-08-2016 07:40 AM
Last Post: TotalHairNoob