Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do with my hair
07-01-2013, 04:09 PM
What to do with my hair
My whole life (18 now) I had a buzz cut because I couldn't be bother to style etc. I've been growing it out recently and realised how bad my hair genetics are. I really want to style a quiff but every time I try to do it, it just doesn't work. My hair flows in one direction (left to right) and looks really weird.

Any suggestions on what I can do with it?

[Image: 745E329A-E6AF-431B-A279-E902EF63A2A8-687...5B78D5.jpg]
[Image: 13A2CA96-9D04-42D8-90CB-2EC31F7F71AF-687...01BC23.jpg]
[Image: 538C535A-E788-438A-B785-209C31F56946-687...87D948.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2013, 05:13 PM
RE: What to do with my hair
Your hair "genetics" are not bad. You need more hair length on the front, get a tapered haircut on the top (crown to forehead). Also, maybe get an asymmetric cut on the front too although you need a skilled barber for that.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-01-2013, 05:22 PM
(07-01-2013 05:13 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Your hair "genetics" are not bad. You need more hair length on the front, get a tapered haircut on the top (crown to forehead). Also, maybe get an asymmetric cut on the front too although you need a skilled barber for that.

What's a tappered cut? My barber is quite skilled and can ask for it. And what do you mean by asymmetrical? Sorry for all the questions, I'm a big newb.
07-02-2013, 10:10 AM
How short should I get the sides and should it be faded? Should I leave the top to grow for a couple of months?
07-02-2013, 04:11 PM
A fade and a taper are interchangeable most of the time although I see them different. A taper haircut is a gradual decrease in hair length as it approaches the hairline of the back and sides.

Asymmetrical is when the Quiff is styled so that it is not centered and the hair on the front is cut at different lengths to enhance the Quiff. If you tell your barber you want to be able to sport an asymmetrical Quiff hairstyle he should know what and how to cur the hair. An asymmetrical Quiff hairstyle is like the one in the picture attached below.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-02-2013, 05:31 PM
(07-02-2013 04:11 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  A fade and a taper are interchangeable most of the time although I see them different. A taper haircut is a gradual decrease in hair length as it approaches the hairline of the back and sides.

Asymmetrical is when the Quiff is styled so that it is not centered and the hair on the front is cut at different lengths to enhance the Quiff. If you tell your barber you want to be able to sport an asymmetrical Quiff hairstyle he should know what and how to cur the hair. An asymmetrical Quiff hairstyle is like the one in the picture attached below.

First of all, thank you so much for your help.

So I should get a taper hair cut and get the front asymmetrically cut? Should I grow my hair for a period of time before visiting my barber or go in regularly and keep it tame? How short should I have the sides also?

And I can't see that picture
07-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Yes, you can get a taper haircut if you want but you currently have an Undercut which is fine as Quiff hairstyles do very well with Undercuts. Your goal is to grow the hair longer on the top while keeping the sides/back neat during the journey (either a taper haircut or an Undercut).

When the hair on the top is long enough, say double the length of your hair now (so about 4 months of hair growth from today), tell the barber you want to have a the hair tapered on the top so that the hair is about one inch longer on the front than the back of the top of the head. You also tell him you want your Quiff to be lopsided so to have an asymmetric Quiff which requires the hair to be cut in layers (he will know).

You can't see the picture because you need at least 10 posts to see pictures; that way we help minimize (even if it is a little) those parasites who just join our community to ask questions for a new haircut they want and then leave without becoming an interacting member of our community Smile I suggest you have a browse through the FAQ section http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Forum-...g-and-FAQs

Also, have a read through our tight thread on Undercut hairstyles including Quiffs where real-world experts chip in to give information on hairstyling http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...IAL-thread It's stuff like this that makes our site the number one for men's hair and our community the best.

07-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks for all the advice. One final question.

Should I continue to get the same undercut whilst growing my hair? My barber took hair off the right side of my head (hair flows left to right) so it fades properly but now the right side is shorter than the left if you catch my drift. Should I just clip it up to a certain point and not fade it down? Will it effect the quiff?

I visited that undercut thread as well. I really like that Zayn Malik pompadour hair style. That's probably what I'm aiming for.
07-07-2013, 11:12 PM
You current hair style is quite good enough. You do not need a new one. Administrator has given you really valuable tips.
07-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Hi sorry for hijacking the thread but I need some help. I can't start my own thread and i understand that you need at least 10 posts before you can see some picture and I thought the same may apply here but the person who started this thread only has a total post of 5. I'm in need of advice on what hairstyle I should go for to help hide the thinning of my hair I have picture to help show what I'm talking about but I don't want to put them up on someone else's thread. Any help would be appreciated and sorry again for putting this up in you thread.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------