Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What makes hair so special?
05-15-2013, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2013 07:52 PM by Anton.)
What makes hair so special?
Greetings all. Simple question: why's hair so special? Not only mens hair but also womens hair. I mean, society seems to put a lot of value into something dat's dead (for all that matters). Hair salons, magazines, products, i'd say it's on par with body shape.
I look after my hair and like to have it looking sharp but cant help thinking that its society that over-stresses its value way too far.
Opinions?
Cheers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2013, 09:42 PM
RE: What makes hair so special?
(05-15-2013 07:51 PM)Anton Wrote:  Greetings all. Simple question: why's hair so special? Not only mens hair but also womens hair. I mean, society seems to put a lot of value into something dat's dead (for all that matters). Hair salons, magazines, products, i'd say it's on par with body shape.
I look after my hair and like to have it looking sharp but cant help thinking that its society that over-stresses its value way too far.
Opinions?
Cheers

Oh, I know another forummember who's going to like this question a lot, just wait till he sees it Big Grin
I think it's because hair can really improve a person's image, be it female or male. Hair that is shiny and healthy can really make a difference in your looks, if not the hair loss industry would not be a billion dollar industry.

For example, take Matthew McConaughey. The guy is rumoured to have been going bald some years ago and then suddenly, he grew all that hair. He got arrested some years ago and had a mugshot taken where you can see how bad his hair looks (including receding hairline). Then, take a look at Matthew McConaughey's hair under more recent Hollywood-type photographs, the difference in his hair is huge and so is the difference in how he looks.

Look at the attached picture, believe it or not but the mugshot picture (left) is earlier in time than the picture on the right!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-15-2013, 11:51 PM
Hi Anton and welcome to the forum!

My reply in this thread was becoming so long that I decided to just post it as an article over at one of my sites. You can read the full article The evolutionary role of hair. If you have any questions, feel free to let them know.

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-16-2013, 02:48 PM
(05-15-2013 09:42 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(05-15-2013 07:51 PM)Anton Wrote:  Greetings all. Simple question: why's hair so special? Not only mens hair but also womens hair. I mean, society seems to put a lot of value into something dat's dead (for all that matters). Hair salons, magazines, products, i'd say it's on par with body shape.
Opinions?
Cheers

Oh, I know another forummember who's going to like this question a lot, just wait till he sees it Big Grin
I think it's because hair can really improve a person's image, be it female or male. Hair that is shiny and healthy can really make a difference in your looks, if not the hair loss industry would not be a billion dollar industry.

For example, take Matthew McConaughey. The guy is rumoured to have been going bald some years ago and then suddenly, he grew all that hair. He got arrested some years ago and had a mugshot taken where you can see how bad his hair looks (including receding hairline). Then, take a look at Matthew McConaughey's hair under more recent Hollywood-type photographs, the difference in his hair is huge and so is the difference in how he looks.

Look at the attached picture, believe it or not but the mugshot picture (left) is earlier in time than the picture on the right!

Makes sense, cheers mate

(05-15-2013 11:51 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  Hi Anton and welcome to the forum!

My reply in this thread was becoming so long that I decided to just post it as an article over at one of my sites. You can read the full article The evolutionary role of hair. If you have any questions, feel free to let them know.

dat was a big read lol loved it, will add parts of it to some pub talk tomorrow Big Grin
05-20-2013, 08:34 PM
(05-15-2013 11:51 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  Hi Anton and welcome to the forum!

wow man, strong article! Smile
06-05-2013, 02:58 PM
(05-15-2013 11:51 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  My reply in this thread was becoming so long that I decided to just post it as an article over at one of my sites. You can read the full article The evolutionary role of hair. If you have any questions, feel free to let them know.

I never thought about it like this. Thats a surprisingly smart theory you have!
06-24-2013, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2013 12:04 PM by Anton.)
just reporting to say that the stuff Curly Hair posted in his article did make for quite sum good fun pub talk!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I have special hair lol and I need your help please thibistin 2 707 09-18-2015 05:46 AM
Last Post: thibistin
Tongue Using Wax Makes My Hair Look Dry. Is this normal? choco00934141 7 2,938 11-20-2014 07:26 PM
Last Post: choco00934141