Post Reply 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
What is this short taper haircut called?
04-30-2015, 12:25 PM
Post: #1
What is this short taper haircut called?
I found 2 pictures on pinterest and curious to know what they are called when going to the barber shop. Also, how short is it cause it only show picture online but no description at all about it? I might just show picture to barber and hope he knows how to do it.

Thanks for help!

1st picture:

[Image: a4b6c5da2e23f27f35619e318d7962a5.jpg]

2nd picture:

[Image: vQHjKut.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2015, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 12:51 PM by Robert.)
Post: #2
RE: What is this haircut called?
(04-30-2015 12:25 PM)jafirelord Wrote:  2nd picture:

[Image: vQHjKut.jpg]

lol at that magazine from the picture calling that haircut name as closely cropped. That's a freaking long crew cut haircut if i ever saw one. My mind gets blown every time i stray away from this forum to other sites and see the amount of amateur advice online on mens hair... smh... the hair in the taper ends on the longer range of what's defined for the crew cut.

That 1st picture looks like an Ivy league haircut or some kind of fast taper haircut. I'm not one of the barbers in the forum so maybe wait for confirmation from any of them as those guys live and breathe mens haircuts.
Also ask the euro barbers on board cause the crew cut looks like a continental crew cut and not a US crew cut. The euros like to keep the top even while the americans leave a bit of a fringe or forelock.
Since you're going to ask your barber, where are you at? as in USA or Europe?

I just saw the link to that amateur magazine was removed by a mod as they don't allow links in the forum but get your haircut advice from places like this forum and not from those amateur websites bro.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2015, 04:32 AM
Post: #3
RE: What is this short taper haircut called?
Thanks for the reply. I guess not everything you find online is correct. Good thing I thinking of showing a picture rather than trying to explain it myself or it will be wrong terminology.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2015, 04:52 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2015 04:52 AM by jafirelord.)
Post: #4
RE: What is this short taper haircut called?
By the way it USA. And thanks for posting pictures and editing my post. I don't know how to upload them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Post: #5
The pictures are of a messy Ivy League haircut and of a crew cut hairstyle.
The first picture is that of a long Ivy League haircut. The hair is rapidly tapered, almost to skin, while the hair on the top is left with enough length to style up. Usually an Ivy League haircut is intended for a side part hairstyle or a formal Quiff, not for a messy spikes hairstyle like in the picture.

If you want the hairstyle on the first picture, then ask your barber for an Ivy League haircut that leaves the hair on the top at 2 inches of length. For styling, usually a styling wax with a moderate shine. Check out Jurgen's post on the Gatsby hair wax rubbers and go with the 4th Gatsby wax that he has listed (i.e. the one for a "strong hold with some shine").

With regards to the second hairstyle, it is indeed a continental crew cut. A pretty easy haircut for any barber to do. Just in case, do tell your barber (in case you choose the crew cut) to leave a short-enough length to be able to style it with your fingers. Depending on your hair type and hair thickness, this will be between half an inch of length to 3/4 of an inch, but, to be safe, ask him to leave the top at 3/4 of an inch (or about 2 centimeters if you use the metric system).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2015, 03:40 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2015 03:49 AM by jafirelord.)
Post: #6
RE: What is this short taper haircut called?
Wow thanks for the detail info. I did brought the first picture to my barber and he said it was a "combed cut". I don't know the names of type of cuts; except "crew cut". I guess it was hard to tell from the picture for him. When it grow longer, I'll tell him to do an ivy league cut with the specs you mention. I don't measure my hair so I don't tell the barber how many inches to cut off lol.

The 2nd picture I didn't bother cause I always get a crew cut and wanted to try something else. I'm Asian so I always get short haircut and it lasts a long time. Also, I don't think the barber will know what a continental crew cut is cause I in the USA and Robert above said it for Europe.

Thanks for telling me about the hair products. I never knew it existed haha. I usually just get a short hair cut like a crew cut so I don't need to style it. Also, recently my dermatologist told me about using minoxidil liquid (not Rogaine but the generic cause it cheaper) for my receding hair line. Can hair product be applied with it or will there be a bad reaction if mixed? And is there an all purpose hair product for different styles? I don't want to have to get a different bottle for each style.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Does anybody know what those hairstyles are called? Commenty-Mcgee 1 309 Today 02:53 AM
Last Post: denimxp
  What is this hairstyle called? Icedawn 0 217 04-29-2018 01:29 PM
Last Post: Icedawn
  How do you call this haircut? Sebaalco 0 169 04-14-2018 06:43 AM
Last Post: Sebaalco
  Anyone know how this Haircut is called? brakeit 4 898 02-10-2018 08:45 PM
Last Post: luisp

Forum Jump:

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)