Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the main telltale of male pattern baldness?
05-12-2013, 05:01 PM
What is the main telltale of male pattern baldness?
As I become more aware of my hair, I'm learning about hair loss and how to keep it healthy. What would be the first telltale or sign that male pattern baldness is starting to take place?
Cheers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2013, 03:41 PM
RE: What is the main telltale of male pattern baldness?
Hi Robert,

Male pattern baldness (which is the most common form of balding in men) is most commonly manifested by initial recession at the temples. Once enough recession has occurred at the temples (balding reaching to about ear length), then the vertex starts to bald too. See the diagram attached as it shows the development stages of male pattern baldness (you can see how the temples recede in the stages).

The initial sign of male pattern baldness is thus recession of the temples and overall hair thinning. However, there are some uncommon scenarios in which the temples hardly recede and instead the whole top of the head balds (i.e. loses hair density indiscriminately); this is known as Diffuse Patterned Alopecia (well, there's actually another form called Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia, but they both share the trait of overall hair loss instead of the temples first).

I remember interviewing a hair loss expert over at Manly Curls who he himself had a successful hair transplant, and he mentioned that his type of alopecia was actually that of the diffuse type and not the typical male pattern baldness progression, which caught him by surprise as Diffuse Patterned Alopecia is harder to notice in the beginning.

Any more Qs, let them know.

All the best.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-13-2013, 07:48 PM
(05-13-2013 03:41 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  Hi Robert,

Male pattern baldness (which is the most common form of balding in men) is most commonly manifested by initial recession at the temples. Once enough recession has occurred at the temples (balding reaching to about ear length), then the vertex starts to bald too. See the diagram attached as it shows the development stages of male pattern baldness (you can see how the temples recede in the stages).

The initial sign of male pattern baldness is thus recession of the temples and overall hair thinning. However, there are some uncommon scenarios in which the temples hardly recede and instead the whole top of the head balds (i.e. loses hair density indiscriminately); this is known as Diffuse Patterned Alopecia (well, there's actually another form called Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia, but they both share the trait of overall hair loss instead of the temples first).

I remember interviewing a hair loss expert over at Manly Curls who he himself had a successful hair transplant, and he mentioned that his type of alopecia was actually that of the diffuse type and not the typical male pattern baldness progression, which caught him by surprise as Diffuse Patterned Alopecia is harder to notice in the beginning.

Any more Qs, let them know.

All the best.

Excellent explanation by Rogelio. Temples receding is the most common sign along with hair thinning but it doesn't mean that such sign is exclusive to male baldness.
Anything in particular worrying you Robert?

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-12-2014, 02:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 02:37 AM by SurveenA4.)
it's very normal
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Non-male pattern balding? Losing hair but unsure about reason AntonD 4 414 10-18-2016 06:28 PM
Last Post: AntonD
  Male pattern baldness with itchy scalp starting at 18 years of age? kokolala666 1 357 09-07-2016 03:16 PM
Last Post: kokolala666
  Is a hair transplant good for balding men and male pattern baldness? Edmond123 0 501 01-04-2016 04:36 AM
Last Post: Edmond123
  Temple hair isn't growing? Thinning temples on black male gc679 0 849 09-01-2015 07:18 PM
Last Post: gc679