Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is happening to my hairline?
01-25-2015, 06:28 AM
What is happening to my hairline?
I can be a little over the top when it comes to little details, but it has been about two years now that I have discovered how my hairline isn't straight. First and foremost, I understand that a human's hairline can never be perfect, i.e. completely straight. However, whenever I take pictures, my hair is always slanted to one side (to the right).

I have learned about traction alopecia from this forum, and I believe that I might have it. My left temple is higher compared to my right. This could be caused by me parting on my left when I style a pompadour. But, over time, I have discovered that the middle left part of my hairline is higher than the middle right part. I don't understand what is causing the uneven hairline up till now, and I am hoping that somebody can help me out.

It is frustrating for me because whatever style that I try, my hair always slants to one side. Be it pompadour, quiff or slicked-back, nothing looks good on me. I have thought shaving my hair to see if it will grow back evenly, but recently I decided to grow my hair out to neck/shoulder length.

I would love to share some pictures but I do not have the permissions to do so. Looking forward to your answers, thank you in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2015, 08:21 AM
RE: What is happening to my hairline?
May I post a link to an image album that consists of my hairline problem please?
01-28-2015, 08:36 AM
(01-28-2015 08:21 AM)asianboy Wrote:  May I post a link to an image album that consists of my hairline problem please?

Sure. I've just upgraded your account so that you can hyperlink.

Please, try to embed the pictures rather than simply linking to the album itself. If you embed the pictures we can know which ones exactly to go by Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-29-2015, 08:36 AM
(01-28-2015 08:36 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Sure. I've just upgraded your account so that you can hyperlink.

Please, try to embed the pictures rather than simply linking to the album itself. If you embed the pictures we can know which ones exactly to go by Smile

Thank you very much! I'll try and explain what I meant with pictures.

[Image: TPv544c.jpg]

This what I meant by how my hair slants to the right. Hair is dry/not styled with any products. Even if styled with products, the left side will look higher than the right, hence making my hairstyle look slanted.

[Image: EBAEDwz.jpg]

Trying the slicked back look. Drawn two lines to show that again, the left side is higher than the right, making my hairline look uneven. This is also what I meant by 'middle left part of my hairline is higher than the middle right part'.

[Image: 3BGLyWC.jpg]

View of my left temple, the problematic one.

[Image: YEVUH0U.jpg]

View of my right temple, the one that is the normal one in my opinion. Notice how the left temple goes in much deeper than the right one. At the moment, my right temple is sharp whereas the left one is sort of a little rounded.

I have been having this problem for a long time now and the 'missing' hair hasn't grown back. What should I do? Should I get the person who cuts my hair to shave the excess hair in the middle left part to make the hairline look even? Sorry if I sound crazy haha, because I honestly think nobody cares/looks into that much detail, but it is bothering me so much for a long time now.

Looking forward to your replies, thank you. Smile
01-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Sorry mate I didn't quite get it. Did you say that you think the missing hair on the left temple is caused by traction alopecia and styling your hair in a pompadour?

Traction alopecia is a very real condition but you would have to be combing really hard to be pulling the strands off the follicles. I can see that happening from styling a pomp cause of the combing and slicking but even then you would have to be pulling your hair in a way that is not good. Not even for styling a pomp. I cringe when I happen to see a mens hairstyling video on youtube as they all pull too hard on the hair with no concern for the long term of your hair.

Whats your age? you look young but if your thirty something you could be advancing male pattern baldness by pulling hard when combing. Male hairloss weakens the follicles of the hairline so there are easy to pull off and damage the hairline. I don't see any signs of male pattern baldness with you tho.

My money is on an asymmetric hairline. This is very real. I would say fifty percent of the guys coming in to my barbershop have asymmetric hairlines. It's very common and in your case is barely noticeable even for me. Considering some bad asymmetry of the hairline I have seen in these years your hairline looks pretty good. Like I say my money is on your hairline having matured in these two years and you just happen to have ended up with some asymmetry.

If your face is asymmetric then this also makes your hairline be asymmetric btw Then again the vast majority of people have some degree of facial asymmetry. Cause of the forehead as part of the face, any facial asymmetry will show up at the hairline too.

It obviously bothers you but I can tell you that it isn't a cause of concern if talking of aesthetics. Large asymmetry is a cause of concern but your asymmetry is way to mild and perfectly natural.

Anyway if you want to get it fixed, ask your barber to shape up your hairline. What this means is your barber will use a special clipper to square off your hairline, tho you can ask him to shape the hairline any other way. Problem with this is you have to do it every couple of days to keep the aesthetics. You can shape up your hairline yourself btw And this would be the better idea if you want to even out your hairline. Buy a t-outliner, they are not as expensive as the regular hair clippers. Anything by Andis or Oster is a good product and will square off your hairline fast and easy.
01-30-2015, 10:17 PM
(01-29-2015 10:29 AM)Bradley Wrote:  ...

Thank you for the detailed reply, Bradley.

I am turning 18 in December this year, and I think the point you said about maturing hairline and ending up with an asymmetrical hairline is a very reasonable explanation! So the only thing I can do now is to wait for the other side to mature or get my barber to shape up my hairline right?

Then again, the length of my hair at the front of the head is not short (in the sense that it is not shaved), so will the barber still be able to trim it? I will try and look for a t-outliner too, this is my first time learning about such a item.

Thanks again!
02-08-2015, 08:30 AM
(01-30-2015 10:17 PM)asianboy Wrote:  Thank you for the detailed reply, Bradley.

I am turning 18 in December this year, and I think the point you said about maturing hairline and ending up with an asymmetrical hairline is a very reasonable explanation! So the only thing I can do now is to wait for the other side to mature or get my barber to shape up my hairline right?

Then again, the length of my hair at the front of the head is not short (in the sense that it is not shaved), so will the barber still be able to trim it? I will try and look for a t-outliner too, this is my first time learning about such a item.

Thanks again!

What Bradley meant with the 'mature' hairline is that there is an age where you go from having a round hairline - like a child - to having an adult male hairline - which has the corners on the temples just like you have. A mature hairline usually comes between age 16 to 25 & it depends on sex hormones & how fast you develop. You can see guys with adult mature hairlines & balding with age 18 - just look at the hairline of Harry Styles & how his hairline is receding already at the age of 19 years old.

Your hairline will not even out to be symmetric. The only change that will occur with your hairline is that it recedes back but that is only if you're are hit with the feared male pattern baldness.

The good news is that you're not balding & you have a healthy hairline. Also asymmetric hairlines are very common. Like Bradley said this is usually because of the normal asymmetry of the face - most men have some degree of facial asymmetry. I remember reading that testosterone was involved in facial asymmetry but don't quote me on that as I read that a long time ago & it had to do with having very high levels of testosterone & not just average levels.

IMO you're lucky to have a hairline like you have. It's healthy & the minimal asymmetry is totally normal. You pay attention to it because it's your hairline & you see it every day in the mirror, but to anyone else your hairline is fine.

About the t-outliner that Bradley mentioned, that's a good option if you still want to correct the hairline & make it even. I don't recommend it because I see your hairline as healthy and minimally asymmetric, but if you still want to go ahead then - yes - get a t-outliner.

We have recommended in the forum THIS t-outliner in the past & I've used it too. It allows you to sharpen your hairline like you want & to make it as detailed as you want. It's a great tool for men who like to shape their own hairline - this is common with black men who like to do the shape up hairline.

For you, the t-outliner in the link would be a great tool to correct the asymmetry & the t-outliner in the link is also awesome for detailing your hairline in different shapes as well as your sideburns & facial hair. It isn't expensive compared to regular hair clippers so it's worth a go if you want to even out the asymmetry.

BTW if you buy the t-outliner in the link, make sure to also get some greasing oil - get this cheap and good one HERE - so the t-outliner lasts you years Smile
02-14-2015, 02:25 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2015 02:27 AM by asianboy.)
(02-08-2015 08:30 AM)Jurgen Wrote:  
(01-30-2015 10:17 PM)asianboy Wrote:  

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, Jurgen.

I have read through both you and Bradley's replies and have decided to leave my hairline as it is. Both of you pointed out that the asymmetry isn't that drastic and I have asked my parents about the same issues as well. Their replies were - "You're crazy, nobody looks into it so much." Haha, so... really appreciate the advice you have all given me, this is really one big 'problem' solved for me! Now I can just focus on worrying about how long my hair will take to grow out to shoulder length... Tongue
02-26-2015, 09:32 AM
A range of asymmetry is perfectly normal and expected in humans.
(02-14-2015 02:25 AM)asianboy Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 08:30 AM)Jurgen Wrote:  
(01-30-2015 10:17 PM)asianboy Wrote:  

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, Jurgen.

I have read through both you and Bradley's replies and have decided to leave my hairline as it is. Both of you pointed out that the asymmetry isn't that drastic and I have asked my parents about the same issues as well. Their replies were - "You're crazy, nobody looks into it so much." Haha, so... really appreciate the advice you have all given me, this is really one big 'problem' solved for me! Now I can just focus on worrying about how long my hair will take to grow out to shoulder length... Tongue

Sorry, I seemed to have missed this last reply of yours, but I'm glad you have moved on from that and can now focus on growing your hair long to a shoulder length as you establish a good hair care routine, which you will certainly need if you want to have long hair.

It's easy to become paranoid with slightly-asymmetric physical traits of oneself that are absolutely trivial to others and which fall under the perfect range of cosmetically-acceptable aesthetics! Smile

Keep us posted on your long hair growing goals!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help. Not sure about the state of my hairline. Rivere 0 419 10-21-2016 01:51 PM
Last Post: Rivere
Shocked 21 years old. I am going bald, having maturing hairline or just paranoic HardRocker995 0 1,277 09-22-2016 09:30 AM
Last Post: HardRocker995
  Hair receding or maturing? Possible balding with receding hairline Relinquish 2 1,163 08-18-2016 01:17 AM
Last Post: Relinquish
  Receding Hairline or Maturing Hairline or Neither? GoodHair 17 93,109 08-04-2016 02:01 AM
Last Post: 16 years old