Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a Ponybun hairstyle?
07-01-2015, 10:01 AM
What is a Ponybun hairstyle?
I have a hairstyle question that is driving me crazy with all these hairstyles and names like the man bun or Samurai style. So, what is a Ponybun hairstyle?

I have seen it mentioned in this forum a few times in some of the hairstyle guides like the one for the man bun which by the way is the best guide I have ever seen on the man bun. I just wish that I had seen it earlier before I cut long hair because I could not get any good hairstyles...

It seems like the Ponybun hairstyle is a mix between a Samurai style and a man bun. Or so is the feeling that I got but I would rather check with you guys than go with my gut feeling. I'm actually thinking of growing my hair long again as I have a medium length hair right now. I'm just following up on the hairstyle trends so I have a brushed up quiff hairstyle for now but if I grow my hair long, I'll try some kind of bun hairstyle. At least if I can get my hair long enough by 2015 and the man bun trend doesn't die by 2016!!

A bit more info about me... I'm 21 and I'm in college here in California. I have thick dark brown hair and more of an oblong face. I'm petty much open to any new hairstyles for men. It's just that hearing so much about the Ponybun in this forum made me curious. I'm kind of a noob with hairstyles so bear with me please as I ask stupid noob questions! Big Grin Oh and is there any chance that I could post pictures from my account as I have seen that mods usually upgrade account for new members?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2015, 10:58 AM
RE: What is a Ponybun hairstyle?
Good question mate! we've talked about the ponybun in other threads and there are several posts describing it but I'm happy to describe and explain the ponybun hairstyle.

I know that hearing so many words with the 'bun' word added at the end can get confusing and I have many lads like you coming to our barbershop completely lost on what sort of hairstyle they want as they cannot narrow down their choices by hairstyle names. This isn't your fault as there is a lot of wrong and bad hairstyle advice in many websites so I usually just tell our customers to browse around this forum as this is where you will get the real answers to your hairstyle questions.

A ponybun hairstyle is a blend of a man bun with a ponytail. What this means is that you tie you hair back as if tying a man bun but instead of fully choking the tied hair with the elastic band into a bun, you leave half of the length of the tied hair hanging down as a tail. That's the reason for the ponybun name: the 'pony' word comes from the tail or ponytail that is left hanging down off the bun and the 'bun' word comes from the half tied bun that you end up with in a ponybun.

A couple of pictures are worth thousands of words for these sort of men's hairstyles so here are some good pictures of the ponybun hairstyle. See how the bun is made but is isn't fully choked with the elastic band so part of the hair is let loose which is what makes the ponytail in the ponybun.

[Image: 26b92bdc5137e832755c232f84f74340.jpg]

[Image: lJM7BuE.jpg]

[Image: otxduQ4.jpg]

You can even tuck the ponytail hair with the bun. See this tucked ponybun picture.

[Image: Alea2ND.jpg]

Chris Hemsworth, David Beckham and Jared Leto are known for wearing ponybuns all thru these last couple of years. But as a hairstyle trend the ponybun is a new one and was only really launched in 2014 by Jared Leto during the 2014 Golden Globe Awards when he turned up with his long hair in an ombre ponybun hairstyle. Not to confuse you, the 'ombre' word is a hairstyle term for the fading of a dark blonde colour.

Here are more pictures of the ponybun hairstyle.

[Image: 963e3db23bae16117a2977e7f9b200d1.jpg]

[Image: WWHFUfi.jpg]

[Image: YrnJglm.jpg]

[Image: bELFcT0.jpg]

[Image: David-Beckham+%25281%2529.jpg]

Here's a good comparison of what a ponytail vs a ponybun looks like. It's of course David Beckham with his long hair in the pictures. The left picture is a ponytail while the other two pictures are pony buns. Cheers!

[Image: 1eb529f53ed140bebbac999925470041.jpg]
07-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Thanks a lot dude!! I really wasn't expecting a guide but I've seen how you guys usually post guides to questions. Totally different to any other websites where you only read two lines.

Yeah so now it's clear what a ponybun is. One more question if you don't mind... What is the minimum hair length for a ponybun hairstyle? I've read in this forum that the minimum hair length for a man bun hairstyle is eight inches. But it's better to add two extra inches to avoid pulling the hair hard. So let's then say ten inches of hair length, is that enough for a ponybun or do you need longer hair to style a ponybun?

It isn't that I have made my decision yet but I am seriously considering growing my hair long. Until I discovered this forum I had no idea what to do with my long hair so I cut it, which I now feel so bad about it since there are so many long hair guides in this forum that I've got my mind full of long hairstyle ideas!! My hair right now is at a medium length so I'm just trying to see how long would I have to wait to grow my hair long enough for a ponybun hairstyle.

Sorry, I have one more question that I just came up with. Is it ok to do a ponybun with an undercut? Or do you need all the hair on your head to be long? I think that the man bun undercut hairstyle looks pretty cool but getting an undercut with long hair is not an easy decision. You're buzzing half of your head with an undercut and only the long hair stays on the top so I'm not sure if I want that. Can you then get a ponybun with an undercut or at least get it to a level that is fine so that you can vary between a man bun undercut and a ponybun undercut?

Thanks for any extra replies I sincerely appreciate the help!!
07-04-2015, 08:15 AM
You will need at least 12 inches of hair length for an aesthetic ponybun hairstyle!
The minimum hair length for a ponybun hairstyle is 10 inches of hair length, which is almost shoulder length. Ideally, however, you'd want to have between 12 to 18 inches of hair length for the perfect ponybun hairstyle. The extra length required for the ponybun when compared to the man bun hairstyle is due to the ponybun having the tail hanging from the bun, and you need a couple of inches for the tail itself to get an aesthetic ponybun style.

As for getting a ponybun with an undercut haircut, I would avoid that hairstyle combination. With a ponybun, you will need all the hair on your head and not just the hair on the top of your head as it would happen with a ponybun undercut.

If you still were to go ahead and get an undercut for your ponybun or any other short haircut on the sides and back of the head, then you would need even more hair length on the top of your head to compensate for the lack of hair length on the sides and back of the head. So, the minimum hair length for a ponybun undercut hairstyle is 18 inches.

Other than that, Bradley has done an excellent job describing the ponybun hairstyle. Follow his advice if you're looking to grow a ponybun, but remember that it will be a long journey to grow your hair long for a man bun or a pony bun if you're starting from a short hair length!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Both of your replies are the best explanations for the ponybun that I could have ever expected. Thank you so much!!

It got to a point at an early stage that I was reading websites for women's hair to know what a ponybun was. I seriously dig how you guys have been bringing forward all these hairstyles and making them popular online like your man bun guide which has close to half a million views. So much respect for you guys giving your time to help us. I understand that as barbers you don't have a lot of free time but helping out those of us newbies is really appreciated by many of u who read and lurk this forum.

I think I'm going to go on and grow my hair long. Like I've mentioned I used to have long hair but the lack of good long hair advice for men made me lose motivation and I just cut it all off. I'm fine with my current medium length hair but I really want to get my hair long. It was by far the best hairstyle I enjoyed but the lack of hairstyling choices at the time really killed my motivation. Not now thanks to this forum so I thank you again for helping this newbie out!! Smile
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 72 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Medium slickback hairstyle Gias98 0 288 10-20-2016 12:50 PM
Last Post: Gias98
  Help identify my hair for a new hairstyle gabriel777 2 311 10-18-2016 09:34 AM
Last Post: gabriel777
  Long hair side shaved grow to man bun hairstyle or top knot? darkguy2 3 310 10-17-2016 08:44 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz