Post Reply 
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
What is a Jarhead haircut? Any opinions from forum barbers?
08-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Post: #1
What is a Jarhead haircut? Any opinions from forum barbers?
I watched the movie Jarhead and I got curious about the Jarhead haircut. Does any forum barber know what is a Jarhead haircut? is it maybe a military hairstyle?

I read the military haircut guide in the forum so I have seen the term thrown around in the forum. But there are so many military haircuts in the guide that I don't know which one is specifically a Jarhead haircut. I take it that this hairstyle name is a jargon term for one of the proper military haircut names. Or perhaps it's not a haircut but instead is a hairstyle for military men.

The Jarhead movie has Jake Gyllenhaal and Jamie Foxx with buzz cuts but again I don't know what type of buzz cuts they are. There's another guide on buzz cuts in the forum which again I have no idea which of the many different types of buzz cuts would be the equivalent of the Jarhead haircut.

It'd be great to hear about the exact definition of the Jarhead haircut. Just curious as I'm not planning on buzzing my hair for the foreseeable future!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Post: #2
A Jarhead haircut is a High and Tight haircut, which is used by the US Marine Corps.
A Jarhead haircut is the slang haircut name for the High and Tight haircut. The "Jarhead" slang is another name for a US Marine. This is because the insignia haircut of the US Marine Corps is indeed the High and Tight haircut.

If you have a look at our High and Tight haircut guide, you will see how the hair on the sides and back of the head is buzzed very short or even shaved (that's the "tight" part of the haircut"), while the hair on the top of the head is left slightly longer (that's the "high" part of the haircut). This, in effect, creates a visual jar head illusion (e.g. Mason jars) as the disconnected haircut line between the hair on the top of the head and the hair on the sides and back of the head remains sharp and even.

This is how the High and Tight haircut looks like:

[Image: 2271a08d6e8007c823de07ab60ae9eae.jpg]

[Image: d15ad9f97af339779d9458151867c97c.jpg]

This is a Mason jar, from which the term "Jarhead" was taken out. You can see the similitude of the top of the Mason jar with the top of the High and Tight haircut.

[Image: 886be562b6c4f7e159e2457892cbf232.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Just another "What type of haircut is this" post Newlife 2 386 08-26-2017 08:28 PM
Last Post: Newlife
  How did Chris Evan's pull off his forward haircut in Gifted-2017? cubby208 0 325 08-26-2017 01:39 PM
Last Post: cubby208
  Anyone know how this Haircut is called? brakeit 3 454 08-22-2017 03:47 PM
Last Post: Frances80
  What lengths is this haircut? lastminutecram 0 205 08-02-2017 05:19 AM
Last Post: lastminutecram

Forum Jump:

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)