Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Henna? Is henna for men and ok for mens hairstyles?
06-20-2015, 09:50 AM
What is Henna? Is henna for men and ok for mens hairstyles?
I heard of henna from a friend and how henna is supposed to be a natural hair color product. So I wanted to ask, what is henna? and is henna good for men's hair?

A quick search shows that it is used for body painting too and that it's made from a plant. There's so talk of it in the forum too but I've yet to know what exactly is henna? I haven't dabbed into the hair coloring side but I would still consider a hair color product for men that isn't too harsh and that can be used for certain hairstyles.

It would be great if any of the forum barbers and hairdressers could explain what henna is and anyone else who has experience coloring their hair with henna. I've no doubts that henna should be fine for men since it works for women but I would rather hear out what the experts here have to say on it. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2015, 01:36 PM
RE: What is Henna? Is henna for men and ok for mens hairstyles?
I've used henna a lot of times for my own hair, but as a hairdresser it isn't something we normally use at our hair salon since we prefer to use the professional hair dyes. That doesn't mean that henna isn't a good product and I love it for earthy hair colours and to get mild colour contours.

What is henna?
Henna (Lawsonia Inermis) is a small shrub of the Lythraceae family. It grows in hot climates, and is found in South Asia, Middle Eastand sometimes in Africa, in countries like India, Pakistan, Iran, Syria and Egypt. The shrub can grow up to 15 feet and produces fragrant white flowers. The leaves of the plant are harvested, dried under the sun and then pulverised into a lime green powder.

The powder is mixed with water and/or other herbs and when it is applied to the skin, nails or hair it produces a red stain. The red colour varies from bright orange to red to a dark burgundy depending on the harvest, its freshness and the amount of time it is left on the skin/nails/hair.

Using henna:
Henna has been used for centuries by women and men as a pigment for a variety of uses. Some of the more popular include Mehndi, which is the art of using henna to create intricate temporary tattoos. A Mehndi artist mixes henna into a paste and then carefully creates a beautiful design on the skin with the paste. After several hours the paste is removed to unveil a beautiful pattern that lasts from one to four weeks.

Henna has also been used for many centuries for hair colouring. The henna is, as with Mehndi, mixed into a paste which is applied to the hair. The paste then sits on the hair between 15 minutes to hours or days depending on the amount of colour deposit desired.

Henna works by depositing a layer of translucent colour on top of each hair strand. Think of it as your hair being covered with a coloured cellophane or you can think of henna also as a water colour. It adds colour but it also lets the your natural colour shine through creating amazing highlights especially under the sun. Not only does henna add beautiful colour but the deposit also makes the hair silky soft.

I remember the first time I washed my hair after having my hair henna-ed. I did NOT need to add conditioner to my hair!! My hair was that soft and conditioned after using henna (the amount of "silkiness" probably varies from individual to individual). Also henna, unlike regular hair colouring, is safe to use for most people including those who have had allergic reactions to regular hair colour.

Can men use henna to colour their hair?
Absolutely yes! I mean if you're looking for surfer hair with bleached ends then henna isn't for you. That's obvious as that's not what henna achieve. But if you're looking for a natural hair colour that enhances your hair and hairstyle then by all means try henna. You'll love it! Smile

There's a good thread in the forum talking about henna among other natural hair colour ideas, if you want to read it is this thread. They have also listed good and chap sources of henna to buy online so you can try it with convenience.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is henna drying out my hair? Zarli 0 144 07-27-2016 12:35 PM
Last Post: Zarli
  Confused about Henna hotzenplotz 0 475 11-21-2015 08:43 PM
Last Post: hotzenplotz
  How to make henna and use henna to color male hair? Freddie 2 1,994 07-05-2015 09:07 AM
Last Post: ElenaTheBarber
  The Range of Afro Hairstyles for Black Men in 1970s Pictures TheMensHairForum 0 2,070 03-28-2015 09:54 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum