Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What hairstyle/cut for super thick hair
03-26-2015, 08:39 AM
What hairstyle/cut for super thick hair
Hi people Smile I need some advice on what hairstyle/cut will best suit my hair type and features, I have quite fine straight hair (as in the opposite to wiry) but it is extremely thick theres just so much of it, to put this into context the barber I used to go to for years said he had only ever cut 1 persons hair that was thicker than mine, my father who is 66 also has a full head of thick hair so I guess I get it from him, anyway I also have a slightly larger than average nose and ears but not obnoxiously so, my face shape is pretty much oval and I also have a double crown which makes my hair stick up, Ive experimented with various shorter hairstyles but they just don't look right, so given my circumstances what hairstyle would you recommend?

Thankyou
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2015, 11:26 AM
RE: What hairstyle/cut for super thick hair
(03-26-2015 08:39 AM)scorpion Wrote:  Hi people Smile I need some advice on what hairstyle/cut will best suit my hair type and features, I have quite fine straight hair (as in the opposite to wiry) but it is extremely thick theres just so much of it, to put this into context the barber I used to go to for years said he had only ever cut 1 persons hair that was thicker than mine, my father who is 66 also has a full head of thick hair so I guess I get it from him, anyway I also have a slightly larger than average nose and ears but not obnoxiously so, my face shape is pretty much oval and I also have a double crown which makes my hair stick up, Ive experimented with various shorter hairstyles but they just don't look right, so given my circumstances what hairstyle would you recommend?

Thankyou

Hey man. I'm in the same boat as you. you can check out my blog in the grooming blog. I have always had short hair but I felt it never worked for me because having such thick hair I couldn't do anything with it. I know it seems bad but a lot of people would love to have thick hair. I'm growing my hair right now because when you have thick hair and its a little longer it sits down better. I'm trying to get a pompadour right now. Do u have any celebrity hairs that you like?
03-26-2015, 12:57 PM
(03-26-2015 11:26 AM)shahrukhch1 Wrote:  
(03-26-2015 08:39 AM)scorpion Wrote:  Hi people Smile I need some advice on what hairstyle/cut will best suit my hair type and features, I have quite fine straight hair (as in the opposite to wiry) but it is extremely thick theres just so much of it, to put this into context the barber I used to go to for years said he had only ever cut 1 persons hair that was thicker than mine, my father who is 66 also has a full head of thick hair so I guess I get it from him, anyway I also have a slightly larger than average nose and ears but not obnoxiously so, my face shape is pretty much oval and I also have a double crown which makes my hair stick up, Ive experimented with various shorter hairstyles but they just don't look right, so given my circumstances what hairstyle would you recommend?

Thankyou

Hey man. I'm in the same boat as you. you can check out my blog in the grooming blog. I have always had short hair but I felt it never worked for me because having such thick hair I couldn't do anything with it. I know it seems bad but a lot of people would love to have thick hair. I'm growing my hair right now because when you have thick hair and its a little longer it sits down better. I'm trying to get a pompadour right now. Do u have any celebrity hairs that you like?

Yeah I used to have it like 2 on the sides and about half inch on top but it just looked boring and like a helmet the hair just stood bolt upright, I tried the pompadour look and as far as the hair itself it worked but with it being so short on the sides it just accentuated my ears and plus it just wasn't really me I prefer a more care free look, I currently have about 1.5" on the sides and about 3" on top swept up but this doesn't really look very good.

Does thicker hair suit longer styles better? I'd really like a shorter version of Tom Cruise's hair in MI2, he has pretty much the exact same hair type as me but I just have more of it, do you think this or a shaggy haircut would work?
03-29-2015, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2015 09:24 AM by Bradley.)
I'm a barber and from what you say would recommend you to keep your hair long on the top and get a fast taper haircut. You would get the fast taper on the sides so that you remove the bulk from your thick hair. You're also very likely to have a high density of hair which is what makes your hair stand up. The solution for all of this is longer hair.

I had a look at the hairstyle of Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt in Mission Impossible 2 and he has just about the starting length for long hair. This is about six inches of hair length or fifteen centimetres. That's when your hair will drop down naturally no matter how thick or dense your hair is.

My advice would be to continue to grow the top of your head to the same length of that Tom Cruise hairstyle in Mission Impossible 2 while maintaining a fast taper haircut. There is a thread covering the taper haircut with side part in here which will help you to get an idea of what are the different taper haircuts and there are pictures with similar lengths to what you want to achieve.

I'm also leaving you below some pictures of Ethan Hunt's hairstyle in Mission Impossible 2, it's a very realistic hairstyle for you to get and it will only take you a couple of months to get there.

[Image: tumblr_m7brofiMG91qdtfaz.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mmjijdThX71qck0aeo1_500.png]

[Image: tumblr_lvn92f064u1r3xqzw.jpg]

[Image: v6s4eHM.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_lvqsubvF271qzi2w2.jpg]
03-29-2015, 09:32 PM
(03-26-2015 12:57 PM)scorpion Wrote:  
(03-26-2015 11:26 AM)shahrukhch1 Wrote:  

Thankyou

Yeah I used to have it like 2 on the sides and about half inch on top but it just looked boring and like a helmet the hair just stood bolt upright, I tried the pompadour look and as far as the hair itself it worked but with it being so short on the sides it just accentuated my ears and plus it just wasn't really me I prefer a more care free look, I currently have about 1.5" on the sides and about 3" on top swept up but this doesn't really look very good.

Does thicker hair suit longer styles better? I'd really like a shorter version of Tom Cruise's hair in MI2, he has pretty much the exact same hair type as me but I just have more of it, do you think this or a shaggy haircut would work?

Yeah I know exactly what you were talking about. Having thick hair you can either have it super short or you should wear it long so it sits down and looks better for thicker hair types. Yeah It can definetely work for you. I would just recommend it letting it all go without getting a trim. Having thick hair it does get frustrating sometimes and you will want to cut it off but have patience and the end result will be better Smile
03-29-2015, 09:34 PM
(03-29-2015 09:23 AM)Bradley Wrote:  I'm a barber and from what you say would recommend you to keep your hair long on the top and get a fast taper haircut. You would get the fast taper on the sides so that you remove the bulk from your thick hair. You're also very likely to have a high density of hair which is what makes your hair stand up. The solution for all of this is longer hair.

I had a look at the hairstyle of Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt in Mission Impossible 2 and he has just about the starting length for long hair. This is about six inches of hair length or fifteen centimetres. That's when your hair will drop down naturally no matter how thick or dense your hair is.

My advice would be to continue to grow the top of your head to the same length of that Tom Cruise hairstyle in Mission Impossible 2 while maintaining a fast taper haircut. There is a thread covering the taper haircut with side part in here which will help you to get an idea of what are the different taper haircuts and there are pictures with similar lengths to what you want to achieve.

I'm also leaving you below some pictures of Ethan Hunt's hairstyle in Mission Impossible 2, it's a very realistic hairstyle for you to get and it will only take you a couple of months to get there.

[Image: tumblr_m7brofiMG91qdtfaz.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mmjijdThX71qck0aeo1_500.png]

[Image: tumblr_lvn92f064u1r3xqzw.jpg]

[Image: v6s4eHM.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_lvqsubvF271qzi2w2.jpg]

It is so good to get your point of view on these topics. I agree when I was growing my hair before it started to sit down but I just got frustrated and cut it off but now will be going all the way through with it
03-30-2015, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 02:42 PM by scorpion.)
(03-29-2015 09:23 AM)Bradley Wrote:  I'm a barber and from what you say would recommend you to keep your hair long on the top and get a fast taper haircut. You would get the fast taper on the sides so that you remove the bulk from your thick hair. You're also very likely to have a high density of hair which is what makes your hair stand up. The solution for all of this is longer hair.

My advice would be to continue to grow the top of your head to the same length of that Tom Cruise hairstyle in Mission Impossible 2 while maintaining a fast taper haircut. There is a thread covering the taper haircut with side part which will help you to get an idea of what are the different taper haircuts and there are pictures with similar lengths to what you want to achieve.

Great post but I'm a little confused what length are we talking for the back and sides when the top gets to about 6 inches?
03-30-2015, 08:19 PM
(03-30-2015 02:33 PM)scorpion Wrote:  

My advice would be to continue to grow the top of your head to the same length of that Tom Cruise hairstyle in Mission Impossible 2 while maintaining a fast taper haircut. There is a thread covering the taper haircut with side part which will help you to get an idea of what are the different taper haircuts and there are pictures with similar lengths to what you want to achieve.

Great post but I'm a little confused what length are we talking for the back and sides when the top gets to about 6 inches?

I think he is talking about that length all around
03-31-2015, 07:44 AM
Get a short taper haircut on the sides and back while growing the top to 6 inches.
(03-30-2015 02:33 PM)scorpion Wrote:  Great post but I'm a little confused what length are we talking for the back and sides when the top gets to about 6 inches?

Bradley was talking of a taper haircut for the sides and back of the head. In that case, what he mentioned was getting the sides and back very short, done with a hair clipper, which is similar to a high fade haircut. Since he's also a barber and he's good with hair clippers, he mentioned the hair clipper taper, but you can also get a medium length taper haircut with both shears (i.e. barber scissors) and a hair clipper.

Just tell your barber that you'd like a hair-clipper-only taper cut on the sides and back, and that you want it done high and very short. If you'd prefer to have the hair longer, then tell your barber to give you a taper haircut done with shears and a hair clipper.

(03-30-2015 08:19 PM)shahrukhch1 Wrote:  I think he is talking about that length all around

While Bradley was talking of a taper haircut, meaning that the 6 inches of hair length would only be at the top, I do think that 6 inches all around the head would also be a good hairstyle. However, bear in mind that 6 inches of hair length on the sides and back of the head will give you a lot of bulk and will be more difficult to style.

On the other hand, a mere 6 inches on the top of the head only is much easier to style and tends to make your hairstyle more aesthetic as a taper haircut emphasizes the hair on the top of the head (i.e. that's where the eyes go when people look a your face).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 61 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Medium slickback hairstyle Gias98 0 282 10-20-2016 12:50 PM
Last Post: Gias98
  Help identify my hair for a new hairstyle gabriel777 2 308 10-18-2016 09:34 AM
Last Post: gabriel777
  Long hair side shaved grow to man bun hairstyle or top knot? darkguy2 3 308 10-17-2016 08:44 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz