Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
What hair products do you use?
12-06-2014, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 11:03 AM by inmate.)
What hair products do you use?
I use Redken Rough Paste from Amazon and I love it. It does not feel sticky or greasy like American Crew wax or paste. I highly recommend it if you hate feeling like your hair is sticky and dirty. I also use Herstyler serum to keep my hair healthy and hair straightener when I do my hair. How about you?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2014, 06:54 AM
RE: What hair products do you use?
Don't have much experience with hair products, but since I started styling my hair the barber recommended me the bedhead manipulator. I like the look over gels because they make my hair hard and shiny.
12-08-2014, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 10:33 AM by Vladimir.)
Currently I am on Rogaine which is a minoxidil preparation for hair loss. Not touching finasteride in my lifetime with all the side effects it gives.

Short sexy hair gel (lol thats the name of the product, not my hair name). Suavecito pomade, Bed Head hair spray, Paul Mitchell thickening shampoo and conditioner.

I may go ahead with a caffeine shampoo for hair loss, but I will ask the forum first for opinions although the topic has been mentioned before.

For styling wax I use the regular Bed head matte which is what the forum recommends for all hair types and needs when not looking for something specific.
12-08-2014, 12:06 PM
I'm growing my hair out and don't go for any particular style, just finger combed back. My hair is wavy/curly and about 4.5" long now.

I use…
  • Whatever shampoo is on hand for the weekly scalp cleanse
  • Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner
  • Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave-In Conditioner
  • Groom & Clean

The shampoo is once a week, and the rest is daily.
12-10-2014, 04:04 AM
(12-06-2014 10:56 AM)inmate Wrote:  I use Redken Rough Paste from Amazon and I love it. It does not feel sticky or greasy like American Crew wax or paste. I highly recommend it if you hate feeling like your hair is sticky and dirty. I also use Herstyler serum to keep my hair healthy and hair straightener when I do my hair. How about you?

Our household all use Pro Naturals Hair Repair System
12-24-2014, 08:38 PM
I had been using the By Vilain line and don't recommend it at all. Made my hair over oily and didn't even hold at all.
01-02-2015, 11:08 PM
(12-24-2014 08:38 PM)Fundercuts05 Wrote:  I had been using the By Vilain line and don't recommend it at all. Made my hair over oily and didn't even hold at all.

I have been using their gold digger and silver fox, and I love using them
01-03-2015, 05:53 AM
(12-24-2014 08:38 PM)Fundercuts05 Wrote:  I had been using the By Vilain line and don't recommend it at all. Made my hair over oily and didn't even hold at all.

I had a similar experience with the by Vilain products. For me Tigi for styling wax and something like Suavecito for pomade. Check out the Gatsby hair products, i hope i spell the name right Big Grin i have tried them here and there and so far they are holding up good. Big thread on the Gatsby products in the forum in this link.
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...um-members

Something else i never paid attention to was the haircare products for men. That until i joined this forum, read the hair book, thread etc... conditioner at least one time a week and always used when you shampoo. It makes a huge difference and most guys go from shampoo to styling, no conditioner. Add the conditioner and it makes your hair so easy to comb and style. I know the curly guys go crazy with the conditioners but its conditioners are also good for straight hair or a blend of straight and wavy hair.
I like the Agadir conditioner in this thread but i am still testing other conditioners.
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...-Epic-List

For hair gel check out the Tigi mohawk hair gel. I think that was the name and there was a thread in the forum about it that i am trying to find. When you type Tigi on the search results you get so many results and i fel lazy to go thru all of the results to find it Big Grin
01-05-2015, 10:44 PM
what do people think of the new R+CO line?
01-10-2015, 10:53 PM
head and shoulders shampoo (color pink, it is "smooth and silky")

and

Tigi Bedhead matte wax.
03-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Vo5 matte clay atm, great for my thick hair, I need the hold.
05-09-2015, 12:29 PM
I have quite a few hair products, I've ran out of some but I will be ordering more. In any case these are the hair products that I usually have or that I've bought recently and that I enjoy enough to make them a staple in my daily hair grooming:
  • Tigi hair wax.
  • Suavecito pomade.
  • Tresemme conditioner.
  • Head and Shoulders shampoo.
  • Moroccan oil styling cream.
  • With hair gel I'm not too fuzzy and I usually grab something from Tigi or American Crew. Whatever brand I choose I will usually buy a medium to strong hold hair gel.
  • T3 hair dryer.
  • Cordless Andis hair clipper. I learned of it through this forum, great find as it's the only cordless hair clipper that I feel confident enough with using it for as long as I want on any haircut. It's a precise and powerful hair clipper. For more on this Andis cordless hair clipper see this thread: http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...ble-REVIEW
  • Babyliss flat iron. I don't so much use the flat iron to make my hair straight but instead to create different layers on my hair.
Most of those products can be found in the sticky hair products thread:
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...-Epic-List
If not they're mentioned in other forum threads as I got to learn about most of these products from this forum. I have been a long time lurker in this forum and only recently decided to join.

Next in line is a leave in conditioner and a hair mask. My hair doesn't need a lot of conditioning so I guess I got lucky with that. I did find that shampooing three times per week worked almost instantly to make my hair feel better and smoother.
05-11-2015, 06:00 AM
I am very new to hair products in general, so I just purchased a sample kit of the Hanz de Fuko line. I've used American Crew Gel for a really long time because it worked with my extremely short hair. Now that I am growing my hair out I don't have a clue what to use hence the reason I bought a sample pack of pomade, cream, wax, ect.
05-11-2015, 08:53 AM
(05-11-2015 06:00 AM)Aaron868 Wrote:  I am very new to hair products in general, so I just purchased a sample kit of the Hanz de Fuko line. I've used American Crew Gel for a really long time because it worked with my extremely short hair. Now that I am growing my hair out I don't have a clue what to use hence the reason I bought a sample pack of pomade, cream, wax, ect.

If you're planning to grow your hair long then a good styling cream will fare better than using a styling wax or pomade. That said you may have short hair or medium length hair for now so a good pomade or styling wax will do very well.

It's when your hair gets quite long that styling creams are better for long hair than pomades or styling waxes. Styling creams give a lot of gloss to your hair and have anti frizz properties which is very useful once you have long hair.

I'm not a fan of the Hanz de Fuko hair products and we don't recommend them in our barbershop for our customers. Instead I suggest that you just get the best products out of each hair product type. You can have a look at the best hair products list for a thread where the best products for each product type are listed. In my opinion brands like Tigi, Suavecito or even American Crew are better than Hanz de Fuko. There are lots of brands in that thread that represent some of the best hair products for men available so have a look in there and ask around. It can get a tad confusing knowing what hair product to buy when you're new to hair products but the guys here do a good job at explaining what everything is for.

Cheers!
05-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Dang, Wish I would have found this site before making my purchase. Oh well I guess I'm only out $15 if I don't like the products. That is a pretty awesome list of stuff. Thanks for the reply Bradley.
05-16-2015, 06:06 AM
Which wax does Mariano di Vaio use for his hair?
tnx Smile
05-16-2015, 07:57 AM
Mariano di Vaio uses a hairstyling wax with some shine and a strong hold.
(05-16-2015 06:06 AM)Yesparti Wrote:  Which wax does Mariano di Vaio use for his hair?

The hair product used by Mariano di Vaio is a styling wax. In his case, it's a medium shine and strong-hold styling wax. Have a look at this list of Gatsby hair wax products and get the styling wax labeled as "for a strong hold with some shine" (number 4 in the list). If in the UK, you can also check out those same Gatsby hair waxes in this other Gatsby hair wax list.

In case you haven't seen it in the forum, we actually have in the following link a guide on the hairstyles and haircuts of Mariano di Vaio with lots of pictures of his hair in different styles. If you dig his trendy hairstyles, then have a look at the guide to learn more about his hair styles and get some hairstyle inspiration! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-16-2015, 08:17 AM
Thanks Smile but I think that a product "Rubber Gatsby MOVING WILD SHAKE Hair Wax" is too cheap for Mariano di Vaio haha... what about the styling wax called "Hanz de Fuko sponge wax"?
05-20-2015, 01:46 PM
(05-16-2015 08:17 AM)Yesparti Wrote:  Thanks Smile but I think that a product "Rubber Gatsby MOVING WILD SHAKE Hair Wax" is too cheap for Mariano di Vaio haha... what about the styling wax called "Hanz de Fuko sponge wax"?

I'm not a hairstylist but I think it's not very smart to pay extra bucks for what's pretty much the same product. Hanz de Fuko hair products are overpriced and from my experience they don't really do much. I tried one of their waxes recently and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I would much rather get something from Tigi or Gatsby like it was suggested above. These are cheaper waxes and clays and they are known to work on all hair types.

I work in the advertising industry for a big company with some big clients we work with, so I'm well aware of all the tricks that companies try to use to increase the perceived value of their products even when the extra value is nothing but zombie dust. Using a high price is actually one of these tricks. As you mention, the Gatsby wax is too cheap for that that guy in the pictures which I have no idea who he is. That's your mind thinking that because the product has a good price it must be a mediocre product. Be careful with thinking like that as you'e falling right into the trap.

There's a lot of discussions on the forum on good brands like Tigi or Gatsby -- I know because I've spent hours on this forum just reading all product threads to decide what to buy -- so they may be cheap but they do the job. I've been using both types of waxes for different textures and all i can say is that they deliver results. I don't have any dogs in this fight so go with whatever you think is best. But we're talking hair products here and not luxury cars...
05-23-2015, 04:50 AM
(05-20-2015 01:46 PM)Mike Lowe Wrote:  
(05-16-2015 08:17 AM)Yesparti Wrote:  Thanks Smile but I think that a product "Rubber Gatsby MOVING WILD SHAKE Hair Wax" is too cheap for Mariano di Vaio haha... what about the styling wax called "Hanz de Fuko sponge wax"?

I'm not a hairstylist but I think it's not very smart to pay extra bucks for what's pretty much the same product. Hanz de Fuko hair products are overpriced and from my experience they don't really do much. I tried one of their waxes recently and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I would much rather get something from Tigi or Gatsby like it was suggested above. These are cheaper waxes and clays and they are known to work on all hair types.

I work in the advertising industry for a big company with some big clients we work with, so I'm well aware of all the tricks that companies try to use to increase the perceived value of their products even when the extra value is nothing but zombie dust. Using a high price is actually one of these tricks. As you mention, the Gatsby wax is too cheap for that that guy in the pictures which I have no idea who he is. That's your mind thinking that because the product has a good price it must be a mediocre product. Be careful with thinking like that as you'e falling right into the trap.

There's a lot of discussions on the forum on good brands like Tigi or Gatsby -- I know because I've spent hours on this forum just reading all product threads to decide what to buy -- so they may be cheap but they do the job. I've been using both types of waxes for different textures and all i can say is that they deliver results. I don't have any dogs in this fight so go with whatever you think is best. But we're talking hair products here and not luxury cars...

Thank you I think you're right , but still I saw videos and liked the results of the Hanz de Fuko.
What better do you think the HYBRIDIZED or the SPONGE WAX ​​?
I have fairly long hair , wavy and do a bit of trouble sometimes but after Hair dryer is Straight.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Looking for new products, requiring some advice (pics at the end) Magikarp_Approves 0 85 11-06-2016 04:05 PM
Last Post: Magikarp_Approves
  Mens Hair Products: Quick Useful 101 Guide The Hairstylist 2 316 10-26-2016 09:54 AM
Last Post: A London Barber
Smile Are there good products to dye your beard orange? Duaov 1 159 09-16-2016 04:55 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  If you could solve one problem with male hair products what would it be and why? TotalHairNoob 0 199 08-08-2016 07:40 AM
Last Post: TotalHairNoob