Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What hair loss product really works for receding hairline?!
09-05-2015, 02:51 AM
What hair loss product really works for receding hairline?!
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and have done some research but there's so many reviews and so many products. I just don't know which to buy.
Any help and input is greatly appreciated.

I am 21 and curse my damn hair genes im losing my hairline at the temples.
It started about 4 years ago and I never noticed it till about a year ago and now I am at the point I want to do something about it.

I never leave the house without a hat. I'm even at the beach wearing a hat in waist deep water. I Just can't accept it and let it be seen if it doesn't need too!

My hairline has a V-shape and, starting towards the top, it is starting to thin. My hair isn't short or too long right now, but I usually brush it to the right side (which is receding and thining faster than the left) to cover some of the thinness

I've read everything from Rogaine to dying your hair.
So my ultimate question is what is the very best product I can buy for my situation?
I've been taking all vitamins, some hair and nail pills, I haven't taken any fish oil pills yet.
I'll try to post some pictures later today.
Thank you in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Minoxidil & finasteride are the best hair loss treatments for androgenetic alopecia.
The only over-the-counter hair loss product that works for male pattern baldness is minoxidil. While minoxidil has shown a more-profound effect on battling the hair thinning occurring on the vertex, it will also work on a receding hairline. Bear in mind that a receding hairline is one of the first signs of balding. Once the hairline has receded to about the vertical length of the ears, rapid thinning occurs at the vertex (i.e. the back of the top of the head) as the hairline continues to recede and eventually meets the vertex.

Minoxidil works the best when used as soon as possible, whether it is with a receding hairline (with no vertex thinning) or whether it is on a thinning vertex. If you only have a receding hairline and some good hair density on the top of the head (including on the vertex area), then you need to start using minoxidil as soon as possible.

Have a look at this list of hair loss products for men which includes some of the best product brands containing minoxidil. The main (and most-recognized) brand is Rogaine, but any of the other brands in that list under the section for minoxidil-based products will work just as well.

If you're going to go ahead and use minoxidil, make sure that you buy at least a 6-month supply of the product. This is because the positive results from using minoxidil can take up to 6 months to appear. Furthermore, the positive results (i.e. hair loss stops or hair regrows) can only be maintained for as long as the minoxidil product is used; this means that you will need to be on the product for the long term to keep the hair-growth gains that you will get.

In the list of hair loss products that I've linked above, you will also find other products that can help as part of a hair-loss treatment plan. However, the main key player in a hair-loss regimen is minoxidil, unless you want to use a doctor-prescribed medication called finasteride.

The problem with finasteride is that it can have some serious side effects if you're unlucky; these side effects include impotence, loss of libido and depression, among other side effects. In your case, however, going on a 6-month trial of minoxidil (e.g. with Rogaine) and, then, making a decision as to whether to jump on finasteride too would be the smartest decision.

It goes without saying that you should see a doctor if you want to try finasteride and that you should get some blood tests done including those measuring some of your sex hormones. You want to know what your basal levels of both free testosterone and dihydrotestosterone are before using finasteride.

Unfortunately and despite the massive advances in medical technology, male pattern baldness continues to be an incurable condition (i.e. there's no cure for it) and it can only be managed. Minoxidil the first line of treatment against a receding hairline and against other signs of male pattern baldness as this compound doesn't come with the side effects of finasteride.

Since you were asking which hair-loss products really work for a receding hairline (i.e.male pattern baldness), then it truly boils down to either minoxidil (over the counter and safe) or finasteride (prescribed by a doctor and can cause some serious side effects).

In any case, we always recommend in this forum to see a dermatologist to ensure that the receding hairline is, in fact, the first stage of male pattern baldness (in just about all cases of a receding hairline, male pattern baldness is the cause). However, you can start using a minoxidil-based product (like the ones in the linked list above) as soon as you want.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
10-04-2015, 12:40 PM
RE: What hair loss product really works for receding hairline?!
Thank you for your reply.
And thank you for the link. I think I am going to start the Rogaine treatment and see if I can start regrowing my hair at the hairline. I am either wearing a hat or have to cut my hair really short so it is not as noticeable. Even then, the thin hair at the hairline makes it noticeable to see my scalp. I haven't noticed any hair loss at my vertex, and I'm hoping i don't. If I do, I just might go crazy. Should I apply Rogaine to the thin hair at my hairline and my temples? Or on the vertex as well?
Here are some pictures of my current hair line.

The right side: I went at it with a hair clipper the other day, you can see it regrowing. It won't let me post any pics. So just ignore me mentioning the pictures.

The left side: I also shaved it a little so the hairline goes straight down and doesn't really curve down. I think it doesn't make the hairline look as bad but it still doesn't look well.

And here is the thinning hair. I really noticed the thinning hair a few weeks ago when I held my hair down to the side and I yanked a few out, they are so tiny and thin, they look almost white-ish/clear-ish

The barber the other day also mentioned to me I should look into a hair thickening shampoo. Should I use that along with Rogaine?
Thanks again.
-Serf27
10-04-2015, 01:46 PM
You should use Rogaine on the vertex as well as on the receding forehead's hairline.
You're welcome! Smile

Don't worry, if you aren't aware of any vertex thinning going on currently, then chance are that there isn't any indeed. Most guys discover via others that they are thinning and balding at the vertex, since usually a family member or a friend will point it out. Regardless, it'd do you a favor to double check the vertex area of your head with a mirror and with normal lighting; this means that you should check your scalp and vertex in daylight conditions and with no artificial lighting (e.g. at night with the bathroom's lights).

I've upgraded your account so that you can post and embed pictures. Feel free to post as many as you wish, although we always recommend that you take at least a picture of each of the following areas of the head:
  • Profile view of the head (i.e. from the side). Make sure that your hair is pulled back (softly) by either combing it back or holding it back with your free hand as you take the picture.
  • Frontal view of the head with a clear view of the forehead's hairline. Again, male sure that your hair is pulled or combed back.
  • Top view of the head. Do not pull your hair back for this picture. Just take the picture with your hair naturally sitting flat on your scalp
With regards to Rogaine, yes, you should be applying it to the main problem areas (in male pattern baldness), even if you don't have any thinning yet aside from the thinning at the hairline. So apply the Rogaine on the vertex as well as on the hairline and temples of your head.

A good hair-thickening shampoo will also be of good to you when combined with the Rogaine as your own hair-loss regimen. As a matter of fact, you could also consider other hair-thickening products like a conditioner or a hair mousse. Have a look at these recommended hair thickening products for men that I've reviewed in the linked post. You will find in that linked post some of the best hair-thickening products around in different product categories, including a great thickening shampoo as well as a great thickening conditioner.

If you want to make the most of your hair and its aesthetics, you should be using a hair conditioner anyway. In the case that you don't have a hair conditioner just yet, then consider purchasing the hair-thickening conditioner that you will find recommended in the aforementioned linked post. However, if you have a limited budget, then just get the recommended hair-thickening shampoo and get the Argan oil conditioner in our official men's hair products guide.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help. Not sure about the state of my hairline. Rivere 0 405 10-21-2016 01:51 PM
Last Post: Rivere
  What product is it? Kusen 1 156 10-06-2016 03:05 PM
Last Post: briangreen
Shocked 21 years old. I am going bald, having maturing hairline or just paranoic HardRocker995 0 1,257 09-22-2016 09:30 AM
Last Post: HardRocker995
  Is this hair loss? AwesomeHair 0 443 09-11-2016 05:31 AM
Last Post: AwesomeHair