Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you do to grow your hair out without it looking weird or messy?
05-28-2015, 06:49 PM
What do you do to grow your hair out without it looking weird or messy?
Hey guys,

I recently cut my medium length hair about 3-4 weeks ago and it was because the hair didn't look that good. I am thinking of growing out my hair again, but I need some tips from you guys. I was told before to not cut my hair at all when growing my hair until I get the length I want, but wouldn't messy hair look a bit cleaner if it was trimmed once in a while? And also, I was told that you should have the same length for every hair on your head so that it doesn't create the bowl cut effect or mushroom head. The hair on the top of my head is about 2 inches and the hair on the left and right side of my head is about a centimetre. The top hairs on the back of my head are a bit longer than the hairs that are on the bottom back of my head. Should I cut the hairs so that all of them are the same length so that it wouldn't create the mushroom effect? And one final question.

I posted pictures of my hair before it was cut on this thread here; http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...-of-months

You can see that the hairs on top and back are all over the place. What can I do to prevent that? I put a Dove anti-frizz serum on but it still looked like rats.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2015, 08:06 AM
RE: What do you do to grow your hair out without it looking weird or messy?
Hi mate the first thing is that there's a period of time when you're growing your hair long where the hair looks awkward. We actually call that period of funky hair growth when growing your hair long the 'awkward stage'.

Each guy has a different period for his awkward stage. Usually from my experience it's your hair type the main thing affecting how long your awkward stage will be. Guys with straight hair only have like a month or two where their hair is a bit difficult to handle before it gets to hang down. Guys with kinky hair which is the exact opposite of straight hair do get to have an awkward stage of a year and even more. You can read this hair type guide for more info on the hair types for men and how their shape changes a lot between types of hair.

At our barbershop we get a lot of guys who give up on their long hair goal because of the awkward stage. One critical thing to grow your hair long and avoid the awkward stage as much as possible is to grow your hair out from the same starting length. Like you said this is to avoid the mushroom effect.

From the description of your haircut you must have some type of taper haircut which is a very common barbershop haircut.

How long do you want your hair to be? You can either trim the top now or wait a couple of months. You said the top is only two inches long so it's still a short length so what I would do is go to a barber and get your hair trimmed evenly to one inch so that the hair on the sides and back of the head are at the same length as the hair on the top of the head. This is the perfect situation to grow your hair long.

From my experience I will also say that one inch of difference between the top and the sides is fine to grow your hair long. When the hair on the top is something like six inches long, the hair on your sides and back will be five inches long and the difference will hardly be visible. As a matter of fact the longer your hair grows the less visible the difference will become. Right now you can see the difference because one inch is half the length of your hair on the top. But as your hair grows longer it will be as if the difference just fades in the background.

If the difference between the hair on the top and the hair on the sides is over one inch then I recommend to trim it all even. But in your case I think that you can get away with not trimming it.

Do you have a front picture of your head? also what's the final hair length you want to achieve?

Cheers!
05-29-2015, 08:55 AM
(05-29-2015 08:06 AM)Bradley Wrote:  Hi mate the first thing is that there's a period of time when you're growing your hair long where the hair looks awkward. We actually call that period of funky hair growth when growing your hair long the 'awkward stage'.

Each guy has a different period for his awkward stage. Usually from my experience it's your hair type the main thing affecting how long your awkward stage will be. Guys with straight hair only have like a month or two where their hair is a bit difficult to handle before it gets to hang down. Guys with kinky hair which is the exact opposite of straight hair do get to have an awkward stage of a year and even more. You can read this hair type guide for more info on the hair types for men and how their shape changes a lot between types of hair.

At our barbershop we get a lot of guys who give up on their long hair goal because of the awkward stage. One critical thing to grow your hair long and avoid the awkward stage as much as possible is to grow your hair out from the same starting length. Like you said this is to avoid the mushroom effect.

From the description of your haircut you must have some type of taper haircut which is a very common barbershop haircut.

How long do you want your hair to be? You can either trim the top now or wait a couple of months. You said the top is only two inches long so it's still a short length so what I would do is go to a barber and get your hair trimmed evenly to one inch so that the hair on the sides and back of the head are at the same length as the hair on the top of the head. This is the perfect situation to grow your hair long.

From my experience I will also say that one inch of difference between the top and the sides is fine to grow your hair long. When the hair on the top is something like six inches long, the hair on your sides and back will be five inches long and the difference will hardly be visible. As a matter of fact the longer your hair grows the less visible the difference will become. Right now you can see the difference because one inch is half the length of your hair on the top. But as your hair grows longer it will be as if the difference just fades in the background.

If the difference between the hair on the top and the hair on the sides is over one inch then I recommend to trim it all even. But in your case I think that you can get away with not trimming it.

Do you have a front picture of your head? also what's the final hair length you want to achieve?

Cheers!

Thank you for the reply, Bradley.

So I'm guessing that the "awkward stage" is when the hair sticks out like the first picture I posted in the forum I linked? If not I am sorry, I would appreciate it if you can specify what the "awkward stage" looks like. And to reply to your question, I am thinking of growing it to my shoulders. The hair on my left and right are about one centimetre or a tiny bit less and the hair is about 2 inches on the top so I think I should get all my hair to the same length.

I would like to have two questions answered so that I would know what to do to my hair. The questions are:

Would trimming my hair a little bit make it look less messy once in a while?
What can I do to avoid my hair looking not that great as shown in the first picture in the linked thread?

Thanks again.
05-29-2015, 10:08 AM
Yep the awkward stage is the time period that it takes for your hair to hang down. I don't know if you have read the Men's Hair book but it actually lists there the lengths for each hair type.

I can't remember the lengths listed in that book as I don't have it in front of me but since you have wavy hair, i'd say from my experience that you will need eight inches of length before your hair hangs down. For your hair to reach your shoulders you will need about twelve inches. Once your wavy hair has reached the shoulders it will look fantastic as wavy hair and a shoulder length fare very well. For some extra inspiration see these long wavy hairstyles pictures.

Before your hair gets to hang down in full it will be hanging down at an angle which is what makes your hair look awkward. It will also be too long to style in some of the popular hairstyles and you will not be able to get any of the undercut hairstyle since you need the length on the sides and back of your head. That means that you will be stuck for a couple of months in a situation where your hair is puffed out and hanging down at an angle only.

(05-29-2015 08:55 AM)pt3407 Wrote:  Would trimming my hair a little bit make it look less messy once in a while?
What can I do to avoid my hair looking not that great as shown in the first picture in the linked thread?

Thanks again.

No, never trim your hair when growing it long. The way to avoid your hair looking messy is by taking care of your hair. I take it that you have a conditioner already and that you know how to use it with a shampoo. Right? If not then see this thread on how to use shampoos and conditioners for good hair care habits. Just that alone will help you tons to avoid your hair becoming a rat's nest or as it's called in the Men's Hair book a 'dead rat'! Big Grin

For your second question your hair is too short still. So you can use any hair product that you want. It's when your hair gets to six inches of length that you will need to switch to a good hairstyling cream. With a hairstyling cream you will be able to control the frizz of your hair and you will be able to help your hair hang down better until it gets to twelve inches of length. Another great thing about a good hairstyling cream is that it gives a lot of natural shine and gloss to your hair so it will be doing the opposite of having nasty looking hair.

Right now your hair is short so I recommend the following products for short hair:
  • Hair wax: use a good hair wax to shape your hair up and with volume. If you want a natural texture then get the Tigi hair wax in this post from Jurgen as it is a hair wax that's popular in this forum and which I can vouch for it just like I've tried just about all the products in this forum too (but then I get most of them for free being a barber).

If you prefer a glossy high shine texture, then get the high shine wax in this post with a list of four Gatsby waxes with the high shine wax that you want being the first wax listed out of those four waxes.
  • Hair gel: if your prefer that your hair look and feel hard, or if you want to get your hair spiky or with messy spikes, then use a good hair gel. Get the Mohawk hair gel in this hair gel guide which lists some really good hair gels that will help you to tame your hair and getting spiked up or shaped in any style that you fancy.
  • Pomade: use a good pomade once your hair is over three inches in length. You will use a pomade if you want to have your hair in a flat hairstyle like a slicked back hairstyle. So if you want to comb your hair back or to the side, then use a good pomade.

See this post comparing two of the best pomades for men that I recommend that you get even if you aren't planning any flat slicked hairstyles for now (always have at last one of those two pomades in your house as they're cheap and work great).
You can buy one of each product listed above or just buy one. You will find in each linked post all the recommended waxes, gels and pomades so you just can't go wrong. Even tho your hair is two inches right now I do recommend that you buy the pomade now as in four to six weeks your hair will be three inches long anyway.

Once your hair is over six inches in length, you then switch to the following products and keep using them as your hair grows longer and gets to your goal of twelve inches:
  • Hairstyling cream: you use the hairstyling cream to give your hair a lot of natural shine and make it smooth. If you're going to tie your hair into updo hairstyles like the man bun hairstyle then use a hairstyling cream too.

One of the best hairstyling creams is found in this forum list of recommend hair products and you will find the hairstyling cream a bit down the first post under a section labelled as for 'Best hair cream or styling cream'. They list one from moroccan oil which is moisturising and which will help your hair a lot during the awkward stage.
  • Leave in conditioner: you use the leave-in conditioner for any time that you don't feel like use the hairstyling cream. A leave in conditioner does the same as the hairstyling cream but it doesn't provide the extra shine of the hairstyling cream. Instead it makes your hair a tad more softer and smoother.

See this list of leave in conditioners which vary in price but which are all great leave in conditioners for long hair.
So just go through each of the links with the recommended products and buy them as your budget allows. If your money to buy hair products is a bit tight then it's best that you buy the hair wax, hair gel and pomade as your hair is short.

Bookmark this thread and the threads that I've linked to so that you can come back to them in one month and buy the hairstyling cream and leave-in conditioner in preparation for your long hair. You can also stock up on more hair waxes, gels or pomades.

Most of the recommended products that you will find in each thread I've linked to are from Amazon and have the best prices you will find. Couple that with the great shipping and delivery from Amazon and you can easily get a price and delivery (to your home) that you just won't find anywhere else with any other online vendor or at any stores.

I hope that my advice and recommendations have helped you mate and make sure to update us on how your hair grows and how the hair products work so that you can get some feedback to correct any issues. You're in for the long haul as it's going to take you a good amount of months to get your hair to shoulder length. But every lad from our barbershop who has grown his hair to that length or thereabouts could not be happier with his hair. Just make sure that you use the right hair products as above and that you take good care of your hair.

Cheers! Smile
05-29-2015, 02:35 PM
(05-29-2015 10:08 AM)Bradley Wrote:  Yep the awkward stage is the time period that it takes for your hair to hang down. I don't know if you have read the Men's Hair book but it actually lists there the lengths for each hair type.

I can't remember the lengths listed in that book as I don't have it in front of me but since you have wavy hair, i'd say from my experience that you will need eight inches of length before your hair hangs down. For your hair to reach your shoulders you will need about twelve inches. Once your wavy hair has reached the shoulders it will look fantastic as wavy hair and a shoulder length fare very well. For some extra inspiration see these long wavy hairstyles pictures.

Before your hair gets to hang down in full it will be hanging down at an angle which is what makes your hair look awkward. It will also be too long to style in some of the popular hairstyles and you will not be able to get any of the undercut hairstyle since you need the length on the sides and back of your head. That means that you will be stuck for a couple of months in a situation where your hair is puffed out and hanging down at an angle only.

(05-29-2015 08:55 AM)pt3407 Wrote:  Would trimming my hair a little bit make it look less messy once in a while?

Thanks again.

No, never trim your hair when growing it long. The way to avoid your hair looking messy is by taking care of your hair. I take it that you have a conditioner already and that you know how to use it with a shampoo. Right? If not then see this thread on how to use shampoos and conditioners for good hair care habits. Just that alone will help you tons to avoid your hair becoming a rat's nest or as it's called in the Men's Hair book a 'dead rat'! Big Grin

For your second question your hair is too short still. So you can use any hair product that you want. It's when your hair gets to six inches of length that you will need to switch to a good hairstyling cream. With a hairstyling cream you will be able to control the frizz of your hair and you will be able to help your hair hang down better until it gets to twelve inches of length. Another great thing about a good hairstyling cream is that it gives a lot of natural shine and gloss to your hair so it will be doing the opposite of having nasty looking hair.

Right now your hair is short so I recommend the following products for short hair:
  • Hair wax: use a good hair wax to shape your hair up and with volume. If you want a natural texture then get the Tigi hair wax in this post from Jurgen as it is a hair wax that's popular in this forum and which I can vouch for it just like I've tried just about all the products in this forum too (but then I get most of them for free being a barber).

If you prefer a glossy high shine texture, then get the high shine wax in this post with a list of four Gatsby waxes with the high shine wax that you want being the first wax listed out of those four waxes.
  • Hair gel: if your prefer that your hair look and feel hard, or if you want to get your hair spiky or with messy spikes, then use a good hair gel. Get the Mohawk hair gel in this hair gel guide which lists some really good hair gels that will help you to tame your hair and getting spiked up or shaped in any style that you fancy.
  • Pomade: use a good pomade once your hair is over three inches in length. You will use a pomade if you want to have your hair in a flat hairstyle like a slicked back hairstyle. So if you want to comb your hair back or to the side, then use a good pomade.

See this post comparing two of the best pomades for men that I recommend that you get even if you aren't planning any flat slicked hairstyles for now (always have at last one of those two pomades in your house as they're cheap and work great).
You can buy one of each product listed above or just buy one. You will find in each linked post all the recommended waxes, gels and pomades so you just can't go wrong. Even tho your hair is two inches right now I do recommend that you buy the pomade now as in four to six weeks your hair will be three inches long anyway.

Once your hair is over six inches in length, you then switch to the following products and keep using them as your hair grows longer and gets to your goal of twelve inches:
  • Hairstyling cream: you use the hairstyling cream to give your hair a lot of natural shine and make it smooth. If you're going to tie your hair into updo hairstyles like the man bun hairstyle then use a hairstyling cream too.

One of the best hairstyling creams is found in this forum list of recommend hair products and you will find the hairstyling cream a bit down the first post under a section labelled as for 'Best hair cream or styling cream'. They list one from moroccan oil which is moisturising and which will help your hair a lot during the awkward stage.
  • Leave in conditioner: you use the leave-in conditioner for any time that you don't feel like use the hairstyling cream. A leave in conditioner does the same as the hairstyling cream but it doesn't provide the extra shine of the hairstyling cream. Instead it makes your hair a tad more softer and smoother.

See this list of leave in conditioners which vary in price but which are all great leave in conditioners for long hair.
So just go through each of the links with the recommended products and buy them as your budget allows. If your money to buy hair products is a bit tight then it's best that you buy the hair wax, hair gel and pomade as your hair is short.

Bookmark this thread and the threads that I've linked to so that you can come back to them in one month and buy the hairstyling cream and leave-in conditioner in preparation for your long hair. You can also stock up on more hair waxes, gels or pomades.

Most of the recommended products that you will find in each thread I've linked to are from Amazon and have the best prices you will find. Couple that with the great shipping and delivery from Amazon and you can easily get a price and delivery (to your home) that you just won't find anywhere else with any other online vendor or at any stores.

I hope that my advice and recommendations have helped you mate and make sure to update us on how your hair grows and how the hair products work so that you can get some feedback to correct any issues. You're in for the long haul as it's going to take you a good amount of months to get your hair to shoulder length. But every lad from our barbershop who has grown his hair to that length or thereabouts could not be happier with his hair. Just make sure that you use the right hair products as above and that you take good care of your hair.

Cheers! Smile

As you told me, you said that I have wavy hair. I'm half chinese and half japanese and I don't really think that I got wavy hair like the photos shown in a thread. Did you check the pictures in the thread I linked? I'm pretty sure that I got straight hair with a bit of curl but I don't really know. Also, I checked pictures online of people with hair that is 12 inches long, I didn't mean to state that I wanted my hair THAT long. I was thinking more like about almost touching the shoulders. Thank you for your advice though Smile
05-30-2015, 09:02 PM
bump bump bump bump bump bump bump
06-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Can someone help me out with the type of hair I have from the pictures posted in the other forum? Thanks.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Wink How to grow long hair like Avan Jogia from short medium haircut zuburaika 6 7,346 09-11-2016 04:33 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Decided to grow how my hair and I have some questions! Whyduude 0 390 06-29-2016 02:23 PM
Last Post: Whyduude
  Shoudler-length wavy, messy and frizzy hair - Indications needed mateus560276 0 530 06-20-2016 05:17 AM
Last Post: mateus560276
  How to grow Asian thick hair long from undercut hairstyle? SeqeR 0 874 09-13-2015 11:22 PM
Last Post: SeqeR