Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you consider before cutting your long hair as a guy?
10-29-2014, 10:53 AM
What do you consider before cutting your long hair as a guy?
I would like to start a discussion with you long hair men on what do you consider before cutting your long hair? This is a question that can be answered by any current long hairs or former long hairs.

By cutting your long hair, I am talking of significantly cutting the hair so that you go back to having short hair or medium length hair. We could get some ideas on what to consider before taking the big step of cutting your long mane, as many men (especially) do repent having cut their long tresses.

I used to have long hair some time ago. The day I decided to cu my hair, I simply considered what the time investment was with long hair versus short hair. I loved my long mane, but it was distracting me from more serious stuff on my life as I was going through a very hectic period of my life back when I had long hair. So I got a long hair haircut!

What is your experience? Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2014, 01:14 PM
RE: What do you consider before cutting your long hair as a guy?
Good question to ask to the long hairs of the forum Idea

As a hairdresser I have seen my fair bit of women and men who come to the salon to cut their long hair to a short length. Most of the time it is because they are tired of having long hair or because they have seen a hairstyle on Tv or a magazine that they really really like. But before jumping on the chair to have your tresses chopped off, one must think about the implications of this decision. Here are some things that as a hairdresser I think one has to consider before cutting his or her long hair.

1. Consider how long it takes your hair to grow. If you have been growing your hair a long time, you may not realize it if your hair growth rate has slowed. Test the rate by asking your hairdresser to take 1 inch off the ends. Wait a month and examine the growth. Has the length returned quickly or have you noticed the length has hardly moved at all?

2. Consider what you will look like after the haircut. Some stylists have computer programs that will show your face wearing dozens of different hairstyles. If your stylist does not have access to this of program then you could use a photograph of yourself and place pictures of hairdo on the photo.

3. If you are trading in your long hair for a trendy new style, ask yourself how trendy is it. Are only Hollywood movie stars wearing it or are people you know wearing it too? No one should cut his or her hair for a trend or fading hairstyle. Hairstyle trends are important but choosing a haircut based on them may be risky.

4. Think about how much work it will be to maintain your new style. A short haircut may look easy but a lot of work goes into spiking, parting and curling trendy styles. With long hair you can be very minimal with the hairstyles. You either wear it loose or tie it.

5. Choose your hairstylist carefully. Some stylist do not like cutting long hair or charge more to do so. Other's do not know how to cut ultra long hair and may not tell you so. Pick a stylist who knows how to cut your hair attractively. Meet the stylist ahead of your appointment time. It is important for her or him to understand how delicate this occasion is for you.

Consider giving your cut hair to Locks of Love (USA), Little Princess Trust (UK) or some other organization that accepts hair donations. Share your hair with a child who needs a wig.

Elena
11-27-2014, 07:45 AM
I'm a former longhair who has attempted to grow it back out several times, only to end up with a buzz cut out of frustration. My hair is now at medium length, approaching the 5" mark. I've had the notion to cut it off again this time around, most recently as 2 days ago, but was able to hold off.

Something I read about cutting long hair, or shorter hair when trying to get to long hair is this…

If you decide you want to cut your hair, give yourself 1 day to cool off for every month you've been growing it. If you still want to cut it off at that point, go for it. It'll help to avoid any rash, spur of the moment choices that could potentially set you back several months or even years.

I'm around 6-7 months of growth now, so if I get the urge to shave it off, I've got a week to decide if that's what I really want to do. So far it's saved me from a few cuts I know I would have regretted. A "bad" hair day can be very frustrating and easily lead to a knee jerk reaction. This method helps to avoid that.
12-21-2015, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2015 06:44 PM by blueshift.)
Yeah, try to avoid an impulsive decision when feeling compelled to start cutting lots of length. It can be tempting and invigorating, but walking into some random salon to do something dramatic with your hair can be risky. Be descriptive and thorough with your decision; cutting men's shoulder length short may be interpreted as going to a conservative medium length, or they may take more aggressive liberties and cut much more than intended. Go into it with good photos.
12-30-2015, 07:52 PM
I had to cut my hair since I was applying for the police department. I literally felt defeated after I cut it though. So much patience and struggle then within a snip it's all gone.
08-26-2016, 08:28 PM
I cut my hair today and now I don't want to look in the mirror anymore. I miss the long hair soooooooooooooooooo much! I had it growing out for 7 months...
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Knotted ,lifeless and quite long hair [Help] theboggart 0 132 11-06-2016 11:52 AM
Last Post: theboggart
  How to get long hair like Johnny Depp hairstyle Sonchek 3 462 10-26-2016 11:53 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
Wink How to grow long hair like Avan Jogia from short medium haircut zuburaika 6 7,444 09-11-2016 04:33 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  New hairstyle, long hair to ...? philippe_lopes 0 332 09-08-2016 02:33 PM
Last Post: philippe_lopes