Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your mens hair tips?
10-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Lightbulb What are your mens hair tips?
I thought of posting this in the curly hair section but I think we all can take advice from other hair types. So what are your mens hair tips? it doesn't matter if you have straight hair or curly hair, short hair or long hair etc tell us your tips for your hair.

Two I find have given me a lot of benefits for my curly hair, learn to use a shampoo and use a leave in conditioner to style my curls.
For the shampoo I use the no shampoo method in the curly hair book. I do shampoo two or three times in a week. So much better than using shampoo every day.
I use a leave in conditioner to style my curls although not always. I will use other hair products for curly hair too but I find that for a quick shake and go a leave in conditioner gives my curls a light weight feel and brings out the curls when the hair dries.

What are you tips for mens hair?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2014, 10:20 AM
RE: What are your mens hair tips?
I think the shampoo and leave-in conditioners tips are really good. They are based around hair care which I think should all ways go before hairstyles. If hair is healthy and not damaged, it will look good with even no need for styling.

Its easy to have great, healthy looking hair as a guy if you take a bit of time to learn your hair and soak in some of the advice in the forum especially. Here are some tips for great looking hair if you are a man. We all want healthy, cool mens hair, but unlike women, we don't want to be bothered too much with our hair so we need some more dedicated tips.

Get a good cut.

Get a good cut. Don't be cheap and go the route of a barber or budget hair cutting salon. In most cases when it comes to hair, you get what you pay for. See a good stylist for advice both on the cut and products to use for your style and hair type. Barbers are also good for mens haircuts. You could visit a hair salon first for a trendy mens haircut, then use your barber to maintain the haircut over the course of months or as long as you wanna stay with that haircut.

Hair type.

Know your hair type. We are all really lucky to have a hair type guide as imo that should be the first step to know for great hair. Here in the link (hair type guide) is all one needs to know about hair types. BTW the hair type guide is actually from the mens hair book and was invented by Rogelio Samson. His same guy who wrote the book and very popular for mens hair. He has posted in this forum but I have no idea if he is still posting.

Follow your natural hair.

Don't fight nature. Maybe your hair wants to part on one side, or you have a cowlick that you can't manage. Coarse hair, curly hair or thinning hair? Don't fight this but instead ask your stylist for a style that will use these flaws to your advantage. Just because your favorite movie star looks great in a style doesn't mean you will. I think this is important as lots of guys want an undercut but it tends to look bad with curly hair.I was reading a thread by admin where he posted pics of a curly hair undercut. Bad hairstyle and you should consider your hair type above all for the best hairstyle.

Easy hairstyle.

Use an easy style. Again, this is the job of a good stylist and your ability to do your hair or the time you're willing to spend and the amount you want to spend on products.

Household products too.

Use products you have around the house. A good tip if you have dry or damaged hair is to spray on milk and let it soak into your hair for a few minutes then was as usual. You may find your hair shiny and more manageable with this treatment. Olive oil and coconut butter also work great as conditioners. Lots of threads explaining this in the forum.

Massage the scalp.

Massage your scalp. Using the pads of your fingers, massage your scalp gently. This will stimulate oils and loosed products. It also feels great. Don't scratch with your fingernails.

Use a good shampoo.

Use a shampoo that is good for your hair or that you like the scent. Again, ask your stylist for advice if you don't have a shampoo you like already that works well for you. Keep in mind that the dry or oily hair you have may be in part to the wrong shampoo or products you use.

Use enough product for results.

Don't use too much product to style your hair. If you have short hair and the proper cut, you may not need any product to keep your hair looking nice all day. Resist the urge to use or over use if you don't need it.

Brush or wide tooth comb.

Use a good brush. Natural bristle is the best thing for your hair and they last forever if you take care of them. For curly hair only use a wide tooth comb.
10-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Hi I would like to post some tips I have posted in a similar thread. It seems like we are allowed to re-post the same content in other thread, if not please moderators remove this post Smile

The thread I posted to was also about hair tips but for cllege students so I took into account costs and time. Also college guys have been the driving force for the man bun and the similar long hairstyles so I also took into account that. Never mind the context of the post as these tips are the same that any other man of any age can use. I have also noticed that there are many young adults in this forum so the tips are quite suited to the theme of the forum Smile (but again you can use them no matter your age).

I also followed a similar format to Sunset above which is the format we have been encouraged by the moderators to use when using titles inside a post. Makes the advice more visible so here are my mens hair tips!

Hair tip #1: Watch your Diet

Watching your diet will not only help you keep your weight from creeping up on you. Watching your diet can go a long way in keeping your hair healthy and strong. Your hair uses vitamins and minerals, and ensuring you eat a well balanced diet and drink plenty of water will go a long way in keeping your mane of locks. There have been some posts in the forum of hair nutrition like in the thread below. You can still ask any questions on hair nutrition, here or there.

Hair tip #2: Careful with your Hair while Drying

Many college male students are using hair dryers and hair straighteners. While there are benefits to air drying you hair, there are also benefits to blow drying your hair. If you are sitting around in your dorm room, you may want to just let your hair air dry instead of taking the time to blow dry it. Your hair is very weak when wet. Blot the water out of your hair instead of rubbing it with a towel. You also need to blot the moisture out of your hair before blow drying it as well. Trying to dry soaking wet hair with a blow dryer can be damaging.

Hair tip #3: Rinse Hair Well After Swimming

Lots of colleges and universities have swimming pools and it is not rare to go to the swimming pool a few times every week since it's cheap and convenient. Chemicals such as chlorine wreak havoc on your hair. When you go swimming, be sure to rinse your hair completely. Do not let chlorinated water dry in your hair. Even if you don't like showering in the locker room, rinse your hair. You don't even have to take your swimming trunks off.

You should use a clarifying shampoo or chelated shampoo after swimming to remove the chemicals from the swimming pool. Have a look at this thread about shampoos for swimming pools as the moderators give some great advice and product recommendations for clarifying shampoos.

Hair tip #4: Don't Wash your Hair too Much

You can wash your hair too much. Shampoo and water can dry your scalp and affect your hair for badly. If your hair is not oily, do not wash it every day. If your hair is a little greasy, you can sprinkle a little baby powder on the roots and brush it through your hair. It actually acts similar to dry shampoo as it soaks up extra oil and make your hair stay soft. Work out a convenient shampoo frequency that keeps your hair in shape. There have been lots of discussions on shampoo frequency in this forum and it's one of the big topics in the Men's Hair book which was where the original method comes from.

Hair tip #5: Use 'Rubber Free' and 'Metal Free' Hair Bands

I mention this tip because hairstyles like the man bun and top knot are becoming trendy hairstyles with young guys and especially those in college years. Where possible avoid the use of rubber bands. The rubber in rubber bands pulls hair and causes hair to become brittle or even break. Keep at hand an assortment of scrunchies or rubber and 'metal free' hair bands that allows you to quickly tie your hair in a man bun or top knot without damaging your hair.

I cringe every time I see a guy (or even a woman!) using a rubber band to tie his hair, that's a great way to damage and break the section of the hair where it is tied from!

10-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Some more tips. These are more for styling hair. More on the hair straightening and hair curling side. Many guys are using hair straighteners and curling irons (especially in this forum), so I will throw in these mens hair styling tips.

Easier straightening:

Many don't know the appropriate way to straighten hair. Should you start at the top? Left? Right? This is what you should do: straighten hair in layers. Grab a nice chunk of hair at the bottom and put the rest of the hair up. Work up as you straighten. This ensures that you get all hair pieces. Plus, it makes straightening your hair easier and manageable.

Blow dry your hair before you straighten:

Though many don't like blow drying their hair due to the frizzy or puffy look it creates, it's a helpful way to get that pin-straight look. Make sure to use a round brush-it simply works better with one. Once your hair is 100% dry, straighten your hair.

Don't blow your hair before you curl:

Since blow drying is used more before straightening hair, it is not recommended you blow dry your hair if you want to curl it. Though it will curl, it will have a hard time holding.

Get your natural oils working:

This might sound kind of gross, but the best way to have great hair is to have your hair a little bit dirty in the natural sense. The natural oils your body produces help keep the hair intact longer than if it were clean.

Don't necessarily have to have the most expensive hair styling tools:

Sure, it's nice to have that Chi hair straightener, but you don't always have to dig deep into your wallet to get one. Other less expensive brands, such as Conair, have been making many people happy for years. Even if you do have the money to buy expensive hair tools, you will find many other brands work just as well. It's nice to have them, but they are not a necessity to have stylish hair.
03-21-2015, 03:42 PM
My main tip would be cutting down on shampoo. Washing your hair is essential, but daily use of shampoo can strip hair of oils needed to keep hair healthy. Cutting down on shampoo and washing your hair with water every now and again can give your hair a new lease of life.

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to get better hair and hairstyles as a male - 5 easy tips The Hairstylist 0 123 10-03-2016 10:32 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  How to turn Curly hair into Straight hair? Straightening tips joserijo 1 1,147 09-25-2015 11:30 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Lightbulb Hair coloring tips for men to get and dye cool hair colors! Mane Man 1 1,157 07-05-2015 01:17 PM
Last Post: ElenaTheBarber
  Any tips on handling awkward stage of growing out Hair shahrukhch1 14 32,125 03-23-2015 11:16 PM
Last Post: shahrukhch1