Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What are some trendy beard styles? recommendations please
04-04-2014, 12:45 PM
What are some trendy beard styles? recommendations please
I have noticed that cool mens hairstyles can go with cool beards too. So what do you experts recommend as cool beard styles? with the range of beard types... there is bound to be trendy ones that can suit looks and hairstyles right?!
For example I have noticed that many men with undercut hairstyles do also wear a full long beard. Men with long hair do also have beards and this is all I am noticing lately. Looks like the hipster look with the beard has also helped to make facial hair more popular so... what are some trendy styles for beards??
Many thanks folks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2014, 12:39 PM
RE: What are some trendy beard styles? recommendations please
Stevens, you're correct, there are more men wearing beards and matching them to their hairstyles. For what is worth, we do have in the hairstyles section a guide on the best hairstyles for beards with lots of pictures of men wearing cool and trendy hairstyles and beard style (worth the check for some inspiration!).

I will list below the main beard styles that I regard as trendy as of today. There are a few other beard and facia hair styles, but they are either archaic or not relevant for a modern male look, although since 2012, we are experiencing in the male fashion industry a revival of old-school styles, including those for facial hair.

Full beard

A full beard is always trendy no matter what. However, scruffy beards are certainly "out" and well-groomed full beards are the name of the game. A good beard trimmer is absolutely necessary to wear a neat full beard that enhances your style, and I remember your case where you are loving the Philips Norelco with the vacuum (pretty neat trimmer for any beard styling).

[Image: tumblr_m5xptphEQE1r8y5ma.jpg]

[Image: a31c1d1ee50d3f225d02df7b8b8648e9.jpg]

Balbo

The Balbo is pretty much a extended goatee that also goes along with a mustache. The Balbo was the style of Tony Stark's beard in Iron Man and, Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark did certainly help to popularize the style.

[Image: nmzpKhG.jpg]

[Image: Iron-man-tony-stark-arc-reactor.jpg]

[Image: edca85babc2911e3a0b11203d828c6cf_8.jpg]

Short boxed beard

A short boxed beard is a well groomed full beard that is also shaped lower across the sides of the face. The shaping of the bearded hair across the sides of the face is done with a safety razor and the trimming with a beard trimmer. The facial hair is left longer than that of stubble, but not longer than half an inch as otherwise the facial hair gets too shaggy (the point of the Short boxed beard is to keep the whole look neat and sharp).

[Image: o7ioQmp.jpg]

[Image: ab661f6c174561c932e5dae68878b878.jpg]

[Image: 35e70aac7c504f7eb46e6e783c1f6173.jpg]

Hollywoodian

The Hollywoodian beard style is similar to a short boxed beard only that the beard disconnects from the sideburns and the facial hair at the jawline is longer (although trimmed and, for best aesthetics, also well groomed with a trimmer).

[Image: f461bd9c8d3c11e3aa7612f19fca3f6f_8.jpg]

[Image: b9cf3a42faf211e291ae22000ae9112d_7.jpg]

[Image: 99139a90f16b11e2b2d322000a1fb8fa_7.jpg]

Designer beard

A designer beard is a full beard made of stubble (i.e. hair that is very short, 1 to 2 days long). The designer beard look is very trendy and is very easy to keep and maintain with a bard trimmer like the one you got or with this other one from Remington. In fact, the popularity of designer beards is what has greatly pushed sales of beard trimmers in the last decade!

[Image: george_michael2.jpg]

Rap Industry Standard

The Rap Industry Standard beard style is a very thin mustache connecting as pipes down to the chin (like in the Horseshoe mustache) and thus forming a square. It's actually similar to a Van Dyke facial hair style (see further down in this post for the Van Dyke) only that in the Rap Industry Standard, the lines of hair are much thinner and detailed. Furthermore, in the Rap Industry Standard, one may also include a thin stripe of hair across the jawline connecting the sideburns with the chin (i.e. so you end up with a chin curtain too).

As the name suggests, the Rap Industry Standard is a style that was popularized by rappers and hip hop musicians in the 1990s. Craig David and comedian Ali G (first picture below) popularized the Rap Industry Standard in the United Kingdom (even though the actual facial style was part of the comic appearance of the Ali G character Big Grin).

[Image: AliG_1417588i.jpg]

[Image: sN8BdUm.jpg]

Old Dutch

The Old Dutch beard style is meant to be old-school and more of a masculine lumberjack-type facial hair style than a modern beard style. However, I have seen in the fashion industry men wear this type of beard, and you can make it look good if you keep it well groomed and with a good hairstyle. Just posting it in case you want to get creative with your styling.

[Image: ojWYBnR.jpg]

Chin curtain

The Chin Curtain is similar to the Old Dutch in that it runs across the edge of the jawline and meets at the chin. However the Chin Curtain is very short and thin (as opposed to the Old Dutch style), and it usually has no chin puff, soul patch or mustache (i.e. no hair above the upper lip or below the lower lip).

[Image: 737c697e8fd611e3b0c612c8413ba65c_8.jpg]

[Image: 36f73b8c6c5411e3a46812e95f55900b_8.jpg]

Klingon

The Klingon beard style is like a short boxed beard but without the mustache. If groomed properly, the Klingon can be a cool facial style to complement a trendy mens hairstyle.

[Image: jgPnuAf.jpg]

Van Dyke

The Van Dyke style is more of a facial hair style than a beard style. However, the Van Dyke style is a popular and trendy look for men which involves a goatee, soul patch and mustache as an all-in-one style (with all the 3 facial hair sections inter-connected). The rest of the face is shaved in the Van Dyke.

[Image: zgMgtpE.jpg]

Feel free to ask more! Smile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Wow thanks for that TMHF. I was only expecting a couple of lines with names of the styles but you went the whole nine yards Big Grin so thanks for the guide!!
I really like the short boxed beard and is one I am going to give it a try since I have the beard trimmer. It does its job real good still but I got bored of simply trimming my beard in full and now I am looking to get some designs going on or to at least shape the beard. The short boxed style looks really trendy and I have seen it here a lot in my city with younger guys too.

Guess it is time to get the razor out Smile
Thanks again!
04-10-2014, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2014 05:17 PM by Bradley.)
Well I sure do agree with the suggestions of beard styles by TMHF above. Also I think it is important to really concentrate on the fact that a beard is half of the style of your head. The other half is the hair on the top of your head and both hair forms need to be matching to really make it a full desirable look.
I know you pay attention to your hairstyling but for others who do not, then they should be looking at the whole package: hairstyle AND beard. Does not mean it should be 100% aesthetic but there should some flow between them.
04-11-2014, 03:44 AM
Honestly I don't think that Van Dyke, Klingon, Chin Curtain and Old Dutch are really trendy beards Big Grin. Also Rap Industry Standard is more suitable for black guys.
04-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Chinstraps, are really common from where I am from, so are designer beards
05-02-2014, 02:42 PM
(04-05-2014 12:39 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Stevens, you're correct, there are more men wearing beards and matching them to their hairstyles. For what is worth, we do have in the hairstyles section a guide on the best hairstyles for beards with lots of pictures of men wearing cool and trendy hairstyles and beard style (worth the check for some inspiration!).

I will list below the main beard styles that I regard as trendy as of today. There are a few other beard and facia hair styles, but they are either archaic or not relevant for a modern male look, although since 2012, we are experiencing in the male fashion industry a revival of old-school styles, including those for facial hair.

Full beard

A full beard is always trendy no matter what. However, scruffy beards are certainly "out" and well-groomed full beards are the name of the game. A good beard trimmer is absolutely necessary to wear a neat full beard that enhances your style, and I remember your case where you are loving the Philips Norelco with the vacuum (pretty neat trimmer for any beard styling).

[Image: tumblr_m5xptphEQE1r8y5ma.jpg]

[Image: a31c1d1ee50d3f225d02df7b8b8648e9.jpg]

Short boxed beard

A short boxed beard is a well groomed full beard that is also shaped lower across the sides of the face. The shaping of the bearded hair across the sides of the face is done with a safety razor and the trimming with a beard trimmer. The facial hair is left longer than that of stubble, but not longer than half an inch as otherwise the facial hair gets too shaggy (the point of the Short boxed beard is to keep the whole look neat and sharp).

[Image: o7ioQmp.jpg]

[Image: ab661f6c174561c932e5dae68878b878.jpg]

[Image: 35e70aac7c504f7eb46e6e783c1f6173.jpg]

Full beard and short boxed beard looks the best are are very trendy now with hipsters. You cannot walk in any city like London, New York or San Francisco without spotting a hipster out of every 10 people you see lol not kidding!

The hipster look nowadays includes a beard and the side parted hair with pomade. It's so predictable. Before guys would wear beards to distinguish themselves from the rest of men but because of the hipsters you now can't wear a beard without being associated with them. Mind you and despite hipsters, full beards and short boxed beards are trendy styles, and have been for a couple of years among the younger to middle aged crowd, and excluding hipsters too.
06-21-2014, 08:14 AM
How do you get the first beardstyle, that one is the best. Explain every step, like you are talking to an idiot. I want to try it out.
07-08-2014, 09:52 AM
That's some neat info!
Now, I am tempted to grow a full beard... Damn it!
03-21-2015, 10:49 AM
You can't have a trendy beards thread without the hipster beard! Big Grin It's a longer version of the short boxed beard style, although many guys don't care about shaping the sides and go with the full shaggy hipster beard style. Both styles have already been mentioned in this thread but what the heck, I think we all agree that the facial hair type grown by hipsters deserves its own post in this thread! Big Grin

Hipster beard pictures to follow.

[Image: 75bbcbc438f5473f9558a3ceece84760.jpg]

[Image: 3802bcc9b341acb9118df24b0cc9b0d9.jpg]

[Image: ec02dd2643da8b3aafc6aa368944c4b2.jpg]

[Image: 3a6bdf5334b076706edaedd7d3a2ce13.jpg]

[Image: 85c1d37c7618c9a1f6b0920c726ac345.jpg]

[Image: 4360429793f5dc0f548b4e9c3e8cabb4.jpg]

[Image: 3c9bef9920c8b0ff9a77cb0ac75b1d9f.jpg]

[Image: 256301bbc32e36e302204d159610a9f5.jpg]

[Image: 58981e0ca1f40ef7a10e5bd279b0142a.jpg]

[Image: b41d75e331189efee167e59c1ada04ff.jpg]

[Image: 16851e8f5879691b215cefc130a474c4.jpg]
09-22-2015, 09:08 AM
Pictures of hipster beard styles for redhead men.
Agreed on the full beard style. It goes by the name of a hipster beard or a lumbersexual beard. The lumbersexual beard name comes from the trend of letting one's facial hair grow long and shaggy. It started with the hipster male trend and is the exact opposite of the metrosexual trend of the mid-2000s.

I saw the redhead men's hairstyles discussion so I'm going to post below some full beard styles with red facial hair. Given how rare red hair in men is, why not then post some full facial hair styles for red-haired beards for some inspiring styles.

The minimum beard length for the hipster beard or lumbersexual beard is one inch at the shortest point within the beard area, excluding the mustache area. Even though some oldschool barbers like myself would argue that one should learn how to eat with a mustache and not resort to trimming it and making it the weakest "link" within the full beard style.

[Image: tumblr_nlogvefLLq1rcbamao1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nksu4xV4v61qgvhavo1_400.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_md2piec9Gk1r8dvcuo1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nu4qroBpjx1s3k6k0o1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nt60p7Klix1s3k6k0o1_500.jpg]
09-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Photo RE: What are some trendy beard styles? recommendations please
A great style lately that I think looks good is a tight full beard. Its a little more pronounced than the 5 o'clock shadow look but still clean and tight. You're going to need a good beard trimmer for this one. Sorry, can't attach image.
10-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Love the redheaded guy above! you don't seem to see many full-on redheads with good beards much.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fu Manchu and horseshoe moustache styles. The Difference? Bradley 8 11,304 09-14-2016 04:19 PM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  How to get a permanent stubble beard style? Machado 3 15,444 07-19-2016 07:59 AM
Last Post: beardlover
  Hipster Beard - How To Style, Tips, Pictures, Products and More TheMensHairForum 5 56,045 02-04-2016 01:10 PM
Last Post: Ubermensch
Thumbs Up Grooming Tips for a Great Beard or Facial Hair Style Sunset 5 5,221 11-03-2015 09:04 PM
Last Post: KieraAdamson