Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are some good jobs for men with dreadlocks?
11-18-2014, 09:43 AM
What are some good jobs for men with dreadlocks?
Here is what I think is a useful but hilarious list of jobs for men with dreadlocks. It would be great what some of you think are good jobs for dreadlock men.

Actually there is this thread of dreadlocks and interviews in the forum that got some guys talking about this particular hairstyle. I would not just limit the advice on that thread and the list of jobs below to just dreadlocks. I would apply it to any natural hair style that men wear. Not to mention the poor curly guys who seem to be stuck on very short curly hair for the corporate world (not that we curly girls have it any better).

What would suggest as other suitable jobs for men with dreadlocks? This is the post but post comments if you have any ideas Smile

Introduction:

Nowadays, dreadlocks are seen as a more acceptable hairstyle. As people start to realize that not all dreadlocks are dirty, messy, twisted hair in knots, but it is actually a lifestyle for those who choose to wear their hair in dreads. More and more people are being seen in television commercials and in major motion pictures that have dreadlocks, and even members of some popular bands sport the alternative hairdo.

However, the dreadlock fashion is not quite mainstream just yet - and as a result, many of those who have dreadlocks find it difficult to land a job. But there are options for those who are trying to get into the workforce, besides working at your local gas station or convenience store. You just have to look in the right places.

Farmhand / Ranch Hand:

If you live near a rural community, you may try seeking employment at some of the local farms or ranches. Because the work is often quite dirty, appearance doesn't matter - it's your performance that counts here. The pay and the hours may not be ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Stagehand:

For those of you dreadlocked individuals who live near an arena, stadium or performance theatre, you may try getting a job as a stagehand. Because you won't be working with the public very much, if at all, appearance doesn't usually matter at these places, either. And who knows where this may lead - there are plenty of great employment opportunities in sound production or stage design; you may even land that acting job that you've always dreamed of!

T-Shirt / Novelty Store:

Cities all over the country have specialty t-shirt, gift, and novelty stores - and many times they are more than willing to hire individuals who have dreadlocks. Because many of these stores often carry items that may be considered odd or counterculture, they are usually quite open-minded when it comes to their employees.

The Computer Industry:

If you are computer or technologically savvy, there are many options in this field for people with dreadlocks. Again, appearance comes in the computer industry to performance - as long as you can display your knowledge, and you have the appropriate degrees, you shouldn't have any major problems landing a job in any area of computers or technology.

There are many other options out there, too - you just may have to expand your horizons, and you may be forced to take some less than ideal jobs in order to get started. But once you are able to build a solid resume, you can begin seeking that exact job that you've always wanted; despite your dreadlocks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2014, 10:18 AM
RE: What are some good jobs for men with dreadlocks?
I work in a hospital and there are a few black guys with dreads. Two I know of for sure work in housekeeping, the other is a doctor in the ER.
11-18-2014, 11:48 AM
(11-18-2014 10:18 AM)Unshorn Wrote:  I work in a hospital and there are a few black guys with dreads. Two I know of for sure work in housekeeping, the other is a doctor in the ER.

Doctor in ER? that's a first one I hear. Am I right to assume he keeps his dreadlocks tied up during work?

I don't know... imagine going to the hospital for an emergency and being assigned a doctor with dreadlocks. What's the first thing that would pass by one's head? Lots of male clients at our salons choose to wear eccentric hairstyles and they are all professionals from doctors to lawyers so to me this scenario would be ok.

You'd have to be at a big city hospital to be able to get away with wearing dreadlocks as an emergency doctor. Or that is what I would think Undecided
11-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Yes, it's a pretty large hospital. He doesn't wear them up and I've never heard anyone make a statement of concern about them. I use to work in a smaller hospital nearby and there was another doc with dreads there too that wore them down.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Snoop Dogg dreadlocks hairstyle pictures aka Snoop Lion Freddie 2 5,723 08-03-2015 05:54 AM
Last Post: BillyTheMan
  Dreadlocks and Locks for Men - Epic Pictures Jurgen 27 88,275 11-18-2014 03:06 PM
Last Post: Sunset
  How to get dreadlocks?? or how to start locking at least? AfroJay 3 2,282 11-18-2014 02:57 PM
Last Post: Sunset
  About dreadlocks and straight hair. Ok with job interviews? Stevens 5 4,059 11-18-2014 11:44 AM
Last Post: ElenaTheBarber