Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are my options now my hair loss is becoming so noticeable?
11-10-2015, 11:09 AM
What are my options now my hair loss is becoming so noticeable?
Hi guys, been putting off coming onto a forum for this but wanted to get some advice from those in the know before taking drastic measures. So I am twenty five years old and I have always had very fine thin hair but lots of it. When I was young and well into my late teens I had a full head of hair. But because of family experiences, I always knew this would come at some point. I have the double problem of not only a receding hairline but also a bald patch at the back of my head on the crown. My dad who has had this very same problem for years as well tells me to just stop worrying about it because it is inevitable and I should just make the best of it, find a style that suits me and not worry what people think. But it is easy for a 50 year old man to say that who met his wife with a full head of hair and is now long married with grown up kids. I am single and young and it makes me very self concious, and it knocks all of my confidence away when I try to meet girls etc. I am strongly considering taking all of my hair down to a very short length either a number 2 or a number 3 all over. Possibly number 3 on top and 2 on sides. But I can't picture what it would look like and whether or not I would look even more stupid with the crown of my head being bare and if I would be revealing the receding hairline to everyone which would be a big confidence knock. The idea behind going short would be to connect it to a facial beard (short stubble beard) and hide the fact that I am going bald in that way, by having a new look basically. But I am worried that this may emphasise both the receding and crown balding even more. Has anyone got any advice for me here? I am willing to look into a consider trying anything including hairstyles, but I want to avoid going completely bald for as long as I possibly can. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2016, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 10:38 PM by kb523.)
RE: What are my options now my hair loss is becoming so noticeable?
Hey man, unfortunately I don't have much advice for you, because I'm in pretty much the same situation. I'll be 25 in a few weeks and I have a very noticeable receded hairline, although little loss on top (yet!). I am embarrassed by it, but it's gotten so obvious that it looks far worse to wear it long and hope that no one notices. I wear it pretty short these days, although I'm still trying to figure out how to style it. I tend to brush hair over the hairline, to make it less noticeable, but this is not a permanent solution and is starting to look worse...

I took finasteride for a while, and it worked very well. However I started feeling *seriously* depressed, in a way I've never felt before, and taking several weeks off and then back on the fin confirmed my suspicions that the drug was to blame. Not worth feeling hopeless and miserable just to save some hairs. I am planning on buying vitamins (Vitamin A, C, E, Biotin, Fish Oil, Iodine, Zinc), and just working towards accepting myself. One thing that's easy to say, but hard to practice: confidence really IS key. Yeah, baldness isn't the most attractive, especially on young guys. But if you accept yourself and don't try to hide it, people really won't care.. There are so many women that can look past a lack of hair, especially when WE are able to look past it. Really just try to take care of yourself in terms of nutrition/exercise and mental health. I know that when I'm older and have learned to embrace my (future) baldness, I will not even think about it or worry about what others are thinking.

I know that is probably not the response you are looking for (my mom has said stuff similar to what your dad said). MPB at our age is a big source of anxiety for anyone, and I still stress about it on a daily basis. But we just gotta remember that the more we work on accepting it, the less of a problem it will become. Just think: the problem isn't that you're losing your hair, it's that you're worrying about it. I remember this quote I read, something along the lines of, "there is far more felicity on the far side of baldness than a young man can possibly imagine." Just really strive for self-acceptance. Ladies like a man who's comfortable in his own skin.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is this hair loss? AwesomeHair 0 449 09-11-2016 05:31 AM
Last Post: AwesomeHair
  Has my topknot caused hair loss? -KANE- 0 398 08-18-2016 11:14 AM
Last Post: -KANE-
  Natural alternative solutions for treating hair loss alexdeen75 1 477 07-23-2016 11:29 PM
Last Post: Reborn Hair PPP
  Hair Loss Products for Men OTC TheMensHairForum 35 28,001 05-18-2016 03:16 PM
Last Post: williadl