Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wet shaving and cutting yourself with razor
12-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Wet shaving and cutting yourself with razor
I have seriously cut myself shaving a few times, mostly when I was in a hurry in the morning to leave my house and rushed thru my shaving Big Grin safety cartridge razors are the most logical wet shaving option for me but I will still get a couple of small cuts here and there because I have a sharp chin and jaw so shaving the bony edges is not always smooth.

Question for you, do you cut yourself often with wet shaving?
What type of razor do you use when you cut yourself?
Any tips for wet shaving and avoiding getting cut?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2013, 08:39 PM
RE: Wet shaving and cutting yourself with razor
IME the way to avoid cuts when shaving is to use plenty of shaving cream or soap so its a thick layer coating the facial hair. It creates a form of a 'cushion' for any scratches with the razor, the only problem is seeing where the facial hair is but if you know how your beard and moustache grows then this isnt much of a problem.
12-17-2013, 07:13 PM
I am lucky i guess in that i dont cut myself much but then i am a bit chubby so got lots of chubbiness to soften my face and avoid those nicks and cuts LoL
01-02-2014, 10:43 PM
I don't cut myself often, but I have this scar which has still not healed from over a year ago where I took a large chunk of skin out because I was shaving in a hurry Sad
01-06-2014, 11:15 AM
I do get a few cuts if is rush it especially around the chin so usually i will just have a goatee to avoid too much shaving the chin.
03-25-2014, 02:24 PM
I used to tend to get cuts when shaving but I guess less cuts just comes with more experience. I just soak my face with hot water (maybe while in the shower) and put hot water on the razor and shave and I haven't been cut in a few months.
03-25-2014, 05:03 PM
(03-25-2014 02:24 PM)JDeee Wrote:  I used to tend to get cuts when shaving but I guess less cuts just comes with more experience. I just soak my face with hot water (maybe while in the shower) and put hot water on the razor and shave and I haven't been cut in a few months.

James, I replied to your other post on you not using shaving cream yet to shave. My advice is to just use the soap bar or lotion/cream that you have in the bathroom to wash your hands. That plus the hot water will be a decent alternative to using shaving cream and certainly better than not preparing the skin other than with hot water.

Since you are still young and your beard has plenty to mature still, you can get away with my above trick although, in a couple of years and once your beard matures, the trick won't work that well, especially if you end up with a very dense beard!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-03-2014, 01:43 PM
I often cut myself when shaving and I don't know how to resolve it. I use a lot of shaving cream but I'm experiencing irritation and cuts especially on the lower front part of the neck, in that zone the skin is very sensible. I think this happens 'cause I shave upward, however if I don't do it the shave is not regular (the beard is longer on that zone). Any solution?
04-03-2014, 03:38 PM
(04-03-2014 01:43 PM)claesson Wrote:  I often cut myself when shaving and I don't know how to resolve it. I use a lot of shaving cream but I'm experiencing irritation and cuts especially on the lower front part of the neck, in that zone the skin is very sensible. I think this happens 'cause I shave upward, however if I don't do it the shave is not regular (the beard is longer on that zone). Any solution?

Getting frequent cuts as well as skin irritation when shaving is common when using sub-standard shaving products, and by sub-standard I'm talking about the mass-market shaving products that can be bought for a couple of bucks and which most men use. A shaving upgrade is in due order if the cuts and skin irritation are bothering you, so I'll go ahead and talk about the 3 main products that involve an irritation-free and comfortable shave Smile

First of all, you need to prepare the skin with a high quality shaving cream. Are you using one of those generic or cheap shaving creams like the Gillette shaving cream? If so, that would be your problem.

A good shaving cream (i.e. premium cream) will lubricate and pre-condition the skin to take the friction of the razor sliding (too much uncontrolled friction leads to irritation), which is why, when it comes to shaving, you should try to go with premium products and not those that can be bought from a supermarket. While the actual hair strands that you are shaving off your facial hair are dead, the skin where the facial hair grows from is very much alive, and irritation from shaving is a very common occurrence with the use of those cheap mass-market shaving creams.

Since you are are having such an issue with irritation, I highly recommend this premium shaving cream which is excellent for pre-conditioning the skin and making the actual shaving a very smooth experience. By the way, you don't need a badger (i.e. brush) to use the recommended shaving cream, just put some of the cream in your fingertip and rub your fingertip through the facial skin you're about to shave in order to create lather and coat the facial skin (you may need a couple of fingertips, if at all).

Following from the above, another issue that leads to skin irritation and cuts is using cheap or generic razors (pretty much the same case as with shaving creams). You actually need a super-slicing safety razor so that a single shaving stroke is enough to closely slice (i.e. shave) the hair. For my money, and since I have recommended a shaving cream already, I'd certainly go with this safety razor here which uses platinum double-edged blades (these slice through the hair like you've never seen!).

Razors like the one I recommend above in the link are the kind of razors that, when you first use them, make you wonder why you didn't get to know about them years ago Big Grin It's a total different (and much better) shaving experience that greatly reduces and controls skin irritation and cuts because the shave is so smooth and close. If you can and/or if it fits your budget, I'd try to get either both the shaving cream and razor or at least one of the two. If you're going with the recommended razor, do also get this set of 50 extra blades that too are double edged and platinum made Smile

Last but not least, the icing on the cake would be a good moisturizing after shave. Most after shaves are choked with alcohol which may make you feel awake but which enhance any skin irritation. I'm actually amazed at some of the after shave rats companies have managed to convince men to buy, so avoid cheap aftershaves. In your case, an alcohol-free aftershave with oils to lubricate the skin and tame any irritation is the best aftershave product you could choose, and this particular aftershave fits the bill perfectly and is great for sensitive skin.

Hope that was of help to you and to other guys going through the nightmare of constant cuts and irritation from shaving. I am an a former sufferer and know how cuts and irritation can kill the start of your day, and I can tell that you using high quality male shaving products like the ones I have personally recommended above has made a huge difference (I changed to these products many years ago but it is never too late and you will be saving your skin from a lot of trauma Smile).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Wow your answer is very exhaustive, thank you! Perhaps I don't have money to buy all these stuff Big Grin so I think I'll buy the razor first, do you agree?
04-09-2014, 01:02 PM
(04-09-2014 12:08 PM)claesson Wrote:  Wow your answer is very exhaustive, thank you! Perhaps I don't have money to buy all these stuff Big Grin so I think I'll buy the razor first, do you agree?

Yes, start with the razor first, but don't forget to also buy the 50 extra blades I linked above too, that will last you a very long time and is very affordable. Those blades are made to slice the hair like it's paper, so with that alone, you are already minimizing any irritation from the friction of the blade.

Eventually, try to also get the sensitive skin premium shaving cream I also posted in my reply. No need to rush it, especially if it is a bit too much to buy in one go. However, for men who get irritation from shaving, the old-school way of wet shaving with a safety razor with platinum blades, a premium shaving cream, and an after shave with essential oils, will completely change the way you shave and it will become a experience that you look forward to because, not only will you not get any more irritation after shaving, you will actually enjoy the smooth slicing of the razor and the feeling of the creamy shaving cream Smile

This forum isn't just about (scalp) men's hair, it's about all male hair, so we certainly encourage members to talk about their shaving too, since we can get (and already have) some pretty useful discussions like the one in this thread!

P.S: Claesson, you already have enough posts to start a thread of your own, so, if you got some particular shaving questions outside of my replies in this thread, feel free to start a thread and we can give you feedback (even start your own journey thread in the male grooming section!).

07-09-2014, 01:43 PM
My razor got really pointy sides and if I don't pay attention when I shave my jaw I sometimes manage to cut myself really bad(if i tilt my head).
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Straight Razor Shaving Unshorn 14 3,894 10-07-2016 11:08 AM
Last Post: Joseph.davidson
  Wet shaving for acne prone, sensitive skin. PhoKingTasty 2 1,659 05-20-2016 06:49 AM
Last Post: TimothyClayton
  Can we use aftershave after shaving hair on head? Vladimir 6 9,416 12-18-2015 07:20 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c
  Organic shaving cream for men? Lordius 5 1,613 12-16-2015 09:50 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c