Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wet Shaving vs Electric Razors: Pros and Cons
12-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Wet Shaving vs Electric Razors: Pros and Cons
This is not the first time we talk about wet shaving and electric razors here at Men's Hair Forum, but let's talk about pros and cons of Wet Shaving vs Electric Razors in this thread.

Both shaving methods have their advantages and disadvantages, and some men will prefer wet shaving while others will prefer using an electric shaver to get done with the shaving fast. Others will rush through wet shaving, sacrificing a close shave fora faster shaving time.

What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of wet shaving and electric razors?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2013, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2013 04:50 PM by Barber.)
RE: Wet Shaving vs Electric Razors: Pros and Cons
Good topic mate, this how I see it:

Pros of wet shaving

- Close shave especially with a straight razor

Cons of wet shaving

- Takes time especially with a straight razor or if you are doing it the oldschool way of creating the lather yourself

Pros of electric razors

- No need to prepare the facial hair, just grab the electric razor and go

Cons of electric razors

- Depending on the electric razor you buy the result will be better or not. For a good electric razor you're looking at 150 pounds plus or 200 dollars plus. For example this electric razor is a very high end electric razor but the cost is moderately steep, tho that electric razor in particular is very well worth its price and it comes with a full unique kit. FWIW that electric razor in the link can cost double its price in a high street retailer, yet another good reason to buy your hair grooming products online.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
12-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Good points barber I too find I get the closest shave with razors but I have to go with the cartridge ones as my sharp facial features (I'm one ugly dog Big Grin) make it easy for me to get minor cuts.

(12-13-2013 04:49 PM)Barber Wrote:  Good topic mate, this how I see it:

Pros of wet shaving

- Close shave especially with a straight razor

Cons of wet shaving

- Takes time especially with a straight razor or if you are doing it the oldschool way of creating the lather yourself

Pros of electric razors

- No need to prepare the facial hair, just grab the electric razor and go

Cons of electric razors

- Depending on the electric razor you buy the result will be better or not. For a good electric razor you're looking at 150 pounds plus or 200 dollars plus. For example this electric razor is a very high end electric razor but the cost is moderately steep, tho that electric razor in particular is very well worth its price and it comes with a full unique kit. FWIW that electric razor in the link can cost double its price in a high street retailer, yet another good reason to buy your hair grooming products online.
01-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Agreed with every thing Barber quoted, its like 2 whole different experiences...wet shaving when you have plenty of time while electric shavers when you need convenience and are traveling and what not.
04-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Second what the barber quote, though I do feel as if Wet Shave will give you a more full on, more shaved feel if you catch my drift
04-26-2014, 07:57 AM
First I always sis wet shaving, in the end I got tired, now I use electric razors. I have one of 30 euros and thought it must be a good one, now I just saw a razor of 200 euros. Can someone explain me what the difference is, btw mine is adjustable (always doing 4.5 mm).
04-26-2014, 09:54 AM
(04-26-2014 07:57 AM)Jawad21 Wrote:  First I always sis wet shaving, in the end I got tired, now I use electric razors. I have one of 30 euros and thought it must be a good one, now I just saw a razor of 200 euros. Can someone explain me what the difference is, btw mine is adjustable (always doing 4.5 mm).

The difference between the more expensive electric razors and the cheaper razors usually falls under the following:
  • Product life: the more expensive electric razors, especially the ones that are of a super-high quality (like this Philips Norelco), are made of higher-quality materials which means that the product will have a longer life. While it is common for high quality electric razors (and for good hair clippers too) to last you years, a cheap electric razor will last you a couple of months to a year. And that's without taking into account the loss of performance that occurs from wear and tear.

A good electric razor (not to mention the excellent ones like the Philips Norelco Sensotouch 3D above) will give you the same shaving results after a year compared to the results it gave you when you first bought it. On the other hand, cheap electric razors will give you crappier and crappier results (shaving performance) as the months go by.
    |
  • Closeness of shaving: a good electric razor that is expensive will give you a super close shave all over the face, while a low quality electric razor will either not give you a very close shave or give you a bad shave in the sharp areas of the face (i.e. chin, jaw line, upper and lower lip).
    |
  • Tendency to pull hair: cheap electric razors will start pulling your hair more and more as the wear and tear becomes more frequent from using the razor (i.e. after a couple of months). There is nothing as annoying as having your facial hair pulled by an electric razor and avoiding that risk alone is worth paying more for a high quality razor. A high quality electric razor will slice the hair from all angles and with substantial wear and tear, which again goes back to the first point of the product's life.
    |
  • More options: high quality electric razors also come with more options such as a self cleaning device like the Philips Norelco in the link above or act as beard trimmers and facial hair clippers. It's the added functionality plus included options that can skyrocket the price of an already pricy electric razor.
There are other differences such as the more popular brands (which tend to be expensive) having to cover higher product expenses such as advertising, which they usually cushion with passing the cost onto the final price of the electric razor (instead of cutting down on its profit). However, for the most part, a more expensive electric razor from a serious brand will last you longer, give you a better shave and also slice (i.e. shave) the hair flawlessly without pulling it.

I assume by the price you mentioned that you are talking of the Philips Norelco Sensotouch 3D in the link above. That razor is the grand-daddy of these types of razors and Philips have actually done a good job in recreating their Norelco line (there are other items from Philips that I don't agree with, but their Norelco line is worth the price). That Philips Norelco Sensotouch 3D shaver in particular adapts really well to the face and comes with extras, so the price is a good one to go for.

There are other Philips Norelco electric razors that are of high quality and that have a lower price. The Philips Norelco PT730 Powertouch electric razor can be purchased for way less than 100 bucks, especially at Amazon where it can be purchased for a really low price (this Amazon distributor sells it at a great price and is the #1 bestseller of Amazon!). Unlike the Philips Norelco Sensotouch 3D above though, the Philips Norelco PT730 Powertouch is not water proof (which isn't much of an issue anyway).

Another good brand is Braun, for example, and their Braun 3Series 340S-4 electric razor is one heck of a razor as it can be shaved even when wet (added benefit, hence higher price). Even with its high quality, the Braun 3Series 340S-4 can be had for way less than 100 bucks too and THIS Amazon distributor also sells it for an excellent price.

As you can see, the price of an electric shaver need to be in the 3 digits, although if you pay for such a price, you are certain to be getting absolute quality and add-ons, as is the case of the Philips Norelco Sensotouch 3D. At a lower tier and still maintaining high quality, you have the Philips Norelco PT730 Powertouch and Braun Series 7 790cc electric razors that have a great price (especially from those distributors) and which will give you an excellent shave Smile.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-02-2014, 11:22 AM
I usually just use a good shaving cream with a disposable razor. Seems to do well for me.
07-11-2014, 08:08 PM
(12-13-2013 12:57 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  This is not the first time we talk about wet shaving and electric razors here at Men's Hair Forum, but let's talk about pros and cons of Wet Shaving vs Electric Razors in this thread.

Both shaving methods have their advantages and disadvantages, and some men will prefer wet shaving while others will prefer using an electric shaver to get done with the shaving fast. Others will rush through wet shaving, sacrificing a close shave fora faster shaving time.

What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of wet shaving and electric razors?

As a wetshaver for almost a year there is simply no contest. It is closer, more comfortable and a more enjoyable sensory experience.

I could maybe see advantages for electric shaving if you're in the military and don't have access to water or it may work out cheaper over the course of a lifetime using an electric vs constantly referencing blades and other software but even so still no contest in my mind
07-12-2014, 01:25 PM
A razor gives a much cleaner shave than an electric shaver.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best Shavers and Electric Razors for Men: 8 Top Shaver Reviews! A London Barber 1 122 10-27-2016 11:07 AM
Last Post: A London Barber
  Straight Razor Shaving Unshorn 14 3,931 10-07-2016 11:08 AM
Last Post: Joseph.davidson
  Wet shaving for acne prone, sensitive skin. PhoKingTasty 2 1,667 05-20-2016 06:49 AM
Last Post: TimothyClayton
  Can we use aftershave after shaving hair on head? Vladimir 6 9,503 12-18-2015 07:20 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c