Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Water Based Pomades vs Petroleum Based
11-03-2013, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 03:17 PM by SAMCRO.)
Water Based Pomades vs Petroleum Based
I hear that there are two diferent kinds of Pomades. How is one able to distinguish both products (does it say water bas in the description for example). And , what are the differences (e.g does it feel different?, and what does it do to the hair)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2013, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 12:03 PM by Jurgen.)
RE: Water Based Pomades vs Petroleum Based
Water based pomades are supposed to be less grease looking and easier to wash from petroleum based pomades (so the regular pomades).
I do notice a difference between the 2 types of pomades but I usually prefer regular petroleum based pomades as I prefer the wet "grease like" hairstyles like pompadours, side swepts Smile
Hair products will be labeled like "water pomade" "water soluble" "water based" "easy to clean" "water washed". If you like to use hair pomade a lot and you dont shampoo every day then water base pomades are a great choice.
I reviewed the Layrite Super Hold deluxe pomade and liked it much, it still had a good hold despite not being a grease pomade. And of course the Suavecito water pomade, real good one too Smile
11-07-2013, 01:03 PM
(11-04-2013 12:02 PM)Jurgen Wrote:  Water based pomades are supposed to be less grease looking and easier to wash from petroleum based pomades (so the regular pomades).
I do notice a difference between the 2 types of pomades but I usually prefer regular petroleum based pomades as I prefer the wet "grease like" hairstyles like pompadours, side swepts Smile
Hair products will be labeled like "water pomade" "water soluble" "water based" "easy to clean" "water washed". If you like to use hair pomade a lot and you dont shampoo every day then water base pomades are a great choice.
I reviewed the Layrite Super Hold deluxe pomade and liked it much, it still had a good hold despite not being a grease pomade. And of course the Suavecito water pomade, real good one too Smile

Cool thank you. Do you have any Petroleum based brands? Such a shame that the country I live in has no other pomade brand than Murray's
11-11-2013, 09:39 PM
What would be your personal recommendation for someone with about 5-6 inches of length looking to go all the way back on the top with a wet-ish look to it?
11-12-2013, 10:21 AM
(11-11-2013 09:39 PM)Superman Wrote:  What would be your personal recommendation for someone with about 5-6 inches of length looking to go all the way back on the top with a wet-ish look to it?

Try a water pomade first, then a conventional pomade. Water pomade tends to benefit more longish hair like yours.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
11-12-2013, 10:35 AM
(11-07-2013 01:03 PM)EmreYOrhan Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 12:02 PM)Jurgen Wrote:  Water based pomades are supposed to be less grease looking and easier to wash from petroleum based pomades (so the regular pomades).

Cool thank you. Do you have any Petroleum based brands? Such a shame that the country I live in has no other pomade brand than Murray's

Go with Malin + Goetz pomade, it's more a of a greaser pomade but not a yucky one like Murray's (Murray's pomade doesn't have a good reputation here as it is way too greasy which is why it's so cheap).

Just a side note, the Malin + Goetz pomade has cannabis sativa as an ingredient but this doesn't mean it's smokable! Big Grin

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
11-17-2013, 03:32 AM
(11-11-2013 09:39 PM)Superman Wrote:  What would be your personal recommendation for someone with about 5-6 inches of length looking to go all the way back on the top with a wet-ish look to it?

My hair is around 2-3 inches long so far, and I am using the Suavecito Original Hold like Jurgen, which is a water-based pomade, and Murray's Original Pomade which is petroleum-based.

The Suavecito has a really strong cologne smell, which is one thing I did not like about it. It also leaves my hair feeling gelled- very hard with pronounced lines, but still slightly moldable after drying. It is very sensitive to moisture, and will wash right out.

Murray's has been used since 1925, and the very first ingredient is petrolatum. It is very thick and sticky- it clogs my pores, and I find that I'm losing hairs more often now, but nothing too drastic. But the thing I love about this is its malleability, its endurance, and the smell. My best gf doesn't like the smell, she said it's too musky for her, but I personally think it smells like honey and vanilla. These are available at Target so you can just go and lift up the can to smell for yourself. And at $2 I thought why not give it a try?

Murray's is longer lasting and is easier to re-adjust, where Suavecito (original hold) wears out quickly especially in humid or moist environments. I've only used the original hold, however, so I can't speak for the stronger holds- maybe those will last as long as the Murray's!

Murray's is really, really hard to wash out. It takes shampooing or soap to get it out. Before I go to bed, I stick my head into the sink and rinse it for a good 30 secs or so with warm-hot water. It's still sticky at the end, but at least I feel like it unclogs my pores a little. I noticed hair falling out more often, because of the stickiness that has a passive "pull" when you're styling it, and if I look at the hairs usually they have that ball of white stuff at the end of it, which I assume is because they're clogged and dead. Tongue

It mostly depends on the type of hair you have and your habits. I personally have thin hair so I could use Suavecito, but I don't like the smell so I use Murray's much more often. I hear Murray's is more favorable to those with thicker, harder-to-manage hair.

Likewise, if anyone can recommend some sweeter smelling pomades to me, I would be grateful.
11-19-2013, 05:24 PM
(11-04-2013 12:02 PM)Jurgen Wrote:  I reviewed the Layrite Super Hold deluxe pomade and liked it much, it still had a good hold despite not being a grease pomade. And of course the Suavecito water pomade, real good one too Smile

yeh I tried the layrite pomade was some good stuff..not greasy for curly hair, my curls usually get super greasy with pomade, not with this one tho
01-13-2014, 05:26 AM
I can recommend American Crew Pomade for a good water-based one, leaves a nice shine and smells great.
01-14-2014, 10:16 AM
I have an acne problem sometimes, that's why I thought the water-based ones would be better than the others.
I have used it once only.
We'll see how it goes.
06-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Does anyone know what product would have been used in this photo?

It's tricky because I can't tell how much of a hold there is.

Thanks!

[Image: Annex%20-%20Peck,%20Gregory_NRFPT_01.jpg]
06-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Steamboat, that picture of the side part above is done with an oil-based pomade, for sure. In fact, I am 99.9% confident that it is this actual pomade because this is the pomade that men used in the 50s to 70s to create big side parts like the one in your picture (including same texture and shine) as well as for creating pompadours and other crafted mens hairstyles.

06-24-2014, 09:13 AM
Thanks a lot! I appreciate the feedback. I feel pretty "in the know" now after reading through this blog because I thought it was Black and White myself!

I have straight thick hair and have only used clay, gel, and styling cream, so Black and White will be my first pomade.

My only fear is that my wife doesn't like hair to be "too greasy" so I'll have to be careful once I get a jar of this stuff. From what I've read, Black and White is less greasy than Murray's.
06-24-2014, 09:38 AM
(06-24-2014 09:13 AM)steamboat808 Wrote:  Thanks a lot! I appreciate the feedback. I feel pretty "in the know" now after reading through this blog because I thought it was Black and White myself!

I have straight thick hair and have only used clay, gel, and styling cream, so Black and White will be my first pomade.

My only fear is that my wife doesn't like hair to be "too greasy" so I'll have to be careful once I get a jar of this stuff. From what I've read, Black and White is less greasy than Murray's.

Yeah that Black & White.
Murray's... we always recommend something a bit less greasy because you are correct, Murray's is too greasy. If you want the old school look then get the Black & White pomade. If you are still worried about hair getting too greasy, then get this Bees Knees pomade which TheMensHairForum also recommends as a substitute for petrolatum pomades - Black & White has petrolatum which is what can cause greasy issues, the Bees Knees pomade does not contain petrolatum as it is a premium pomade so less greasy troubles but a bit more expensive.

Get the Black & White as reliable oil pomade that will give you the same hairstyle in the picture but also consider the Bees Knees pomade to reduce any greasy risk. A little grease is not bad tho as that is how you get the sheen out of a hairstyle. Just that some women will complain if they pass their fingers thru your hair Big Grin - maybe another reason to date a woman who likes bikes? Big Grin
06-25-2014, 06:20 AM
+1 for the black and white pomade that was mentioned above. Best pomade to style pompadour hairstyles. If i had to go with a water soluble pomade then i would choose the layrite water pomade cos it has a higher shine.
08-04-2014, 10:32 PM
I have the murrays oil pomade, boy does is that thing hard to work with. Those styles I cant rock but it wont hurt to have it. Would a water based pomade make a difference in texture/look then a oil based?
08-05-2014, 02:03 AM
Do the Suavecito Firme Hold and the layrite mentioned here really have so much more hold than the American Crew pomade? That stuff is water based too and it refuses to give my wavy hair any hold at all.
08-05-2014, 12:45 PM
(08-05-2014 02:03 AM)Zerosliver Wrote:  Do the Suavecito Firme Hold and the layrite mentioned here really have so much more hold than the American Crew pomade? That stuff is water based too and it refuses to give my wavy hair any hold at all.

Yes, go with THIS Layrite pomade as it has a stronger hold than the American Crew pomade, that's for sure, and is thus suited for hairstyles that you have in mind for your wavy hair.

08-06-2014, 07:32 AM
(08-05-2014 12:45 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 02:03 AM)Zerosliver Wrote:  Do the Suavecito Firme Hold and the layrite mentioned here really have so much more hold than the American Crew pomade? That stuff is water based too and it refuses to give my wavy hair any hold at all.

Yes, go with THIS Layrite pomade as it has a stronger hold than the American Crew pomade, that's for sure, and is thus suited for hairstyles that you have in mind for your wavy hair.
Thanks for the reply mate. I've heard the suavecito is good if not better than the layrite, does anyone have some info on that?
08-06-2014, 09:00 AM
(08-06-2014 07:32 AM)Zerosliver Wrote:  Thanks for the reply mate. I've heard the suavecito is good if not better than the layrite, does anyone have some info on that?

Suavecito is a great pomade, but you should be looking at the finish that each provide so as to make your purchase decision once you know the quality of a pomade (both Suavecito and Layrite are high-quality pomades, no doubt about that).

For a high-shine pomade, go with Layrite.
For a low-shine pomade with a wet effect (your hair doesn't look dry), then get the Suavecito pomade (THIS one in the link). Smile

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best Pomades for the Slicked Back Hairstyle TheMensHairForum 2 39,301 01-06-2014 10:50 AM
Last Post: Jurgen