Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Vitamins for hair? for fast growth or strong hair? Expert opinions needed please
02-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Vitamins for hair? for fast growth or strong hair? Expert opinions needed please
Ok so my hairstyling is all good & I got most styling products so now I want to look at vitamins for hair. I just finished reading the chapter of the Mens Hair book on nutrition and there is a huge list of vitamins and minerals in the chapter so i would like to know the forums opinion on the ones for fast growth and for stronger hair and where to get them.
I already get some vitamins for health purposes & from online stores as the vitamins from mall stores *GNC etc* are way too expensive but then the ones from online are still not cheap enough.
I think this could be a good discussion to talk about the vitamins needed to have good hair. The nutrition chapter of the book is pretty detailed & I have started to make the diet changes from the book for better hair so know i want to move to the supplement part and specially the vitamins for strong hair & fast hair growth. I would love it if any of the forums experts can chime in or any other guys who have tried specific vitamins for hair.

Thanks guys
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2014, 01:57 PM
RE: Vitamins for hair? for fast growth or strong hair? Expert opinions needed please
Stevens, that's certainly a great topic to discuss! Certain vitamins are indeed essential for optimal hair growth and the speed of growth. As you have read in The Men's Hair Book, there are certain vitamins, minerals and nutrients that play an important role in the development of the follicle, shaft (structure of the hair) and quality o the hair as well as its growth. While the book covers all types of nutrients needed (vitamins, minerals, oils, protein), let's concentrate on your inquiry which has to do with vitamins for hair.

The vitamins that play a major role in the development of hair are vitamin A, B7, C and E, so it's in your interest to be taking in a sufficient amount of these every day, especially of B7 and C as they are water soluble.

Vitamin A:

This vitamin is involved in the quality and health of the skin including the hair follicles, making them supple and strong. You want to be taking an optimal amount of vitamin A to support the healthy growth of hair and optimal status of your hair follicles (the follicle is like the seed of the hair strand and from where the hair is produced!). Get this high quality vitamin A supplement to ensure you get your daily dose of this important vitamin.

Vitamin B7 aka biotin:

Biotin (B7) is involved in many of the body's metabolic reactions and its deficiency leads to hair loss, and biotin is also involved in the optimal growth of the hair inside the follicle. Biotin is water soluble so your body needs frequent doses for optimal reserves. Grab this high quality biotin supplement to ensure you're meeting your biotin needs.

Vitamin C:

This vitamin is an antioxidant and is essential for the health of body tissues, including hair. Vitamin C works even better as an antioxidant for the hair follicles when combined with rose hips too. Get this vitamin C supplement which is of high quality and comes with rose hips and the delivery of the vitamin is sustained throughout the day so you don't have to worry about any re-dosing throughout the day Smile

Vitamin E:

This vitamin is also an antioxidant and anti inflammatory so it helps a lot and even more so if you're going bald. The problem with vitamin E is that most supplements use the cheap version (dl-alpha tocopherol) instead of the natural version (d-alpha tocopherol) which is more potent. If you have the budget for it, get the natural version of vitamin E. This vitamin E supplement comes with the high-quality form of natural vitamin E, highly recommended.

It's important to mention that these vitamins should be added to your diet in reasonable quantities to only meet your daily needs. Rogelio in The Men's Hair Book specifically mentions that vitamins are no magic pills and that all you're doing by taking these vitamins is ensuring you hit the daily doses for optimal hair health. You may also experience a small benefit too when it comes to stronger hair or faster hair growth too, but do not think that vitamins for hair will make you grow a lion's mane, and I don't say this myself either, Rogelio says this and so do plenty of dermatology doctors and hair loss doctors! Anybody trying to sell you vitamins and promising super results is taking you for a fool and taking your money.

Zinc:

Lastly make sure you're also taking sufficient zinc which is usually a mineral that is lacking in optimal levels in men's diets. Zinc is one of the minerals Rogelio recommends for optimal strong hair in The Men's Hair Book and I have personally benefited from it too. Try to get an extra 15 milligrams daily combined with 1 milligram of copper, or more zinc (up to 60 milligrams while maintaining the 15:1 ratio between zinc and copper (so for 60 milligrams of zinc, you'd get 4 milligrams of copper).

This high quality zinc supplement will work great as it contains the precise formula ratio (zinc:copper) and it is also cheap, do bear in mind that with this zinc supplement you can select how many bottles you want and that, by default, it is set to 6 bottles, so change the # of bottles to how many you want, although get a couple so you don't have to re-order in a long time).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-08-2014, 01:54 PM
RE: Vitamins for hair? for fast growth or strong hair? Expert opinions needed please
Thanks much TMHF!!
I actually enjoy the way you guys treat this kinds of stuff in the forum because I read in other places all this underground bits and products that cause miracle regrowth etc which I assume is bs. I know vitamins are very important for health & I thank you for keeping it sensible with the advice & yes Rogelio says the same in the Mens Hair book and his opinion of this bs snake oil peddlers is the same as yours Big Grin
I am going to go ahead & buy all the products as the supplements have a good price & are great for general health anyways since I already used them in the past for fitness and health. Before I buy them is there anything else to consider that would be good to add in since I will be purchasing these in one go & I prefer to get them all bought and done in one go? so zinc is good to go too then?
Thanks again Cool
02-08-2014, 04:24 PM
(02-08-2014 01:54 PM)Stevens Wrote:  Thanks much TMHF!!
I actually enjoy the way you guys treat this kinds of stuff in the forum because I read in other places all this underground bits and products that cause miracle regrowth etc which I assume is bs. I know vitamins are very important for health & I thank you for keeping it sensible with the advice & yes Rogelio says the same in the Mens Hair book and his opinion of this bs snake oil peddlers is the same as yours Big Grin
I am going to go ahead & buy all the products as the supplements have a good price & are great for general health anyways since I already used them in the past for fitness and health. Before I buy them is there anything else to consider that would be good to add in since I will be purchasing these in one go & I prefer to get them all bought and done in one go? so zinc is good to go too then?
Thanks again Cool

Stevens, considering that you asked for vitamins specifically then the ones I listed will work great for your goal of strong and healthy hair and will, of course, aid in contributing to your daily nutrition and to better health.

As you will have read in The Men's Hair Book, there are other nutrients that too play an important role in the health of the hair follicle, in the "manufacturing" of strong and smooth hair in the follicle and in the optimal secretion of endogenous sebum to keep the hair strong and glossy (i.e. looking great). All these factors are very well explained in The Men's Hair Book and I think creating a new thread commenting the rest of nutrients other than vitamins would be a great idea and I will speak with other staff members about having a form of guide on this. However, let me give you some pointers based on the other nutrients that also work (other than the vitamins I recommended above) to also ensure that you have healthy hair and an optimal environment for the growth of strong, thick and glossy hair.

Zinc:

As explained in my previous post and per the dose mentioned. Buy the supplement in the link I posted as that one is cheap and of high quality. No need to break the abnk for such a mineral.

Iodine:

You can get this with iodized salt or if not with an iodine supplement such as kelp which is used worldwide as a great source of iodine. This kelp supplement is really good and has plenty of great reviews (and is cheap too!).

Fish oil:

Fish oil is very important for the optimal production of sebum and for keeping the skin and scalp subtle. Fish oil also has lots of health benefits apart from the hair ones, and it should be a staple supplement for men. Go with this fish oil supplement as it is distilled and it is triple strength so you have to take less softgels for a higher benefit!

Whey Protein:

Your hair is made of protein and men with a poor protein intake have brittle hair that breaks easily. Now, I am not saying that you should go all out and start gulping down protein shakes like a bodybuilder, but a high quality milk whey protein supplement is a great way to help you to get a rapid source of high quality healthy protein that is easily digested and goes great mixed in a glass of milk. I usually have a scoop of organic whey protein powder (recommended below) with some milk for breakfast, and it works great!

I use and I highly recommend this organic whey protein as it is an excellent source of whey protein (milk protein) and is USDA Organic certified and from grass-fed cows, which produce higher quality milk. Lots of folks who are into the whole life extension movement (trying to live longer through a higher quality diet and supplementation) love the organic whey protein supplement I have recommended above in the link.

There are some other supplements that can have some benefit for healthy hair growth too, but those are better discussed in another thread. The supplements recommended in this thread (vitamins and other nutrients) should be the staple of a great healthy diet and planned nutrition, and these supplements will work to ensure you have the most optimal nutrients to produce excellent-quality hair that looks great and feel great!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Man that is one hell of a guide haha

I also finished reading The Mens Hair book recently and wanted to buy some supplements that Rogelio covers in the book. I have not kept up with the times since I last bought supplements online so I am not sure which are the best places to buy vitamins. Had a look at the links at Amazon in Themenshairforums post above and those are some very good prices compared to other online retailers I took a look at when researching where to buy the vitamins and minerals in the book. not to mention offline but who buys these things offline anyway LOL

Looks like I will go with Amazon then. I'm actually looking forward to the fish oils ever since I read the experiment of Rogelio in the book. He really stands by fish oil and its good for other stuff anyway. Themenshairforum *mod* can I ask you, have you find more improvement in your hair and fish oil?
03-06-2014, 02:09 PM
(03-06-2014 11:23 AM)James Wrote:  Themenshairforum *mod* can I ask you, have you find more improvement in your hair and fish oil?

I have personally found fish oil to really make my hair look healthier. My hair has more of a natural shine and looks thicker (because of the sebum distribution aided by the fish oil as per Rogelio's sebum coating method in The Men's Hair Book). I really have found a noticeable difference and I agree with Rogelio in that nutrition (optimal that is) is essential for having great hair!

Do remember that Rogelio in the book mentions both cod liver oil and fish oil (cod liver oil is a "type" of fish oil). In fact, in the experiment he mentions, he found cod liver oil to be better than fish oil alone. This is because cod liver oil has big quantities of vitamin A naturally, and vitamin A is great for the scalp and essential for skin health (the scalp is also skin!). What Rogelio says in the book is that when he used fish oil, he found adding vitamin A gave just about the same results as cod liver oil.

All of this is from personal experience and opinions. There's plenty of anecdotal data showing the benefits of both cod liver oil and fish oil, and there's a lot of research data showing the benefits of both oils in preventing disease. Ultimately, and I cannot stress this enough, always ask your doctor before taking any supplements whatever they may be! Smile

03-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Ok guys so here is an update to how it is going after a little over a month. I ended up buying all the main supplements that Rogelio lists in The Mens Hair book. I bought them off amazon from the links recommended by TheMenshairforum in his posts above (thanks bro i owe you a beer!) and it came up to be a pretty decent price especially when compared to GNC and others. Since the supplements listed in the book are also great for a healthy body I dont mind spending some bucks on them instead of in junk food (which I love Big Grin)
The main positives I have experienced for close to 5 weeks following the protocol in the book...
  • my hair has a much healthier shine as in not greasy but just healthy shine. It just freaking looks better!!
  • my hair has grown faster. Not only I noticed this but my barber did too as I normally get a haircut every 6 weeks to keep the length but I had to go in by the start of the 3rd week to the barbershop and my barber asked me WTF have I been doing that my hair has grown so fast for what is the usual Big GrinBig Grin
  • my hair also looks much thicker but this could be because I am also following the full sebum coating method in the book & Rogelio has mentioned that the sebum coating method alone can make your hair look fuller.
  • hair flows much better & can style it easier. I think this is because of the sebuminized effect that Rogelio mentions that is achieved with the sebum coating method + the fish oil.
  • my mild case of dandruff seems to be gone without the need for a dandruff shampoo. I noticed this at the 3rd week as I run out of dandruff shampoo so I decided to wait until I buy more and see if there was any effect on the dandruff issue from the supplements and method. It has been almost 2 weeks of no shedding what so ever which is rare because as soon as it starts getting hot I get a dandruff break out.
A couple of things.
1) I have no doubts that the supplements have helped me a lot. However my diet is horrible and Rogelio mentions in the book that supplements and a good diet is not a magic 'cure' anyway which I prefer to believe instead of getting all hyped up about the results. I took the supplements & improved my diet with the food stuffs that Rogelio mentions in the nutrition chapter. Results are just short of 'unbelievable' but imo this has to do with my former poor diet & supplementation and now eating much better and smart thanks to the suggestions in the book. In a guy with a decent diet or already taking some of the supplements I am taking the results will probably be less pronounced but I guess the only one who can answer that fully is Rogelio himself. In any case I am a happy camper as everyone has noticed the positive changes!

2) I used fish oil + vitamin A which is what Rogelio suggest if not taking cod liver oil. I actually went to the doctor to tell him about what I was thinking of taking for supplements & my diet and the doctor told me it was all fine. However he mentioned that cause it is sunny and hot here already it is better to take fish oil instead of cod liver oil to avoid too much vitamin D. Btw Rogelio warns of this same issue in the nutrition chapter & hence his alternative suggestion in the book of fish oil + vitamin A instead of cod liver oil. He actually wrote in the book exactly the same that my doctor told me about choosing fish oil instead of cod liver oil in sunny locations so kudos to Rogelio for knowing his stuff about nutrition!

3) Like i say I went to the doctor first and this is something that Rogelio stresses in the book due to potential contraindications between fish oil & some medications even tho fish oil is super healthy and great to reduce the bad cholesterol! my doctor knows my diet is BS so he actually encouraged me to make those nutrition changes documented in the book. But my case is individual and you are always better asking your doctor first. For example I also bought the whey and have been taking a scoop in the morning which is only 20 grams of protein I think & this alone can help speed up the hair growth a little. But if you have a kidney disease & instead of one scoop of whey protein you take 20 scoops then obviously that is not very smart and simply consulting your doctor first would have been enough to avoid that.

4) I 'feel' healthier and with more energy. Sure this could be placebo as every one has noticed the positive changes in my hair so I know the supplementation is working. But considering that the supplements are general health supplements and not obscure supplements I think it would not be a far stretch to be also benefiting from the supplements & better diet on a more general level too. I seem to have more stabilized energy and also wake up easier so it is not like I am noticing and claiming huge changes in health Smile thoughts?
03-20-2014, 07:47 AM
Stevens, many thanks for updating the thread!

Many men are lacking in vitamins and minerals that are essential for good health and hair health. In fact you can be overweight (or even obese) and still be malnourished. For example, men need a daily intake of zinc and many men are not getting enough of it (especially vegans). Every time you nut (as in, have an orgasm) you lose some zinc which needs to be replenished (just as an example of how easy it is to lose it LOL).

Just by fueling your optimal daily needs of vitamins and minerals, you will get your body (as a machine) to work better. Everything is improved and that includes the health of your hair and how fast it grows. The changes can be quite dramatic although this will be based around how little nutrients you were getting with your former diet and any supplements (if any) you used.

However, just tp back up what you mentioned and for anyone reading this thread and thinking extra vitamins/minerals/nutrients are the holy grail, it is simply an optimal intake of these nutrients that makes you better at what you are genetically predetermined to have/be. If you hair growth is 2/5 inches every month but you were only getting 1/5 because of your bad diet, then getting the right amount of nutrients will have you maximize your 2/5 inches monthly hair-growth rate. It will not, however, push you to 3/5. The same goes for your natural hair thickness, density and hair-shaft strength.

Is it worth taking supplements to reach your optimal daily intake of nutrients? Absolutely. Is it going to give you the hair of Troy Polamalu if your hair naturally is like that of Nicholas Cage? Nope (but nothing will, either).

04-17-2014, 04:16 PM
I take fish oil everyday and am glad that I do after reading this. I take it for optimal heart health but my hair is benefiting.
04-17-2014, 04:48 PM
(04-17-2014 04:16 PM)Jesse Wrote:  I take fish oil everyday and am glad that I do after reading this. I take it for optimal heart health but my hair is benefiting.

Yes, fish oil is great for enhancing the gloss of the hair. Fish oil helps with the optimal secretion of your own sebum (secreted by the sebaceous glands attached to the hair follicles), and if you are using the Sebum Coating method in The Men's Hair Book, then you will really benefit from fish oil.

Another benefit of fish oil is that it helps decrease inflammation in the body, and hair loss is believed to be influenced to some extent via inflammation of the scalp/follicles. So, yep, not only is fish oil good for cardiovascular health but it is also great for hair health. I can't remember where I read this but Rogelio (author of The Men's Hair Book) mentions that he would also feed cod liver oil (a type of fish oil, which he also ingested) to his dogs when he was in Spain and that his dogs had really glossy fur too (fish oil/cod liver oil is given to dogs in some countries for the benefits of the oil in fur health and also in canine joint health!).

04-17-2014, 08:22 PM
What about olive oil?
04-18-2014, 11:26 AM
(04-17-2014 08:22 PM)herehair Wrote:  What about olive oil?

Yes, olive oil is awesome, but make sure that you're getting the "extra virgin" olive oil as only the extra virgin olive oil has the most amount of vitamins, including vitamin E which is an excellent vitamin for hair health, as we have discussed in this thread.

The olive oil that you will find in most supermarkets is either the regular refine olive oil or the virgin olive oil. The problem with these two versions of olive oil is that they don't contain the healthy amounts of vitamins and nutrients that pure (out of the mill aka "extra virgin") olive oil has. If you want to find extra virgin olive oil, you will very likely need to go to a wholefood supermarket or a specialty foods store. However, you can do it the easy way and simply order the extra virgin olive oil from Amazon, like many of us here in the forum do.

A great Amazon source of high-quality extra virgin olive oil which many of us use is this one here. The extra virgin olive oil sold in the linked Amazon page is an excellent premium oil that you can use on your food (e.g. salads) and for cooking as well as use it on your hair as a conditioner! I highly recommend that extra virgin olive oil in the link because it has the healthiest amount of hair-friendly vitamins and nutrients and you can use it on your food (and thus ingest all those vitamins and nutrients) or on your hair and benefit from the gloss-enhancing and moisturizing abilities of extra virgin olive oil Smile

04-19-2014, 11:20 AM
(04-18-2014 11:26 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 08:22 PM)herehair Wrote:  What about olive oil?

Yes, olive oil is awesome, but make sure that you're getting the "extra virgin" olive oil as only the extra virgin olive oil has the most amount of vitamins, including vitamin E which is an excellent vitamin for hair health, as we have discussed in this thread.

The olive oil that you will find in most supermarkets is either the regular refine olive oil or the virgin olive oil. The problem with these two versions of olive oil is that they don't contain the healthy amounts of vitamins and nutrients that pure (out of the mill aka "extra virgin") olive oil has. If you want to find extra virgin olive oil, you will very likely need to go to a wholefood supermarket or a specialty foods store. However, you can do it the easy way and simply order the extra virgin olive oil from Amazon, like many of us here in the forum do.

A great Amazon source of high-quality extra virgin olive oil which many of us use is this one here. The extra virgin olive oil sold in the linked Amazon page is an excellent premium oil that you can use on your food (e.g. salads) and for cooking as well as use it on your hair as a conditioner! I highly recommend that extra virgin olive oil in the link because it has the healthiest amount of hair-friendly vitamins and nutrients and you can use it on your food (and thus ingest all those vitamins and nutrients) or on your hair and benefit from the gloss-enhancing and moisturizing abilities of extra virgin olive oil Smile

Thanks, I regularly use but now my hair gets to oily.
04-21-2014, 11:58 AM
(04-19-2014 11:20 AM)herehair Wrote:  Thanks, I regularly use but now my hair gets to oily.

If you are talking about your hair getting oily from using the olive oil on your hair - not from ingesting it - then use a lot less. It may not look like it will be enough but it will be trust me on that as someone who has also used extra virgin olive oil & made huge messes Big Grin

Cut down on the amount you are using & you will slowly get to a point where your hair will not be greasy but glossy & soft.
04-21-2014, 02:21 PM
(04-21-2014 11:58 AM)Jurgen Wrote:  
(04-19-2014 11:20 AM)herehair Wrote:  Thanks, I regularly use but now my hair gets to oily.

If you are talking about your hair getting oily from using the olive oil on your hair - not from ingesting it - then use a lot less. It may not look like it will be enough but it will be trust me on that as someone who has also used extra virgin olive oil & made huge messes Big Grin

Cut down on the amount you are using & you will slowly get to a point where your hair will not be greasy but glossy & soft.

Thanks, I use put a little bit and spread it out, but I guess it's gonna have to be a lot less now
04-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Start with a few drops & spread them across your fingers & then finger style. This is a good method to use for products that are risky to get too greasy like with other kind of oils - good example is coconut oil, not so much coconut butter - plus stuff like petrolatum pomades, anything with mineral oil, heavy hair wax etc
04-21-2014, 04:16 PM
(04-21-2014 02:28 PM)Jurgen Wrote:  Start with a few drops & spread them across your fingers & then finger style. This is a good method to use for products that are risky to get too greasy like with other kind of oils - good example is coconut oil, not so much coconut butter - plus stuff like petrolatum pomades, anything with mineral oil, heavy hair wax etc
Thanks for that Jurgen, I actually gave up using but will now apply it, cheers man
05-15-2014, 07:04 AM
Very useful thread!

Would you say it is "necessary" to take supplements or is it enough to just eat right?
05-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks to those of you who recommended the links to buy from.
I had vitamins already from when i finished reading the men's hair book and went to the local supplement shop where I live.
I also noticed a big boost to my hair but unfortunately I am thinning so I am already doomed. Damn it ! but the vitamins and oils combinations from the men's hair book are really useful and I have no doubts in my mind have given me better results. Even people have commented on improvements !

It is amazing what simple vitamins and minerals and oils can do to your hair. You know I have always been wary of snake oil supplements because that rats is all over the hair loss market.
Those of you who are also thinning will know.
Then here comes this book and tells me that simply getting the right vitamins and nutrients is more than enough and actually works ! Compare that with all the rats products with made up chemical names that are all over the internet and pharmacies. The only thing that works really good for thinning hair aside from the vitamins and nutrients is the minoxidil. by the way minoxidil is one of the few hair loss products recommended in the men's hair book. The other two are finasterida and dutasteride.

Now I compare the prices I paid with the prices of the products in the links posted in this thread and I canNOT believe how much more expensive vitamins are in local vitamin stores !!
I was running of vitamins any way so screw the vitamins shop Big Grin I am not paying high street prices when the products in those links which are from Amazon are like a third of the price from the price at a supplement shop.
03-15-2015, 07:10 PM
Is there any benefit for taking these individual supplements over a multivitamin?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question Gatsby hair wax, any opinions of forum members? Lordius 12 48,825 05-01-2014 09:34 AM
Last Post: Lordius