Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using hair products when cycling with road bicycle?
02-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Using hair products when cycling with road bicycle?
The weather is getting better now so I am tempted to grab my road bicycle when the weather gets only a bit more better. Can I use hair products when cycling? i am asking because we ride in groups and we always get together in the weekend as a group for some chatting and laughs prior to hitting the pavement and my hair is naturally a mess without hair products.
I am not a pro just do this as a hobby and because i like riding so theres no need to go all hardcore on any opinions and i am guessing the least product used the better [or maybe not??] and of course I wear my full gear including cycling helmet. Currently using hair gel/pomade/wax so if any of you can shed some light on these products please.
Bit of a trivial question lol so thanks a bunch dudes!!
Oh and we do ride for hours and sweat buckets & sometimes visibility is impaired because of some hilly places we ride thru including fog and rain.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2014, 02:06 PM
RE: Using hair products when cycling with road bicycle?
Now that's an interesting question, Stevens! Considering that scalp hair is an important part of the structure of the head, this is the first question/thread we get on the forum with regards to helmets and sports.

Light use of "light" hair products will be fine; it is the heavier use and residue-leaving products that worries me for a couple of reasons. These are the main residue-leaving products you'd want to avoid in your case:
  • Hair wax
  • Pomade
  • Hair gel (in copious amounts)
  • Hair putty or similar (e.g. fiber, clay etc)
  • Hairstyling cream
  • Hair spray

Should be OK:
  • Light hair gel: used in small amounts (one to two fingertips, not any more!)
  • Hair mousse: the size of half a palm
  • Leave-in conditioner: half of what you'd use if you use leave-in conditioners.

Will be OK:
  • Shampoo: use your normal shampoo as you'd do normally in the morning (if you shower before leaving your house to meet the cycling group).
  • Regular conditioner: regular conditioner is used in the shower after the shampoo and is also rinsed.

Out of the 3 products you mentioned that you use (gel, pomade and wax), I would only use a minimal amount of gel. Also, it would be a good idea to use a regular conditioner in your morning shower that day as having "a mess of a hair" (as you describe it) is easily remedied by using a good regular conditioner (in case you or anyone else is wondering have a look at our recommended men's hair products thread for regular conditioners).

The reason for the "not OK" products to not be OK to use for a cycling day is that these aforementioned hair products tend to become goo-like when mixed with sweat which means that instead of dripping down your face as normal sweat would drip (from the scalp and forehead), the now runny hair product will stay stuck forming viscous lines on your forehead and brow, potentially getting in your eye and that will sting! (which can become very dangerous if cycling at high speeds)

Not only that but because the sweat is now mixed with the hair product as a viscous substance, the sweat will not drip away and down from your scalp, making it eve harder for you to get a good ventilation on your scalp and head as well as becoming very uncomfortable as you have to rub hard on the forehead to remove the viscous sweat, all while driving at a high speed or through a dangerous path. So yeah, don't use products on your cycling day, even if it means not looking your most handsome that day Big Grin

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks TMHF!!
It actually makes a lot of sense as thinking back i do remember getting those sticky lines of sweat that dont seem to be dripping down when I use too much hair gel of wax. I only noticed this when going to the gym but Ive yet to try products when going long rides.
Since joining the forum I managed to get the right hair products now perfect for my hair type & styles so obviously I wanted to use them when cycling but all you have sad makes a lot of sense & I do agree it can be dangerous especially when riding downhill & fast. Last thing I want is to fall of my bicycle and hit one of those darn guard rails posts. One guy in another cycling group hit fell of his bicycle during a descent ^ hit one of those posts, almost lost a leg.
Thanks again man. I will just use a conditioner like you said or just wear a baseball cap before riding & putting the helmet on if my hair is too much of a mess lol
02-19-2014, 12:12 PM
I also go for long rides in my bicycle - mostly off-road but sometimes also hit the road.
What TheMensHairForum posted is really good advice and I find the same if I use hair products it just gets too annoying once you start sweating, not worth it ime
Also ime, hair wax and pomade can cause the holes in the helmet to block too so you get less perspiration and heating relief. You want to have your hair without any semi solid stuff like waxes and pomades because then it just acts like a block for your head to be cooled and also sweat. So thats another problem and I know this problem very well + the problems TMHF mention in his post above.
So no, don't use hair products, its best solution and will avoid problems which like you acknowledge - and I acknowledge - can become dangerous on the road.
02-20-2014, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2014 01:09 PM by Alex.)
(02-17-2014 02:06 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Now that's an interesting question, Stevens! Considering that scalp hair is an important part of the structure of the head, this is the first question/thread we get on the forum with regards to helmets and sports.

Light use of "light" hair products will be fine; it is the heavier use and residue-leaving products that worries me for a couple of reasons. These are the main residue-leaving products you'd want to avoid in your case:
  • Hair wax
  • Pomade
  • Hair gel (in copious amounts)
  • Hair putty or similar (e.g. fiber, clay etc)
  • Hairstyling cream
  • Hair spray

Should be OK:
  • Light hair gel: used in small amounts (one to two fingertips, not any more!)
  • Hair mousse: the size of half a palm
  • Leave-in conditioner: half of what you'd use if you use leave-in conditioners.

Will be OK:
  • Shampoo: use your normal shampoo as you'd do normally in the morning (if you shower before leaving your house to meet the cycling group).
  • Regular conditioner: regular conditioner is used in the shower after the shampoo and is also rinsed.

Out of the 3 products you mentioned that you use (gel, pomade and wax), I would only use a minimal amount of gel. Also, it would be a good idea to use a regular conditioner in your morning shower that day as having "a mess of a hair" (as you describe it) is easily remedied by using a good regular conditioner (in case you or anyone else is wondering have a look at our recommended men's hair products thread for regular conditioners).

The reason for the "not OK" products to not be OK to use for a cycling day is that these aforementioned hair products tend to become goo-like when mixed with sweat which means that instead of dripping down your face as normal sweat would drip (from the scalp and forehead), the now runny hair product will stay stuck forming viscous lines on your forehead and brow, potentially getting in your eye and that will sting! (which can become very dangerous if cycling at high speeds)

Not only that but because the sweat is now mixed with the hair product as a viscous substance, the sweat will not drip away and down from your scalp, making it eve harder for you to get a good ventilation on your scalp and head as well as becoming very uncomfortable as you have to rub hard on the forehead to remove the viscous sweat, all while driving at a high speed or through a dangerous path. So yeah, don't use products on your cycling day, even if it means not looking your most handsome that day Big Grin

woah!

And here i was thinking i was going to look all fly and dapper this summer going for bike rides shirtless and finishing the route at whatever beach party is on that day. Serious tho i never experienced yet what is like sweating like crazy while having your hair styled with gel or wax so you probably saved my life as i really want to go for some long rides with my bike this summer and i have bought now a full bucket of products thanks to the advice of you guys in this forum Big Grin i usually throw in almost daily some road cycling sessions uphill and downhill and reduce my work load in the gym.
Will just then take my tub of pomade in the bag and casually sleek my godly tresses once i get to the beach lol
Another + thanks for the advice!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Looking for new products, requiring some advice (pics at the end) Magikarp_Approves 0 94 11-06-2016 04:05 PM
Last Post: Magikarp_Approves
  Mens Hair Products: Quick Useful 101 Guide The Hairstylist 2 331 10-26-2016 09:54 AM
Last Post: A London Barber
Smile Are there good products to dye your beard orange? Duaov 1 165 09-16-2016 04:55 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  If you could solve one problem with male hair products what would it be and why? TotalHairNoob 0 205 08-08-2016 07:40 AM
Last Post: TotalHairNoob