Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using 2 different hair products for hairstyles?
07-31-2015, 05:02 AM
Using 2 different hair products for hairstyles?

I have been wondering, is it fine to apply two hair products on my hair namely a hydrating styling cream and putty?

Thank you in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2015, 06:15 AM
Yes, you can use 2 hair products together, but it depends on what you want to get!
You can use 2 hair products or more at the same time to style your hair, the question is, why are you doing it?

A hairstyling cream provides a natural gloss with a low hold while a putty tends to do the opposite. Are you using the styling cream for its moisturizing properties?

The only real hair product that works really well when combined with other hairstyling products is a men's leave-in conditioner. A leave-in conditioner can act as the base of your hairstyling as the leave-in conditioner will only provide a natural gloss and moisturized body to the locks; it's as if you've instantly made your hair look better. Then, you can use some styling putty, styling hair wax, hair gel, pomade or any other hairstyling product to shape and style your hair.

In fact, leave-in conditioners fall under the category of hairstyling products (like pomades and hair waxes do), only that leave-in conditioners have no hold and are only for free-styled loose hairstyles, which is essentially the type of hold that you get with product-free damp hair. Thus, a second hairstyling product is used on top of the leave-in conditioner to provide the shaping and defining of the hairstyle. For the record, you should always use a leave-in conditioner first (coat your hair with it) and then use your second hairstyling product to shape the hairstyle.

If you're using the hairstyling cream for its moisturizing properties, then I recommend that you instead opt for a leave-in conditioner since the leave-in conditioner will not "react" with the hairstyling putty. If you don't own a leave-in conditioner just yet, then see this list of leave-in conditioners for men for some great leave-in conditioners that will suit every budget at hand (we recommend 4 different leave-in conditioners with different price points).

If you still insist on using the hairstyling cream with the hair putty, though, then first use the hairstyling cream and then us the hair putty.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to get better hair and hairstyles as a male - 5 easy tips The Hairstylist 0 129 10-03-2016 10:32 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  Johnny Marr and products? Blackmass 2 318 09-14-2016 04:57 PM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Products MrTJQuiffHair99 0 259 02-08-2016 04:27 PM
Last Post: MrTJQuiffHair99
  Quiff hairstyle and losing hair volume with same products GoodHair 4 1,417 09-19-2015 12:25 PM
Last Post: GoodHair