Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Use finasteride for hair thinning despite minoxidil good results? 5 1
Use finasteride for hair thinning despite minoxidil good results?
09-20-2018, 09:47 AM
Use finasteride for hair thinning despite minoxidil good results?
I'm on Rogaine and my hair thinning seems to have halted. Would it be a good idea to also go on finasteride? I'm a Norwood 3 with still a dense crown. I'm also using a thickening hair conditioner which helps. Over the last three months lots of people have commented positively on my hair and now that it is longer than a buzz cut, it looks fairly good since the longer length gives a fuller look.

I'm worried about finasteride's side effects, but I don't want any more hair thinning and I'm looking to wear handsome hairstyles while I still can. I'm a bit narcissist but I've gotten over that a long time ago now LOL

One more thing, is finasteride a lifelong hair loss treatment as with minoxidil? I'm 42 years old if it helps and already have children.

Cheers!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2018, 11:43 AM
RE: Use finasteride for hair thinning despite minoxidil good results?
Finasteride's side effects are a bit overblown. Most of the time, regular guys are fine. If you're worried about progressing to a Norwood IV and/or continuing to thin out, then you may want to seriously consider finasteride as you are. Finasteride plus minoxidil is a very common combination to treat balding and hair thinning in men.

If you can though, get a blood test measuring sex hormones before jumping on finasteride, just so you know your baseline prior to finasteride and in case you experience major side effects. Also, start on the lowest finasteride dose.

Yes, finasteride continues to work for as long as you take it. When you stop, you lose anything you've gained. Same for minoxidil.

Considering that you still have ample hair and your crown is still good, then your chances of getting good results from finasteride are quite high. Finasteride works best on the earlier Norwood stages, no so much when major baldness has occurred. Ditto for minoxidil.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone use Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Anti-Thinning shampoo? SirTarquin 0 285 04-23-2018 02:22 PM
Last Post: SirTarquin
  Is my whorl thinning? hugothebaws 0 374 02-20-2018 03:45 PM
Last Post: hugothebaws
  Feel like hair is thinning, what can I do? sfmorales22 0 598 09-30-2017 01:09 PM
Last Post: sfmorales22
  Thinning hair on top Mosny123 3 839 09-13-2017 02:21 AM
Last Post: pantherleon03