Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undercut hairstyle question, different types of undercuts?
08-29-2015, 07:17 PM
Undercut hairstyle question, different types of undercuts?
Wondering what type of Undercut hairstyle this is. By that I mean what would I explain to the person cutting my hair. Thanks.

[Image: XBEeOCc.png]
[Image: 86gT41W.png]
[Image: HE48UBY.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2015, 06:55 AM
RE: Undercut hairstyle question, different types of undercuts?
That is not an undercut hairstyle. That type of men's hairstyle in those pictures is called an Ivy League haircut. The hair on the front has a longer length compared to the hair on the back, while the sides and back of the head are tapered with a hair clipper.

Where are you from? In the United States we call that hairstyle an Ivy League hairstyle, and any good barber will know exactly how to cut the hair without any further instructions or even without having to look at the picture to see what you want. Other names for the Ivy League haircut include the Brown clip and the Harvard clip. The Ivy League haircut is also known as the Oxford haircut in the United Kingdom. The name may vary in other parts of the world.

If you tell your barber any of the names that I've mentioned above and he still has no idea of what type of haircut you're talking about, then tell him that you want two taper haircuts, one on the top of the head and one on the sides and back of the head. For reference see this discussion on the Ivy League haircut which has many more pictures of the Ivy League hairstyle. The discussion also includes plenty of advice on how to get an Ivy League cut.

For the top of the head, tell him that you want the front (forelock) with two inches of length while the vertex (crown or back of the top of the head) should be one inch long. You can have the forelock shorter if you want but the difference between the front of the head and the back of the top of the head must be one inch long. The hair on the top of the head is to be tapered and trimmed with scissors for the most part, that's how the Ivy League haircut is done.

For the sides and back of the head, all that you need is a regular taper haircut done with a hair clipper. Ask for a "short" taper haircut with hair clippers, that will do the job. If your barber isn't still aware of what you want then tell him that you want him to trim the sides and back of your head with a hair clipper only.

I am curious, who told you that this haircut was an undercut? I know that lots of websites get the names wrong and I have seen some serious mistakes that come from websites where those writing are not barbers. This topic has been discussed in this forum before as those kinds of websites are doing a disservice to men looking to get a good haircut.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 47 Yesterday 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Help regarding a haircut (undercut) zorrocat1 0 253 10-30-2016 05:26 AM
Last Post: zorrocat1
  Medium slickback hairstyle Gias98 0 276 10-20-2016 12:50 PM
Last Post: Gias98
  Help identify my hair for a new hairstyle gabriel777 2 306 10-18-2016 09:34 AM
Last Post: gabriel777