Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread 5 2
Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread
11-01-2013, 05:52 AM
RE: Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread
(11-01-2013 05:45 AM)jonx06 Wrote:  I don't really have a balding spot that you can notice straight away but because I know it's there it's all I see. It's not thining at the back its from around the middle of the top of my head straight down to the middle of the fringe but as I said its not that noticeable it just annoys me . I could put some pictures up to help show what it's like? Would it be ok to post them here or would I have to do it else where?

Mmm that's interesting Dodgy I'm happy to have a look as by your description, if it were male pattern baldness (the common form of hair loss for us men), then it could be diffuse patterned alopecia which is the rare for of male pattern baldness.

Please be patient, once you have enough posts you can post your own thread and post pictures. I'll keep an eye for you so I'll help you when I see your thread Wink

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Thanks I will do.
11-02-2013, 05:04 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2013 05:12 AM by HarryCanning.)
I see that this style requires the top to be uniform in length. At the moment I have about 3 1/2 inches at the front but only about 1 1/2 inches at the back of my head towards my scalp. Currently my hair is not long enough at the front to put back, it tends to stand up too much since it's too short.

My question is if the top and middle of the head grows enough, will it make any difference if the back is considerably shorter?

I can add pics in my next post if needed!

Edit: My styling product at the moment is American Crew forming cream if that makes a difference.
11-02-2013, 09:45 AM
(11-02-2013 05:04 AM)HarryCanning Wrote:  I see that this style requires the top to be uniform in length. At the moment I have about 3 1/2 inches at the front but only about 1 1/2 inches at the back of my head towards my scalp. Currently my hair is not long enough at the front to put back, it tends to stand up too much since it's too short.

My question is if the top and middle of the head grows enough, will it make any difference if the back is considerably shorter?

I can add pics in my next post if needed!

Edit: My styling product at the moment is American Crew forming cream if that makes a difference.

You don't necessarily need an even length on the top. In fact if you are looking to have your hair in a quiff (so the hair on the front sticks out) you can actually have the hair like you have it. However, I would wait until the back of your head is 2 inches at least before you get the haircut as 2 inches is really the very lowest hair length for a good undercut (more like 4-6 inches).

Don't worry about your hair growing longer and any asymmetries, mother nature has taken good care to ensure that hair on the top of the head grows at an even growth rate Smile (0.5 inches of hair growth per month is the average for men).

For men's hair products for the undercut, you usually want to have 2 hair product types: hair pomade, hair wax and/or hair gel. We have covered great sources and brands to choose in our best men's hair products thread, it's worth the check if you want to consider some new products like any of the 3 I mentioned earlier.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
11-10-2013, 05:36 AM
Hi all,

So I gave myself an undercut with the help from my wife. I think the end result is ok, but I have a question.

Due to previous haircuts, my hair length on top is not even. It's about 2 inches at the front and maybe a little over 1 inch at the back. I am looking to slick the hair back when it's long enough, do you think it will be a problem with the different lengths? Thanks
11-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Hello after so much time. I posted in this thread that I was thinking to get an undercut, but I didn't reply after that(for which I'm sorry to leave you hanging). This was through August, but I didn't get any haircut until today. I'm not 100% sure It's an undercut but still you wanted to keep you updated and here it comes Smile
[Image: 3QN6AjF.jpg]
[Image: foqAuKq.jpg]
[Image: arqi1SV.jpg]
[Image: mYRzo4f.jpg]
[Image: dkqU6Em.jpg]
Hope you liked it, I surely did Smile
11-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Hey Fros7y, looks very nice! Classic and the side part looks very good especially for your hair type (straight hair). Your haircut looks more like a variation of the Undercut as it looks like your barber did the bottom layer with a same high clipper guard, say a #4 or so (correct me if I'm wrong) then did a quick taper just before it that looks evry good.

Usually an Undercut is done with an even #1 or a #2 from the temples down but these are just guidelines, there's lots of variations to the Undercut and yours is an example.

Looks great overall buddy, great haircut and happy the forum was able to help you out and you got the right barber help!

11-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Very interesting thread, always been curious about the undercut Tongue
11-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the kind words, TheMensHairForum! The process behind the haircut was exactly like you explained it.
11-12-2013, 10:57 AM
(11-12-2013 10:29 AM)connorhassle123 Wrote:  Very interesting thread, always been curious about the undercut Tongue

I have read "hairstyle" websites that call the undercut a new hairstyle when they don't even know the undercut is as old as hair clippers as has been a trendy hairstyle for decades!

Unfortunately this is what happens when you have wannabe men's style writers doing the writing for garbage websites and men's magazines LOL It's one of the reasons why we originally founded this online community because the advice for men's hair in magazines and websites is either awful or downright stupid.

(11-12-2013 10:39 AM)Fros7y Wrote:  Thanks for the kind words, TheMensHairForum! The process behind the haircut was exactly like you explained it.

Totally! I have seen lots of hairstyles over the years and yours is a more businessman way to go about the Undercut as buzzing your sides and back of the head to a #2 is usually too much for a corporate job.

We have covered the Undercut variation similar to yours in Page 3 where we discussed Jake Gyllenhaal undercut hairstyle that has the same step structure as yours. It's a classier way to go about the Undercut Smile

This is Jake Gyllenhaal's Undercut variation:

[Image: t9hytv.jpg]

11-15-2013, 11:53 AM
How does the hairstyle look without any product in it? I wanted to avoid having to use too much hair product, and on those lazy days I don't want to look really strange. I'm strongly considering some variation of an undercut when my hair grows back out.
11-16-2013, 02:44 AM
(11-15-2013 11:53 AM)itsjasonhh Wrote:  How does the hairstyle look without any product in it? I wanted to avoid having to use too much hair product, and on those lazy days I don't want to look really strange. I'm strongly considering some variation of an undercut when my hair grows back out.
I guess it depends on your hair type by default Big Grin
Here are mine without currently applied hair gel(I used some around 24 hours ago) and after a sleep. Pretty much - me in the morning. You can see how I look with styled hair 3-4 posts before this one.
[Image: zsJ2mUg.jpg]
[Image: 63Hwnrw.jpg]
I should warn you that after a bath it looks kinda different because currently my hair still has some hair gel fixation(I'm not sure if that's the right way to say it).
11-16-2013, 06:30 AM
That actually doesn't look bad at all...looking at some of the other pictures posted though, I would think it would look really strange without any type of product.

Another question: Does Chandler Parsons have an undercut?
11-16-2013, 09:06 AM
I think it looks really stylish - a great choice. Professional, classy, great!
11-17-2013, 03:52 AM
(11-15-2013 11:53 AM)itsjasonhh Wrote:  How does the hairstyle look without any product in it? I wanted to avoid having to use too much hair product, and on those lazy days I don't want to look really strange. I'm strongly considering some variation of an undercut when my hair grows back out.

I took this in mid september, this was in the morning with no product- I did a slick back/side part with that length. Hope it helps!
[Image: CQT0kLg.jpg]

And here it is with Suavecito original one month later.
[Image: pliJ66g.jpg]

But I really want to get it the way Alonso Mateo does. Is there a particular product I can use to get that "wispy" look?
[Image: Q0fGliv.jpg]
11-17-2013, 04:52 AM
(11-17-2013 03:52 AM)nateysaur Wrote:  

I took this in mid september, this was in the morning with no product- I did a slick back/side part with that length. Hope it helps!
[Image: CQT0kLg.jpg]

And here it is with Suavecito original one month later.
[Image: pliJ66g.jpg]

But I really want to get it the way Alonso Mateo does. Is there a particular product I can use to get that "wispy" look?
[Image: Q0fGliv.jpg]

Looks good! Do you just ask your barber for an undercut?
11-17-2013, 08:40 PM
(11-17-2013 04:52 AM)itsjasonhh Wrote:  Looks good! Do you just ask your barber for an undercut?

I haven't asked for that before, I usually just say 1 on the sides and back, keep the top and front long, or I show them a picture of Alonso Tongue
11-22-2013, 12:06 PM
(11-16-2013 06:30 AM)itsjasonhh Wrote:  That actually doesn't look bad at all...looking at some of the other pictures posted though, I would think it would look really strange without any type of product.

I don't know the dude, but I'm assuming you're referring to the picture below? If so, then yes, Chandler Parsons has an Undercut. In fact, it's quite neat because he got a pseudo-Faux-Hawk hairstyle on the top done with a taper haircut, which kind of limits the hairstyle to a Faux Hawk or a Quiff; however, by doing such taper haircut, the triangle of the Faux Hawk looks really good.

[Image: 061313_rome_parsons_thumb_640x360_33388099710.jpg]

In this other picture of Chandler Parsons's hairstyle, he looks to have more of a hair clipper taper, which is different to an Undercut.

[Image: Chandler_Parsons_(6th_Molly).jpg]

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
11-24-2013, 05:12 AM
(11-22-2013 12:06 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  
(11-16-2013 06:30 AM)itsjasonhh Wrote:  That actually doesn't look bad at all...looking at some of the other pictures posted though, I would think it would look really strange without any type of product.

I don't know the dude, but I'm assuming you're referring to the picture below? If so, then yes, Chandler Parsons has an Undercut. In fact, it's quite neat because he got a pseudo-Faux-Hawk hairstyle on the top done with a taper haircut, which kind of limits the hairstyle to a Faux Hawk or a Quiff; however, by doing such taper haircut, the triangle of the Faux Hawk looks really good.

[Image: 061313_rome_parsons_thumb_640x360_33388099710.jpg]

In this other picture of Chandler Parsons's hairstyle, he looks to have more of a hair clipper taper, which is different to an Undercut.

[Image: Chandler_Parsons_(6th_Molly).jpg]

Yeah that's him. NBA basketball player for the Houston Rockets. How would that hairstyle look on straight hair? I'm assuming he has wavy hair.
11-24-2013, 12:20 PM
(11-24-2013 05:12 AM)itsjasonhh Wrote:  Yeah that's him. NBA basketball player for the Houston Rockets. How would that hairstyle look on straight hair? I'm assuming he has wavy hair.

Correct, Chandler Parsons has wavy hair. That hairstyle with straight hair would look very similar as straight hair is highly malleable (you can bend it when doing hairstyles).

If you have straight hair go with that hairstyle and get this hair wax.

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Man Bun - Epic Hairstyle Guide with Advice, Pictures, How to Style and Videos TheMensHairForum 36 461,796 12-05-2018 03:16 PM
Last Post: Ebony
  Best Hairstyles for Beards - Guide with Pictures and Advice TheMensHairForum 13 818,458 11-29-2018 11:23 AM
Last Post: Liza Jack
  Short Haircuts for Men - Guide with Pictures, Tips and Advice TheMensHairForum 24 606,955 12-05-2017 04:11 PM
Last Post: Frances80
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 17 33,437 07-19-2017 07:14 PM
Last Post: Robert.Brown