Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread
09-18-2013, 08:47 PM
RE: Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread
Hey,
I had a question. Now bare in mind i cut my own hair.
I am/have been doing a variation of this undercut for a while now but this is the first time in which i am really growing out the top sides of my hair. My question is, am i supposed to trim/even out the "top-sides"? I want to go for a disconnected look, very high in contrast.
[Image: nd0u1y.jpg]

(Top view)
Excuse the crudeness of the drawing, haha.
So basically i am not a professional so i just use a #2 all around the sides. Now, left with the top part of my head i let it grow up for a few months now giving it about 3 inches or more. The thing is, the sides are now growing out also and coming down into the contrasted short sided area. Going for a look where we have something like David Beckham or some variation of a disconnected undercut what should i do with the top sides? I want to grow out the front and be able to comb it back in a layered fashion (sort of board walk empire-ish). The top sides are a weird situation for me and im not sure how to tackle it. Now i style it where i push everything towards the center and keep it off the sides.

Also, the back portion is a bit confusing. I am not sure how far up i should go with the trimmer. I usually just wing it and it works out ok. It isn't the cleanest cut quality but it isn't too bad. Just trying to figure out a way to manage the top sides. My entire top side part of my head is one size. I tried taking pictures but i think a simplified drawing did more justice in explaining.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Superman, the Undercut is a very simple haircut, you just keep the sides and back clipped at the same length (guard), so do a #2 all through the back and sides. The line limiting the sides and back of your head with the top is the temples, so anything below temple level must be buzzed.

Rogelio from Manly Curls explains it very well in his military haircuts guide here http://www.manlycurls.com/2013/07/milita...les-guide/

What do you mean by Beckham's hairstyle? The only bowl cut I remember from Beckham was a High and Tight haircut although if you have a picture of him with an Undercut, then do feel free to post it! Smile

Have a read through Rogelio's guide but he says pretty much the same about the Undercut as this haircut is really simple, anything below the temples is buzzed so no fading, no real tapering, nothing.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
09-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Oh LOL Superman disregard what I have just said above, I didn't realize your drawings were showing the top of the head, not the back of the head like I initially understood and replied.

Then yes, a little tapering is done at the "sides of the top of the head", this is called the "perimeter", and it is placed at about temple level like I mentioned in my previous reply. You can either not do anything about the perimeter (regular Undercut) or get a little tapering done so that the Undercut neater. If you ant to choose a taper, be careful if you do it yourself as it is easy to screw up a taper if you're not used to doing them yourself.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
09-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Will keep it as it is and see how it goes.

Thanks again.
09-27-2013, 03:40 AM
I saw this great haircut of Jake Gyllenhaal in the movie Prisoners, I think it qualifies as an undercut. The tops are pretty long though, and it actually covers the upper back of the head because of it's length. The sides are in my opinion #4 and maybe even #5. The closer to the top, the higher the number. I want to know what other people think of the numbers on the side. I don't wan't the difference between the top and the sides to be too noticeable, like regular undercuts. so is it okay to start with a #4? here are some pictures of the haircut. I appreciate any comment. Thanks

[Image: v66rmc.jpg]

[Image: 1olwzr.jpg]

[Image: t9hytv.jpg]

[Image: snpgdj.jpg]
09-27-2013, 01:44 PM
I think you are looking for something like this ...

Correct me if I am wrong.
09-27-2013, 03:24 PM
(09-27-2013 01:44 PM)Superman Wrote:  I think you are looking for something like this ...

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks Superman, that's pretty close actually, maybe even spot onSmile. The thing is I don't live in the states, I am wondering how I could describe this cut in my own languageTongue
09-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Actually Jake Gyllenhaal's haircut there looks like a a very interesting Undercut. Usually an Undercut, the original one, is buzzed at the temples and down. Jake Gyllenhaal's Undercut is tapered to mid length and then buzzed, which is another variant of the Undercut. In effect, you end up with 3 layers of hair length for the Undercut, top/mid/bottom (bottom is the Undercut). You can see this is this picture of Jake Gyllenhaal's Undercut:

(09-27-2013 03:40 AM)EmreYOrhan Wrote:  [Image: t9hytv.jpg]

Usually for the Undercut, the length between the back/sides and top is noticeable as the goal of the Undercut is to keep an even buzzed length, from temple level and down, with hardly any smoothing of the edges between sides/back and top of the head.

If I read you right, you don't want this hair length difference between the top of the head and the sides/back of the head typical of an Undercut so it is best then that you don't get an Undercut and instead ask for a Businessman Cut, a Regulation Cut or a simple taper haircut ended with a hair clipper guard #2 at the hairline. That, or do the Undercut like Jake Gyllenhaal as I mentioned, tell your barber to taper a layer that runs in height from temple level to just above the ear, then buzz the rest (from above the ear level down to the hairline) with a guard #4, maybe a #5 depending on the hair length that has been tapered.

You can see a Regulation Cut in our military haircuts thread, and also see our businessman cut thread featuring Romain Dauriac (fiance of Scarlett Johansson).

09-27-2013, 03:30 PM
This is a picture of a businessman cut

[Image: who-is-romain-dauriac-meet-scarlett-joha...end-06.jpg]

This is a picture of a Regulation cut (a type of military haircut)

[Image: 917565abe23fa9db248e8b7649201338.jpg]

Click on the military haircuts and Romain Dauric threads as not only will you learn some cool stuff on other haircuts but either of those two haircuts can actually suit your preferences more:

Military haircuts http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...n-Products

Romain Dauric businessman cut/side part hairstyle http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...an-haircut

09-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the replies!, will check them out Smile
09-27-2013, 03:51 PM
(09-27-2013 03:30 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  This is a picture of a Regulation cut (a type of military haircut)

[Image: 917565abe23fa9db248e8b7649201338.jpg]

Click on the military haircuts and Romain Dauric threads as not only will you learn some cool stuff on other haircuts but either of those two haircuts can actually suit your preferences more:

Military haircuts http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...n-Products

Damn now i want a regulation cut Cool
09-28-2013, 04:23 AM
Last question on this matter. What number is the side I highlighted in the picture below? I am guessing the taper from the temple starts with a #5 then a #4 and the rest with a #3

[Image: 2v26tjc.jpg]
09-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Right there where you circle is done with shears (barber scissors) and the it is rapidly passed to a #5 guard right below the circle you drew Smile

This is a relatively easy taper for a barber by the way, don't sweat it, just tell the barber to make the taper smooth from the top to a #5 tight below the temple, he will understand you.

Actually, in that picture of Jake Gyllenhaal's Undercut I can see the bottom is a #3 as there's better lighting, looks shorter than in the other pictures. So you want this:

Top of the head: your choice of length. Jake Gyllenhaal has some 4-5 inches on the top (aprox.) although he has straight hair so adjust to your hair type
Rapid temple transition: shears
Layer just below temples down to one inch above ears: #5 guard
Bottom layer ears to hairline: #3 guard

09-28-2013, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2013 02:32 PM by SAMCRO.)
(09-28-2013 10:05 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Right there where you circle is done with shears (barber scissors) and the it is rapidly passed to a #5 guard right below the circle you drew Smile

This is a relatively easy taper for a barber by the way, don't sweat it, just tell the barber to make the taper smooth from the top to a #5 tight below the temple, he will understand you.

Actually, in that picture of Jake Gyllenhaal's Undercut I can see the bottom is a #3 as there's better lighting, looks shorter than in the other pictures. So you want this:

Top of the head: your choice of length. Jake Gyllenhaal has some 4-5 inches on the top (aprox.) although he has straight hair so adjust to your hair type
Rapid temple transition: shears
Layer just below temples down to one inch above ears: #5 guard
Bottom layer ears to hairline: #3 guard

Thank you, so happy to have found this forumSmile, I'll make sure to bring this photo with meSmile
09-28-2013, 03:30 PM
What is your 1st language EmreYOrhan? you mention how to say Undercut in your language...in other languages an undercut is mention like a "steps haircut" or "bowl cut". Rogelio once said that in spanish the undercut is called "al escalon" which means "in a step" Big Grin
09-28-2013, 04:27 PM
(09-28-2013 03:30 PM)Jurgen Wrote:  What is your 1st language EmreYOrhan? you mention how to say Undercut in your language...in other languages an undercut is mention like a "steps haircut" or "bowl cut". Rogelio once said that in spanish the undercut is called "al escalon" which means "in a step" Big Grin

Jurgen, I am guessing you're Dutch right?, I live in the Netherlands my self, what a coincidence. Well basically, I want to describe the exact same haircut Jake Gyllenhaal has in this pic, only difference is the part of the bottom layer, from ears to hairline, this has to be a #4
10-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Haircut will depend according to your face. Its upto you how you want to give new look to yourself. Hair extension or artificial hair is a good accessory for those who want to add shine, length and volume to their natural crowning glory. Thin and short hair is not suitable for all kinds of hair style. Furthermore, people with very thin hair often suffer lack of confidence at social events, and interview boards.

P.S I'm a spammer, that's why I got banned. And because I'm a spammer, the company I work for and help spam has now been reported to the authorities
10-04-2013, 11:47 AM
thank you guys for all the help, I got the haircut, and I like itSmile)
10-04-2013, 05:20 PM
(10-04-2013 11:47 AM)EmreYOrhan Wrote:  thank you guys for all the help, I got the haircut, and I like itSmile)

Awesome!!

Why not post a picture of it?

You can fade out the face if you don't want to show your full head Smile We are going to be creating a section of members' hairstyles and one of our goals is t promote "'good hair". Happy you liked it! Cool

10-05-2013, 04:27 AM
sure, I did fade out the face, I might get more comfortable posting my face with it over time.

[Image: 1zz2jyq.jpg]
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 17 28,486 07-19-2017 07:14 PM
Last Post: Robert.Brown
  Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners haircut advice Alex 39 355,404 07-19-2017 12:38 PM
  Short Haircuts for Men - Guide with Pictures, Tips and Advice TheMensHairForum 23 544,149 07-19-2017 11:17 AM
  Military haircuts: Pictures, How to, Discussion, Products TheMensHairForum 66 126,818 07-19-2017 11:15 AM