Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread
07-04-2013, 06:00 PM
RE: Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread
Undercut with Quiff hairstyle

[Image: media.media.66a3a72e-4fb0-4914-885c-2e74...lized.jpeg]

[Image: 48408_17_2012818366510.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2013, 04:57 AM
Hi this is the perfect thread for my predicament as well, basically I really want an undercut haircut but my hairline is really odd and I'm a bit skeptical of whether it would suit it.

Before
[Image: 213fe328c8555aee6782e9db0a7d4b0f.png]

After
[Image: 91fcf12774a1d8bdbf23db52e614dc4c.png]

You can see that I have got it shaped and boxed up by the barber, but the hairs keep growing back so it's really tough to keep in terms of maintenance. So I was wondering if you or anyone else has any hairstyle suggestions for my hairline because I can't keep up with trimming the hairs every 2 day or so, it ends up looking really odd.

I really wanna try this hairstyle but don't think it would go with my hairline..
[Image: 19f461a5e0585ae68140ccb6150e0421.png]

Please help me! =]
08-01-2013, 01:39 PM
so the undercut would then fall under the military haircuts series?
08-01-2013, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 01:58 PM by adamglasgow.)
IGNORE THIS MESSAGE, FORUM IS DOING SOMETHING FUNNY
08-01-2013, 06:58 PM
(08-01-2013 01:39 PM)Anton Wrote:  so the undercut would then fall under the military haircuts series?

yes! http://www.manlycurls.com/2013/07/milita...les-guide/ (last haircut)
08-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Any pictures for how the hair looks from the back? Want to getva visual of the different lengths.
08-03-2013, 05:21 PM
(08-02-2013 09:50 PM)tlipur Wrote:  Any pictures for how the hair looks from the back? Want to getva visual of the different lengths.

the Undercut looks the same on the back of the head as it does on the sides of the head as there are no different lengths or tapers done. The Undercut is one same length for the sides AND back.
This picture gives you an idea of how the Undercut looks from the side and how the back of the head is the same length and style as the sides

[Image: 10bbdc51c66d1b6644ed16224fca5924.jpg]

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
08-08-2013, 05:01 AM
The people who sport this haircut usually have 'oblong' faces, if you will. My faceshape is a little different... it's basically overall round - but then it goes into a sort of 'V' shape at the jawlines to the chin. Would the haircut suit me? I'm going to try it out but it'd be cool to know beforehand whether it'd look better/worse averagely on me.
08-08-2013, 03:18 PM
MMyers78, the Undercut is not a good haircut for round faces, a more suited haircut would be a taper haircut so the length decreases down the sides and back of your head and a messy hairstyle on the top.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
08-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Hi all, new to the forum. Short intro I'm from Ireland, age 20 and have coiled curly hair "type 3". I used to always shave my hair usually a #1 back and sides and a #2 on top but have since let it grow to medium length over the last year and have read Rogelio's first book. Now, when I get it cut I usually get it quite tight with the scissors on the back and sides and leave it longer on top so its slightly curled on the back and sides and starting to coil on top. I like it like this but the problem is the back and sides grow too fast and I'm quickly left with a Jewfro which I still kinda like but prefer it shorter. I was wondering if you all thought an undercut with curly coiling hair on top could work? I think it could look good but would appreciate your opinions!
08-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Welcome to the community Curly Irish Man! We will be opening very soon a new section for introductions where forum members can talk about how they got here and what their goals are so thanks for joining us (also a miscellaneous section and more to talk about anything).

I understand your problem, curly hair soon grows awkward after a haircut so it's a tough situation especially with type III or as we call it here coiled hair type (Rogelio has the same curl type, type III like urs btw). The Undercut can help this situation because it is a one single guard length (recommend a 2) but it is very important to get a little fading between the top and sides and back. I'll let Rogelio answer this one a little more (hes a mod) because when talking to him once he told me about how he got undercuts in the past when he was experimenting a lot with his hair etc but he always did some fading because otherwise it would look very awkward with his curl type. I dont have tight coils like you guys so to me the undercut in the past was done with no fading.

If Barber (another hair professional) or any other forum members with curly hair specific knowledge can add some more please do so. From my part, it's the little fading that is the trick as specified by Rogelio. Dunno if you follow his blog but he covered the Undercut in a guide for military haircuts http://www.manlycurls.com/2013/07/milita...les-guide/

Were also putting a resources section soon for online stuff like these guides etc Smile

08-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks for your input, looking forward to the new sections of the forum. Yeah that's a good point you raise about the fading, an undercut with curls on top could look a bit too drastic without some fading. I do follow Rogelio's blog and have seen that piece, I think the undercut is a very cool haircut its just I want to keep the curls on top so don't want to shave the top of my head.
08-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Hey Curly Irish Man,

First of all thank you for having bought my book, The Curly Hair Book! I'm all over the place these days, but let me address your enquiry.

The Undercut is a very special haircut in that, sure, it has been trending for the last couple of years but it only really looks great in men with straight hair (have a look here at Gareth Bale's Undercut). The Undercut can look good in curly haired men (from wavy to kinky, although the latter are better of with a High Top Fade) although the Undercut will limit your hairstyles for your curly hair.

The problem with curly hair, especially if it has coils (Type III and beyond), is that it is fairly unpredictable. Since you have read my first book, you'll be familiarized with the term "Damp vs. Dry effect" whereby the curlier the hair the more it will differ between dampness states. Ergo, an Undercut for curly hair should have some rapid tapering done on the edges; the edges are the perimeter of the top of the head, which is what isn't buzzed. Essentially, your barber/hairdresser should be leaving a half inch (say, one centimeter) whereby a rapid taper is done to accommodate the even length on the top and even length on the bottom (the bottom is where the Undercut is performed). This rapid taper should not pose a problem for your chosen hair professional as such tapers of similar nature are done for all sorts of common-day haircuts (e.g. businessman cut). Having said this, ideally you should be heading off to a hair professional who knows how to cut curly hair.

Lastly, if you want to get an Undercut for your curly hair, bear in mind that the hairstyles that you will be limited to are puffed-out hairstyles such as a puffy side part (side part with fingers and up) or a puffy slicked back. Do NOT let your curly hair hang down with an Undercut.

I agree with you, there's no more sense in continuing to buzz your hair and it is what I promote with my book. The Undercut is a great haircut but perhaps you'd benefit from a simple taper haircut for your first time growing your curly hair.

Best,

Rogelio

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
08-14-2013, 02:11 PM
(08-13-2013 08:06 AM)Curly Hair Wrote:  ...

Awesome explanation by the King of Curls (have u been called that before already?) Big Grin

08-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks Rogelio, Your book really helped me from growing my buzz cut into the coiled white mans fro it is today. The ladies love it too! haha

The damp vs dry effect is something I'm very familiar with, fortunately I'm a Uni student so I was able to take the time to experiment and now I know exactly how many stages the hair will go through and how long it will take to reach a dry stage. When I get my hair cut it will be trimmed on top, short enough so that its only slightly coiling forming more of a "C shape" than a full coil which means it won't be hanging over the edge. Usually when its damp and cut my hair will tend to stand up in the C shape.

Fortunately I have a really good barber who has cut my curls a few times now and also is naturally curly haired himself which helps a lot. I will discuss further with him about fading and what to do. I might just get a simple taper cut.

I understand my hair styles will be limited but they are fairly limited now. Ivy League when its short and a Shake n Go when its mid length.

If I can I will post up photos of the results and maybe do a before and after so that forum members can see what it's like. Thanks again.
08-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Good for u Curly! maybe if wanting the hair on the top so short consider a high and tight haircut first?
The difference between a high and tight haircut & an undercut is that the hair on the top is longer for the undercut. In case you havent read it still, read our military haircuts thread
If your hair is short now anyway, start with a high and tight then let the top grow out and keep buzzing the sides n' back with a hair clipper (see recommendations in this thread), in couple of months you will have your undercut as desired.
BTW admins we need to open the new log sections very soon SmileSmile
08-17-2013, 04:57 PM
have to agree with Curly Hair, TMHF & Jurgen, an undercut for curly hair is a bit risky especially for medium length hair. Personally i always tell my clients that an undercut with curly hair should be done with shortish hair looking more like a High and Tight haircut I can do a taper on the edges but it sort of defeats the purpose of the undercut which is after all a bowl cut and sharp.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
08-19-2013, 07:45 AM
Hey guys. I need some hints about my hair style. So here is an album with my hair right now and my face. Do you think Undercut is going to look well on me? I know I might need more length on top, but until now I was always going for a all-around #2 and I thought I need a change of style. So help me choose a hair style Smile

PS: Not native english-speaker.

[Image: 9q48d8Nh.jpg]

[Image: Hxcf9oCh.jpg]

[Image: 2BAtzpeh.jpg]
08-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Welcome to the forum Fros7y! You have almost vertical temples when your face is seen from the front so the Undercut can suit you as a men's haircut. You have already good hair length on the top although you may want to grow some more hair length to have more styling options with your Undercut (but keep getting the sides and back buzzed so maintain the Undercut).

And don't forget to update us with pictures when you get your Undercut, we are opening a log/blog section for forum members to post their new haircuts/hairstyles among new sections we're opening in the coming days!

09-07-2013, 04:24 PM
(05-27-2013 10:30 PM)Barber Wrote:  How to do an Undercut hairstyle

Haircut
You must have two to six inches on the top of the head, the length on the topshould be the same, not tapered. Sides and back clipped to a #1 or #2.

Hairstyle
Put some pomade on your fingers and slight the hair back or to the side. Leave the hair as is, or use a comb to sweep the hair tight. Use hair dryer if you want volume on the Undercut (and only use fingers to style).

Hair products for Undercut
For the best Undercut, grab these products:

Hair pomade

Good quality comb

Heavy duty hair clipper to routinely clip yoruself the back and sides (it's easy to do as you only need one guard)

Hair dryer (comes with diffuser)

Hair product FAQ for Undercut hairstyle
Can I use other hairstyling products?
Yes. Hair gel, styling creams and hair mousse are good.

How to use the hair dryer?
Blow air into different segments of the hair as you sweep hair to side or back. Only 2 seconds each segment.

How much pomade to use?
1 to 3 fingertips as you prefer.

How frequently should I clip my sides and back of the head?
Once every 2 weeks.

Can I use other brands of products for my Undercut?
Yes, but the ones above are recommended to get a good Undercut. Others you can get:

Pomade

Comb

Hair Clipper (cordless)

Hair dryer (comes with diffuser)

Barber, I just noticed you didn't provide any recommendation for hair mousse under the FAQ for the Undercut so for anyone of you reading and wanting to buy hair mousse, we have this one recommended as per our forum's best hair products list. And bear in mind that hair mousse goes best with a hair dryer as the hair mousse + hair dryer really enhances the volume of your Undercut.

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Epic Styling Guide for Slicked Back Hair - How To, Pictures and Products TheMensHairForum 37 679,383 03-30-2017 04:05 PM
Last Post: Juniorz7604
  Short Haircuts for Men - Guide with Pictures, Tips and Advice TheMensHairForum 22 530,367 03-15-2017 08:23 AM
Last Post: HarpreetSingh
  Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners haircut advice Alex 38 336,289 03-01-2017 07:17 AM
Last Post: booster
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 7 129,098 02-28-2017 02:19 AM
Last Post: Ilovehairstyle