Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undercut Hairstyle: Hair Product Question - Need Help!
08-10-2015, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2015 11:52 AM by The1HairThatWontStay.)
Undercut Hairstyle: Hair Product Question - Need Help!
I have an undercut and I use pomade to style the hair on the top but it always looks shiny. I want my hair to look dry/natural but stay in place. What product can I use to achieve that effect?

My account is brand new so I can post an image til I reach 50 posts but the thread called "Side Combover Hairstyle with Taper Haircut Help" has a photo of almost exactly what I'm going for. So if you need a visual reference check it out.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2015, 05:52 PM
RE: Undercut Hairstyle - Product Question - Need Help!
Panther (admin) kindly updated my account so I can post pics.

Here's the look I'm going for.
[Image: 48XwjEH.jpg]
08-13-2015, 09:55 AM
RE: Undercut Hairstyle: Hair Product Question - Need Help!
I understand what you mean when you say that your hair looks too shiny with pomade. The thing with pomades is that they all are made to give varying degrees of shine due to the ingredients that are used in both oil based pomades and water based pomades. It's part of the territory of styling an undercut hairstyle with pomade.

The best hair product for styling an undercut with no hair shine is a hair wax. I read your other question and by far I recommend this TIGI hair styling wax which is reviewed by Jurgen (one of our forum moderators) and he also tells you where to buy it for a good price. That TIGI hair wax has no shine and it has a natural hair texture to it which is what the guy in that slicked back undercut picture has.

Get that hair wax as it's a pretty good styling wax to have nearby whenever you want to style your undercut with a matte finish, no shine and with a more natural texture. You can also check out this list of hair wax products for men that are listed by how much shine they give and by how much hold they give. It's a great list posted by another forum moderator and you can always buy a second hair wax (aside from the TIGI hair wax) from that list according to any other types of hair shine levels or holding strength levels that you may want for your undercut hairstyle.

From that hair wax list in the link, I would also get the low shine and strong hold hair wax. It will give a small amount of shine when compared with the TIGI hair wax, but it will not give nowhere near as much hair shine as the hairstyling pomade that you're currently using for your undercut.

By the way, your account had already been upgraded by the time you posted the picture.
08-13-2015, 05:33 PM
(08-13-2015 09:55 AM)Panther Wrote:  I understand what you mean when you say that your hair looks too shiny with pomade....

Thanks again Panther! I'll pick up the TIGI wax for sure. One other question.. do you think that I have to blow dry my hair to get the same look as in the photo above?
08-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Well, yes and no. A hair dryer is a great hairstyling tool for men. You can get a lot of volume with a hair dryer and you can give yourself as much hair volume as you want. The longer that you keep it pointed at your hair while finger styling, the more volume that you will get for your undercut hairstyle.

I would recommend that you use a hair dryer for that pictures modern slicked back undercut. Whether you can get the same hair volume on your undercut as that guy in the picture or not will depend on your hair thickness and hair density. If your hair is thick and you have a high density then you can get that hair volume naturally without a hair dryer. I can quickly see that the guy in the picture is blessed with some great hair genetics since his hair is both thick and dense. Not all guys are this lucky and it is why it's always best to ask us or ask your barber about a given hairstyle before choosing it. Basing your hairstyle on some random male model can lead to disaster as those guys will look great even with a mohawk haircut colored with pink highlights.

If you want to post a picture of your hair I can take a look and tell you if you would be able to get that hair volume naturally. I mean, the TIGI hair wax that I recommended is cheap enough to just buy it and test it with your natural hair. If you fail to get this volume naturally then use a hair dryer. If you haven't gotten a hair dryer yet then read the forum's official hair dryers discussion in this linked thread as you will find a lot of great hair dryers that are priced differently so that you can find a good cheap hair dryer that won't break your wallet or bank account.

It's always good to have a hair dryer around if you're into the range of modern men's hairstyles. I'm talking of quiffs, brush up hairstyles, messy hairstyles, slicked back undercut hairstyles and all kinds of side part undercut styles. If you search the forum for these types of hairstyles you will find lots of great information and advice on how to style your hair with these hairstyles. You will also find that many forum barbers recommend having a hair dryer if you want to be trying this newer trendy men's hairstyles.
08-16-2015, 04:51 PM
(08-16-2015 08:45 AM)Panther Wrote:  Well, yes and no...

I have similar hair to the guy in the photo. My barber has mentioned how thick it is which is part of the reason I chose this style.

For TIGI, I live in Canada and it's more expensive here... There are 2 options on Amazon.CA, one is $20 and one is $50. The one that's $50 is the exact product from the review. The one that's $20 looks very similar. Can you have a quick look at the one that's $20 and tell me if it's the same thing?

Here's the link.. (edited out)

If I can achieve the look without blow drying then all the better. I'll start with wax and see if it does the trick. If not, will look into the blow drying.

Thanks again Panther!
08-17-2015, 03:58 AM
So will the Tigi wax stuff work for a matte slicked back hairstyle? (I know that's a bit of a contradiction) I'm using Baxter's of California clay pomade at the minute, and was wondering if the Tigi wax is better for this.
08-17-2015, 10:25 AM
(08-16-2015 04:51 PM)The1HairThatWontStay Wrote:  If I can achieve the look without blow drying then all the better. I'll start with wax and see if it does the trick. If not, will look into the blow drying.

Thanks again Panther!

Well, taking into account the current exchange rate, 50 Canadian dollars is about 40 US dollars which is extremely expensive for the TIGI hair wax. You should expect to pay no more than 20 US dollars for that TIGI matte hair wax. The sources that have been recommended in the forum all have the lowest prices and they're from Amazon too. Paying 40 US dollars for that hair styling wax is asinine.

The packaging for the TIGI matte hair styling wax changed recently from the black tub to the clear tub. You will find some vendors still offering the black tub while others offer the clear tub. It doesn't matter which one you buy as it's the same matte hair styling wax from TIGI.

I would go with the clear tub option from Canada without any hesitation. Most men's hair products listed in this forum from Amazon USA can be delivered to Canada but if you want to get the TIGI matte hair wax from that Amazon vendor from Canada then go for it as the price is a good one and probably way cheaper than the physical stores in Canada as it is here in the United States with all men's hair products listed on Amazon.

You just have to do your due diligence when buying from Amazon and search the forum for which vendors and products have been recommended as the senior moderators like to update their list of recommended hair products for men based on forum feedback and on their personal experiences (I'm also a moderator but not one of the senior moderators).

I edited out the links imply because linking to external websites is not allowed without permission. However I got your links and checked it out so I can tell you right now that the TIGI matte hair wax with the clear tub that's 20 Canadian dollars is the one that you should be buying.

You're good to go with trying the TIGI hair wax alone and see if you can achieve that natural volume with the styling wax alone. If your barber has told you that you have thick hair then you will very likely be able to get that natural volume.

One more thing always use a hair wax with damp hair and not with dry hair. Even if you want a natural texture you still need to have your hair slightly damp. This is so that the moisture from the dampness is trapped by the hair wax which then increases the volume. Damp hair also makes the application of the hair wax way more even and regular. So towel dry your hair after showering and get almost all the dampness out of your hair but do leave some dampness (so your hair isn't fully dried out). Then style your hair with the TIGI hair wax.

(08-17-2015 03:58 AM)ironboy Wrote:  So will the Tigi wax stuff work for a matte slicked back hairstyle? (I know that's a bit of a contradiction) I'm using Baxter's of California clay pomade at the minute, and was wondering if the Tigi wax is better for this.

Yes it's a bit of a contradiction because a slicked hairstyle will always have some shine to it. A matte hair finish has no shine at all, not even some minor shine. That's why the TIGI hair wax that I recommended earlier is great for a natural texture when doing a modern slicked back undercut like in the picture that was posted in this thread. Technically you're still slicking because of the texture of the hair wax itself as you coat your damp hair with it but the resulting hairstyle finish does not reflect any light (that's the definition of the matte word).

I think what would be a good option for you is using a hair wax that has a low shine instead of a matte finish. You will get some slicked texture effect but it will not be as big as the one achieved with a high shine pomade or a high shine wax. Again refer to this list of men's hair wax products with all the types of hair styling waxes by shine level and holding strength level. Get the 'low shine' hair wax with a medium hold or stronger.

The hair-wax product list above is an excellent list to bookmark and to keep as reference for any time that you want to buy a new hair wax as you can make the most of a hair wax by choosing it according to its natural properties based on shine level and holding strength.
08-18-2015, 05:02 PM
(08-17-2015 10:25 AM)Panther Wrote:  Well, taking into account the current exchange rate...

Just made my order. Should be here by September 3rd. Will send an update once I've tried it out. Cheers!
09-02-2015, 05:02 PM
@Panther.. TIGI is pretty amazing! Def gives the matte look I want and the hold.

Strangely, I only get close to the photo I posted when I sleep on my hair without washing the product out (I know I should wash it out but sometimes I just pass out and can't be bothered.) But yeah, the next morning my hair is standing straight up and all I have to do is pass a brush through it quickly and bam. Tons of volume.

When I apply TIGI after a shower I always end up with a more traditional slicked back look, even though the matte effect is there, I can't get the volume.

Any tips? I've experimented with applying TIGI when the hair is still a bit wet, and also when it's completely dry, but it always looks slicked back until the next day... I'm assuming my technique is wrong.
09-03-2015, 06:53 AM
I'm glad that you're liking the smooth effect of the TIGI hair wax. This hair wax is the type of hair wax that is always good to having in your cabinet or bathroom for any time when you aren't sure of how you want to style your hair.

Well there are two possible solutions here. You can either use a hair dryer or you can grow your hair longer. Some guys are very lucky to be able to achieve a lot of volume naturally even when they style their hair completely wet.

Please bear in mind that the perfect state of one's hair prior to styling it with hair wax (like the TIGI hair wax) or any other men's hairstyling product is when the hair is damp. Do not style your hair when it's wet or dry, by far the best state for hair to be styled is when the hair is damp.

Damp hair is a step down from wet hair and a step up from dry hair. You achieve damp hair by drying your hair with a towel after showering but not drying the hair fully and leaving some minor wetness on the hair. You then style your hair and either finish drying it with a hair dryer or you let the hair air dry. For the best volume effect a hair dryer is the best hairstyling tool that you can use instead of air-drying the hair.

Try posting a picture so that I can see the finishing volume that you're getting. Upload the picture to your reply or to some other free image hosting website. In your profile t says that you have wavy hair so you should not have a lot of issues getting some volume on your hair. If you post a picture I can see whether you truly have wavy hair or not. It's very easy to mistake straight hair for wavy hair especially when the hair is short.

The good thing about having wavy hair is that it builds itself some nice hair volume once the hair is over four inches in length. The perfect length for the slicked back undercut with wavy hair is four to six inches. That's if you're after the modern slicked back undercut with volume which you're indeed after. I'm doing the rounds today replying questions so I can't remember if you have mentioned this before, how long is your hair? It says in your profile that you have a medium length but can you mention how many inches of hair length you have?

If you don't want to wait until your hair is six inches long or you can't grow your hair that long due to your job and whatnot, then the best way to achieve extra volume for the slicked back hairstyle is to use a hair dryer. See this hair dryer thread which I mentioned earlier and compare the recommended hair dryers. Some of the recommended hair dryers in that thread priced below fifty bucks and they are of excellent quality. You can use a hair dryer for many other men's hairstyles that you choose in the future, so consider the purchase of a hair dryer as an investment for your hair and aesthetics.

Try answering the questions on your hair type and hair length and also post a picture of what your hair looks like with the TIGI hair wax when your hair has achieved its final texture. If you don't know your hair type or hair length, you can read the forum's hair type guide and hair length guide for the best advice on nailing the correct hair type and length of your own hair. Hair type and your desire hair length are the most important factors when choosing the best hairstyle for a male. So you must know these two factors.
09-19-2015, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2015 07:03 PM by The1HairThatWontStay.)
(09-03-2015 06:53 AM)Panther Wrote:  Try answering the questions on your hair type and hair length and also post a picture of what your hair looks like with the TIGI hair wax when your hair has achieved its final texture.

Hey Panther, here's some photos to give you a better idea of what I'm getting with TIGI. My hair length is 4 inches at the front and about 3 inches towards the back. It's an undercut so the sides are short but I actually need a haircut at the moment so the sides are a bit too long.

As I said, I get the best volume the day after I style my hair so I've included pics of my hair with no product at all, plus pics once hair is freshly styled, and pics from the next day when I get max volume.

I'm thinking of getting a blow dryer..

The Conair dryer posted in this thread is $25 on the US Amazon site but here in Canada it's around $60. So I chose a different Conair dryer in similar price range. Please let me know if it's good.
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/conair-1875-...0016945556

Also, what are the tangible differences between cheap and expensive hair dryers? If I buy a cheap one will it do bad things to my hair in the long term or do the more expensive ones just come with extra doodads?

Here's the pics of my hair..

Totally dry with absolutely no product:
[Image: 7iCyNsF.jpg]
[Image: sbsYKs8.jpg]
[Image: Iw7agqK.jpg]

Freshly styled:
[Image: a3nWrKs.jpg]
[Image: RrV7G9L.jpg]

Day after, all it takes is a quick brush and I get good volume:
[Image: uuDEIU6.jpg]
[Image: yeTEP27.jpg]
[Image: tx0MnxF.jpg]
09-21-2015, 06:31 AM
Hi The1HairThatWontStay,

Not sure where you bought the TIGI wax, but in Canada you can buy it in shoppers drug mart (in the men's zone specialty section). Depending on where you live, there may not be the men's specialty section and not have the product, but if you find a bigger shoppers, you will find it. I bought it about a month ago and it was roughly about $20-22 CAD + tax. Just make sure you look carefully and get the TIGI Bed Head Men Matte Separation Wax, as they also sell the other one that's more creamy (forgot the name but same packaging).

It's stupid because you might find the one in the blue packaging (Manipulator or something) in the gels' section, but this one will be in the specialty section. You will think the wax isn't in the store, but it's in a different isle... yeah frustrating.

Hope this helps.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 53 Yesterday 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Help regarding a haircut (undercut) zorrocat1 0 254 10-30-2016 05:26 AM
Last Post: zorrocat1
  Medium slickback hairstyle Gias98 0 276 10-20-2016 12:50 PM
Last Post: Gias98
  Help identify my hair for a new hairstyle gabriel777 2 306 10-18-2016 09:34 AM
Last Post: gabriel777