Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to identify haircut or hairstyle of James Franco in Sonny
06-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Trying to identify haircut or hairstyle of James Franco in Sonny
After being just a lurker for a while, I've come across a haircut that I want to identify. It's James Franco's hair style from the movie "Sonny". At first I thought it was an undercut but the length of the hair on the side and on the back seem to be too long. Perhaps it's an undercut that has grown out some? Plus, what is it called when going from the sides to the top since it's kind of tapered?

[Image: sny055.jpg]

[Image: sny048.jpg]

[Image: sny098.jpg]

[Image: sny103.jpg]

Any help is much appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2015, 07:23 AM
The haircut of James Franco is a taper haircut with a slicked back hairstyle!
Don't worry about the images, I've updated them for you. The hairstyle of James Franco in the Sonny movie is a modern slicked back hairstyle. The hair is combed back and the haircut is a long taper haircut.

We've covered the modern slicked back hairstyle in our slicked back hair guide as we show you how to slick your hair back and what hair products to use. The hairstyle is very easy, and, in the modern slicked back style, the hair has volume, which is achieved by using your fingers as a comb to style the hair back. Likewise, a styling mousse is a great product for the modern slicked back and so is a good hair dryer.

The combination of a styling mousse with a hair dryer is what gives the volume of the modern slicked back style. If you don't have a hair dryer but would be interested in buying one, then have a look at our hair dryers discussion with our list of recommended hair dryers for men. In fact, hair dryers are awesome hair styling tools for men for just about all male hairstyles, so it's always a good idea to have one handy.

If you would rather not use a hair dryer, you can still get the volume as per the hair of James Franco by using a good styling mousse. See our list of recommended hair products for the styling mousse that we recommended for men's hair styling (browse down a little in the first post to spot the linked styling mousse). That particular styling mousse gives a shinny finish, which is unlike the hair finish of James Franco in Sonny.

If you want to achieve the matte finish of James Fanco's hairstyle in the Sonny movie, then go with this TIGI hair styling wax recommended in the link. That will work very well to give you some extra hair volume without having to resort to using a hair dryer. I do still recommend that you get a hair dryer as the ones that we've listed in the linked list above have some pretty affordable prices, which make their purchase a good decision.

As for the haircut of James Franco in Sonny, it's what we call a taper haircut. More specifically, his haircut is a long taper haircut. This is a type of haircut that any barber or hairdresser will give you without any issues as it's a classic haircut.

The hair on the top of his head looks to be about 4 inches long. So either grow that length on the top or get it cut to that length if your hair is longer.

Lastly, it's important to take into account that James Franco has wavy hair. Now, out of all the 4 male hair types, wavy hair is known for its ease of styling while obtaining natural volume. So, if you have a different hair type than wavy hair, you will need to take into account your product use. Straight hair usually has problems with achieving enough volume without hair products, while curlier hair tends to not get the slicked back pattern evened out (so you will spend more time styling your hair to get it "just" right).

It's a great hairstyle, though. Good choice.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 73 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Help regarding a haircut (undercut) zorrocat1 0 269 10-30-2016 05:26 AM
Last Post: zorrocat1
  Haircut fix Pgreene431 1 189 10-28-2016 02:26 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  Widow peak(Short haircut) Alexander 0 213 10-24-2016 06:21 PM
Last Post: Alexander