Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to grow my hair out
11-07-2014, 11:19 PM
Trying to grow my hair out
Always had short hair being in the military - add to that a course, thick, slightly wavy hair structure, so I kept it short and used lots of product (gels, glues). Have started growing it out over the past year and I'm at about 6" on the top and 2" on the side. I had concerns on the body and bulk, so my barber did an abbreviated Brazilian Blowout (didn't straighten it, and only leaves it in for about 5 mins). I'm washing and conditioning every other day. After I wash my hair and condition, I towel dry (lightly) and then add a VERY generous amount of moroccan oil (otherwise it is too 'big' and dry. I blow dry it just short of completely dry, and then finger style it to create movement and separation, with just the earlier moroccan oil as a styling aid. I'm trying to get to a layered cut with just-above shoulder length on the back, and bottom-of-the ear length in the front. I have some pics of what I've got going on, but apparently my profile is limited since I have less than 50 posts Tongue Open to suggestions - on regimen, cut, and product to get it there. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2014, 07:50 PM
RE: Trying to grow my hair out
Welcome to the forum…even though you came here before I did.

Looks like we're in about the same boat. Other than when I was a teen, my hair has been predominantly buzzed due to 7 years in the Corps, and then not knowing what to do with hair when I got out. You've got a head start on me though by about 2". How long do you plan to grow it out?
11-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Hey - nice to see another military man on here!

Not too long, still work in the govt lol...medium-length over all...shoulder-length in the back and to the bottom of my ears in the front...have it where I want it in front, just waiting on the back to get longer...have about 3 more inches to go. Some days I wake up and just want to buzz the whole thing.
11-18-2014, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2014 09:34 PM by Unshorn.)
(11-18-2014 09:22 PM)jonify Wrote:  Hey - nice to see another military man on here!

Not too long, still work in the govt lol...medium-length over all...shoulder-length in the back and to the bottom of my ears in the front...have it where I want it in front, just waiting on the back to get longer...have about 3 more inches to go. Some days I wake up and just want to buzz the whole thing.

I know that feeling well. That's why my hair isn't long yet. I've attempted growing it a few times in the past and one day just can't take it anymore and off it comes. Something I read this time around was to give yourself 1 cooling off day for each month it's been growing. If you still want to cut it at that point, then do it. I'm at 6 months now so that's nearly a week of cooling off when I get tired of the hair. Each time I've used that strategy, the hair has stayed.

After reading Rogelio's 2nd book (I haven't read the first as it's not available on Kindle), I feel more confident that I'll have less bad hair days than good ones. His approach is different than any I've ever used and is giving more positive results than in the past.

I still work for the feds too. There's a couple other longhairs where I work already so I'm not blazing any new trails. I'll be happy though when I can pull it all back. Some days it looks pretty wild. Those are the times a ponytail would come in handy.

So you should be roughly 6 months from having the back where you want it; that's cool. The back of mine really coils and turns up so I don't have much visible length there, just puffiness. I'm looking forward to when the weight of the hair is long enough to hold it down some.

What branch were you in? I was USMC 86-93.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Bug Want to grow hair long but have a balding spot, is this baldness? bizoo90 4 742 10-15-2015 02:10 PM
Last Post: Jessie
  Long hair guy advice and knowledge to grow a longer mane!! Mane Man 4 889 07-05-2015 03:52 PM
Last Post: TheLonghair701
  Natural hair black guy wanting to grow his curls long Africa 2 925 06-28-2015 01:26 PM
Last Post: Africa
  Hey! Wanting to grow Long Hair from Short Hair before age 30 Jedula 1 620 06-28-2015 12:36 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum