Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to grow Long Hair and the Hair is becoming like a Bowl Cut
03-31-2015, 03:15 PM
Trying to grow Long Hair and the Hair is becoming like a Bowl Cut
Hey guys,

I just joined the forum and I would like to ask a question. Just something to mention, I'm a Chinese-Japanese dude and I started to grow my hair about 4 months ago. My hair is starting to look like a mushroom, or bowl cut. How should I deal with this? I don't like the look of it, and I know people say just to get over it, but I just really hate it, I feel like cutting it short. I read somewhere that I should grow the sides after I get the other areas of my head long enough. Any tips?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2015, 05:18 PM
RE: Trying to grow Long Hair and the Hair is becoming like a Bowl Cut
Hmm... not sure how bad it really is without seeing it, perhaps it may look bad to you, but to the rest of us it's alright! But, I would suggest wearing a headgear, like a cap or a beanie if you really can't stand the look of it. Alternatively, a hairband would do the job as well by pushing your fringe up to the back, hence eliminating the bowl cut look.
03-31-2015, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the reply, I'm trying to upload pictures here but I don't know how. I try to post links but it won't let me and when I use the picture icon it doesn't work as well.
04-01-2015, 03:15 AM
To grow hair long, you need to start from an even haircut.
Welcome!

I've upgraded your account so that you can post pictures (simply upload them in image sites like imgur.com and then embed them here). If you aren't sure, just ask.

About the bowl haircut style and growing your hair long, this stems from the base haircut that you got or had when you stated to grow your hair long. Bowl haircuts are very common for men with straight hair (like you have) and a shot to medium length, but a bowl haircut is a liability when growing your hair long as it augments the mushroom effect.

Post pictures and we can have a look. You will very likely, however, be limited to 2 options:
  1. Cut the top of your hair now to even it out with the sides and back.
  2. Continue growing your hair long and then one your hair is super long on the top (and long enough on the back and sides), you'd cut the hair on the top and even it out with the hair on the sides/back.
This all comes down to one of the main (and most important) basics of growing hair long: you need to start growing your hair long with an even haircut or as close to evened out as possible.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-01-2015, 01:11 PM
Right I hear you I'm a first generation American, my parent came from China.

I have been getting bowl haircuts for as long as I remember lol it is that bad. I right now have a buzz cut that I grew a bit longer but it's just boring and the same old stuff. I could go to our usual hairdresser and get a bowl haircut and move on but surely there must be some other hair styles that are good for our hair type. Right?

I will subscribe to this thread to see if you post your pics and if the barbers here can help you as I think you and I have the same hairstyle problem! Undecided
04-01-2015, 02:03 PM

Hopefully you guys can see what is going on with my hair, I was using my webcam for this so not the best quality, sorry.
04-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Anyone who can help me even further? I posted the pictures of my hair.
04-08-2015, 08:56 AM
TheMensHairForum pretty much summed it up, and it really depends what your goal is. If you want most of your long hair to be on the top and not on the sides/back, you could always go and get only the sides trimmed. If you want to grow out all of your hair, sides/back included, there's not much you can do except wait it out. Styling-wise though, you could get a heavy wax or pomade (something with a strong hold) and slick the sides back, kind of like a pompadour.
04-09-2015, 01:02 AM
Agreed with the gentlemen's answers. I feel that your hair looks alright, I used to have that while growing out. Like GoodHair mentioned, slicking the sides back will look better.

Gatsby waxes do a great job for my Asian hair. You can slick your sides back/down then either part your top or form a pompadour/quiff. Some examples:

[Image: jon-kortajarena-pompadour-hairstyle_zps736d2092.jpg][Image: men-pompadour.png]

I wore this kind of hairstyle until I was able to wear a headband without my hair sticking out all over (because it's too short to stay down).
04-09-2015, 10:46 AM
To avoid the Bowl Haircut look, simply grow your hair longer for 10 months!
(04-01-2015 02:03 PM)pt3407 Wrote:  Hopefully you guys can see what is going on with my hair, I was using my webcam for this so not the best quality, sorry.

I can see the haircut that you got done. Now that I've seen your hair in the pictures, I advice you to stick through it and simply keep growing your hair. It may look odd for the next couple of months, but once you have a good 5 inches of extra hair length, it will look better and then you can get the right type of haircut by which you tell your hairdresser to cut your hair in layers and not in a taper haircut.

So, right now, put a conscious effort in growing your hair long and do not get a haircut or step into a hair salon or barbershop for the next 10 to 12 months, which is the time frame that you will need to grow an extra 5 inches of hair length. Don't worry, your hair will not go crazy by not going to a hairdresser in a year! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Thank you guys very much! and to MensHairForum, you said earlier to cut all my hair to have the same length but should I still do that? A little bit confused because you said in this post that I should just leave it.
04-14-2015, 01:40 PM
(04-09-2015 10:46 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 02:03 PM)pt3407 Wrote:  Hopefully you guys can see what is going on with my hair, I was using my webcam for this so not the best quality, sorry.

I can see the haircut that you got done. Now that I've seen your hair in the pictures, I advice you to stick through it and simply keep growing your hair. It may look odd for the next couple of months, but once you have a good 5 inches of extra hair length, it will look better and then you can get the right type of haircut by which you tell your hairdresser to cut your hair in layers and not in a taper haircut.

So, right now, put a conscious effort in growing your hair long and do not get a haircut or step into a hair salon or barbershop for the next 10 to 12 months, which is the time frame that you will need to grow an extra 5 inches of hair length. Don't worry, your hair will not go crazy by not going to a hairdresser in a year! Smile

I'm sorry for posting again to get attention, I just really would like to get my question answered from you guys. My question is should I still get all of my hair to the same length then just let it grow out? The hair on the top of my head seems to be a little longer than the hairs on the back, left, and right. Thanks.
04-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Grow your hair long to 5 inches & only then even out the top with the sides and back.
No, first grow your hair to 5 inches. That means that the shortest hair on your head (i.e. the sides and back) must be 5 inches, which would make the hair on the top about an extra inch longer.

Once you have hit the 5 inches of hair length then go to the barbershop or hair salon and ask the barber or hairdresser to cut your hair evenly at 5 inches. What he/she will do is remove length from the top and just trim the tips from the sides and back to give you the all-round 5 inches of hair length. This will not only even out your bowl haircut but it will also allow you to have a solid base with which to either continue to grow your hair longer or maintain the length (i.e. 5 inches) but with better aesthetics.

So, right now, your goal should be to get to 5 inches, so spend the next couple of months growing your hair. With your current hair length, getting a haircut now to even out the hair would just make your hair look like it currently does, so there's no point just yet in cutting the hair.

Likewise, as soon as your hair grows an extra 2 inches, the bowl haircut will begin to fade in shape, so you will be killing 2 birds with one stone by spending the next months growing your hair long. In about 3 months, you will notice that the bowl haircut shape will be almost imperceptible to the eye and you hair type goes great with longer lengths too, so it will look much better! Smile

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New hairstyle for straight hair - Quiff or long hairstyles? Wayne Baskin 0 273 09-23-2016 09:22 AM
Last Post: Wayne Baskin
  Hair falling out while growing long hair with seborrhoeic dermatitis? AwesomeHair 1 164 09-11-2016 01:24 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  How to make hair curly from wavy hair without products? Labidad 0 363 04-16-2016 06:05 AM
Last Post: Labidad
  New to growing long hair!!!!!!! Please help WeepingWillow 0 401 04-11-2016 01:34 PM
Last Post: WeepingWillow