Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traction alopecia warning signs from man bun and topknot styles?
12-20-2014, 02:50 AM
Traction alopecia warning signs from man bun and topknot styles?
Is there any early warning signs your body is telling you that if you continue with the hairstyle (e.g. man bun hairstyle), you're going to get traction alopecia? Like a burning sensation on the scalp or redness?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2015, 02:17 PM
The warning signs of traction alopecia include a receded hairline and headaches.
I believe that your question merits being posted as a thread since traction alopecia is becoming too common these days among young males wearing hairstyles like the man bun or the top knot.

As someone who works in this industry, I'm seeing more and more men with receded hairlines from wearing their man buns and top knots too tight. The vast majority of men wearing these hairstyles are not aware of the risk to which they are exposing themselves, and, unfortunately, traction alopecia is usually irreversible. What that means is that your trendy top knot could give you a receded hairline for life if you wear it the wrong way (see our top knot guide for advice and tips on the top knot hairstyle and how to wear it).

I'm going to post below the symptoms and warning signs of traction alopecia occurring or soon to occur. This should be a checklist for every male out there wearing tied hairstyles like manbuns and topknots as well as for males who like to wear braided hairstyles (including cornrows).
  • The skin of the forehead feels tight and pulled.
  • Headaches that continue after untying the hair and on to the next day.
  • A burning and/or sensation in the scalp, especially around the hairline area of the forehead as that's where most of the tension is present in tied hairstyles like the man bun.
  • A higher number of shed hair strands than before you started using the offending hairstyle/s.
  • A receded forehead hairline that follows the natural shape of your forehead's hairline. Unlike with male pattern baldness, with traction alopecia, all of the forehead's hairline recedes back or recedes asymmetrically. Traction alopecia from man buns and top knots is usually symmetric as far as a receding hairline goes.
  • An asymmetric hairline. This is typical of braided hairstyles or of badly-styled bun hairstyles.
  • Lower hair density around the forehead's hairline; the scalp is easily seen.
  • Increased hair frizz. This is due to the excessively-tensed hair strands loosing their elasticity and thus not locking up with their neighboring hair strands, leading to increased frizz and flyaway hair strands.
  • A marked decrease in the good looks of the hair or of your chosen hairstyle.
It's important to act fast, especially if you're noticing that your hairline is receding or is becoming asymmetric. Likewise, any health issues like headaches must be dealt with a health professional. A headache from wearing a man bun need not be related to traction alopecia but could instead be something much worse, so please tread carefully when it comes to your health.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Has my topknot caused hair loss? -KANE- 0 326 08-18-2016 11:14 AM
Last Post: -KANE-
  Hair loss from man bun or top knot? Is this traction alopecia? Mike Lowe 1 1,573 10-06-2015 06:54 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Concerned with possible hair thinning with no alopecia signs - 32 yo male clarkkent3083 1 873 08-31-2015 11:48 AM
Last Post: Panther
  Need Advice - Traction Alopecia from thin hair to thick hair ootwia 0 735 06-22-2015 09:39 AM
Last Post: ootwia