Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Tips on How to Cut your Own Hair - No barbershop visits!
09-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Top Tips on How to Cut your Own Hair - No barbershop visits!
I would like to post some very useful tips on how to cut your own hair. Cutting your hair is a great way to save yourself time and money. Even the tools for it which are a hair clipper and scissors, will save you money further ahead in the future as you will no longer have to visit your barber so frequently. I know this is a barbers forum, so let's keep this 'how to cut your hair' tips quiet Big Grin

1. Right Equipment: Make sure you get hair scissors and clippers to make hair cutting easier. This will not only improve your accuracy, but allow you to get a cleaner cut. Do not use your standard scissors in which you use to cut paper. You will have difficulty cutting your hair with these and the lengths will be uneven. There is a huge thread on great hair clippers in the forum so check the link out for some of the best hair clippers a guy can buy.

2. Wet hair cut: For longer and straight hair it's best to get your hair wet first. It will make it easier to cut and it will be easier to judge the lengths.

3. Dry hair cut: Now if you have short hair, curly hair or you are using clippers, then dry hair is the way to go. Dry hair will allow the clippers to get a more even cut, it will avoid having hair stick to you and the clippers, and it will avoid clogging.

4. Start small: When first cutting your hair you should start small. Start with side burns, or the back of your neck, then the next time you cut you can move on to more. Just don't get a head of yourself and make small adjustments.

5. Start simple: The first time you cut your hair is not the time that you want to layer your hair. Do simple hairstyles first. If it's just cutting off some split ends or adding bangs, then as you get more comfortable with the tools then move on to more complicated styles.

6. Get a couple of mirrors: Get a couple of mirrors so that you can see your head from different angles, you will see mistakes that were not initially visible.

7. Don't forget the back: Don't focus on your mirror image so much that you forget the back. Ideally have a second mirror or even better yet, a mirror that you can adjust the angles with for better visibility of your head for the sides and back.

8. Double check: Always double check your work. Even hours later you can feel around your hair and feel errors in your cutting. Maybe the lengths are uneven, maybe the bangs don't site right, maybe the sideburns are not high enough, may there was a place that was cut too short. Just make sure you come back and double check your work after you have given your eyes a rest.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2014, 05:15 PM
RE: Top Tips on How to Cut your Own Hair - No barbershop visits!
I'm still trying to build up the courage to try this myself...it's definitely something I'd like to perfect, though I do like supporting small business salons in my neighborhood.
10-22-2014, 08:11 AM
I've cut my hair a couple of times before. My barber asked my brother which barber I went to because I hadn't been at his place for a couple of months and my hair looked sick, so it's safe to say I did a good job at cutting my own hair. But the only downside is that I don't know if everything has been cut. Some hairs were longer than the others but this wasn't noticeable because it was in the middle. How does one correct this?
10-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Great post, Sunset. Thanks for this info which will be valuable to newbies at cutting their own hair. We are trying to build a huge resource in the forum on this and this is yet another useful post.

(09-15-2014 05:15 PM)rob80 Wrote:  I'm still trying to build up the courage to try this myself...it's definitely something I'd like to perfect, though I do like supporting small business salons in my neighborhood.

Yes, please. Always support your local small businesses. However, do also be a smart consumer, and you have in this forum a good resource to become a smart barbershop client. What I mean with this is that you don't need to go to a barbershop every 2 weeks to cut your hair, when you could easily do that yourself with a good pair of shears if your current haircut is simply a quick trim.

The same goes with haircuts that require a single hair-clipper length as is a bowl cut, Undercut, High and Tight, Recon, middle contour haircut, Mohawk, and other haircuts. You can do these yourself at home with a hair clipper, even being a newbie. Not to mention that you can easily retouch areas such as sideburns, hairline (e.g. shape up) and also carve razor lines and cuts with a hair clipper and/or T-outline.

For the above, you would easily get charged 20 bucks per visit (every two weeks). When a high quality hair clipper that lasts you years will cost a maximum of 200 bucks and a T-outline less than 100 bucks. In this forum, we recommend THIS hair clipper for a cordless hair clipper that lasts years and won't let you down (and among the very few cordless hair clippers that will last years) and we also recommend THIS T-outliner, which is awesome for shaping the hairline, sideburns, beard and also drawing and razor cuts.

(10-22-2014 08:11 AM)JVoorhees80 Wrote:  I've cut my hair a couple of times before. My barber asked my brother which barber I went to because I hadn't been at his place for a couple of months and my hair looked sick, so it's safe to say I did a good job at cutting my own hair. But the only downside is that I don't know if everything has been cut. Some hairs were longer than the others but this wasn't noticeable because it was in the middle. How does one correct this?

Try lifting the hair up by clipping the hair between the index and middle finger. Cut the hair that is beyond the length of the hair at the fingers (i.e. what you'd call the tips). However, it's very easy (if you don't know how to cut your own hair) to get hairs that are longer/uncut yet the haircut looks good. Bear in mind that you have about 60,000 hair strands just on the top of your head! One hundred hair strands that are, let's say, one inch longer because you didn't trim these hair strands, will not affect the aesthetics of the haircut.

I'm pro-self haircut, but for a good haircut, you should really go to a barbershop and leave trims for yourself. Unless you get enough skill to cut your own hair. And this skill is achieved by practicing and practicing some more.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
10-24-2014, 10:08 AM
(10-22-2014 11:18 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(10-22-2014 08:11 AM)JVoorhees80 Wrote:  I've cut my hair a couple of times before. My barber asked my brother which barber I went to because I hadn't been at his place for a couple of months and my hair looked sick, so it's safe to say I did a good job at cutting my own hair. But the only downside is that I don't know if everything has been cut. Some hairs were longer than the others but this wasn't noticeable because it was in the middle. How does one correct this?

Try lifting the hair up by clipping the hair between the index and middle finger. Cut the hair that is beyond the length of the hair at the fingers (i.e. what you'd call the tips). However, it's very easy (if you don't know how to cut your own hair) to get hairs that are longer/uncut yet the haircut looks good. Bear in mind that you have about 60,000 hair strands just on the top of your head! One hundred hair strands that are, let's say, one inch longer because you didn't trim these hair strands, will not affect the aesthetics of the haircut.

I'm pro-self haircut, but for a good haircut, you should really go to a barbershop and leave trims for yourself. Unless you get enough skill to cut your own hair. And this skill is achieved by practicing and practicing some more.

I have OCD, which is the only reason I cut my own hair. I don't want other people to touch my hair, especially not when they've touched other people's hair a lot of times. So I am forced to do it myself just so I can stay calm and reduce any sort of anxiety that occurs when I get touched. And that's how I cut my hair with the scissors, I'd cut anything between the index and middle finger. It's just that some hairs were longer because I missed them. You're right, it doesn't affect the aesthetics of the haircut, but it feels weird knowing that some hairs are longer. Practice makes perfect, that's for sure. I like the way I cut my hair, so all is good! Thanks for the response.
10-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Good discussion going on & for me it's the same with cutting my own hair and leaving the big cuts for the barbershop. Slowly I am learning how to cut my curls as its way is easy to cut too much when meaning to cut only a very little bit.
I know Rogelio in the curly hair book recommends dry hair cutting for curly hair and not wet hair cutting. I cut my hair dry and i find it to be easier and in more detail. What do some of u think of cutting hair wet or dry for curly hair?
10-24-2014, 03:21 PM
(10-24-2014 01:03 PM)Robert Wrote:  Good discussion going on & for me it's the same with cutting my own hair and leaving the big cuts for the barbershop. Slowly I am learning how to cut my curls as its way is easy to cut too much when meaning to cut only a very little bit.
I know Rogelio in the curly hair book recommends dry hair cutting for curly hair and not wet hair cutting. I cut my hair dry and i find it to be easier and in more detail. What do some of u think of cutting hair wet or dry for curly hair?

In my opinion you should cut curly hair when it is dry. Wet puts the curls in a different shape than their real shape so you can end up with a bad haircut if cutting wet.

Even straight hair is best cut when it is dry although some wetting of the hair is good to make the hair easier to move about on the head (this is the main reason for barbers wetting your hair with that water spray as they usually do).

I am not the ultimate authority on curly hair cutting so wait till some of the barbers tell their views. Your right that it is also recommended in that book (that would be one example of an ultimate authority from which you can take its hair style and hair care advice as gospel Smile).
11-25-2014, 05:14 AM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2014 05:15 AM by AddyB.)
Sunset's tips are very good. I trim my own hair in between visits from my hairdresser. I invested in Saki shears because the whole family uses them at some time or other. Very good quality.
12-20-2014, 07:42 PM
How could you blend an undercut yourself?
12-28-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm super lazy so I just buzz the whole thing with a 4 guide comb. However I figured out that I can use a paper held to the back to my head to get a clean (curved) neckline.
01-14-2015, 10:31 PM
don't have the courage to try it lol
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to get better hair and hairstyles as a male - 5 easy tips The Hairstylist 0 272 10-03-2016 10:32 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  How to turn Curly hair into Straight hair? Straightening tips joserijo 1 1,254 09-25-2015 11:30 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Lightbulb Hair coloring tips for men to get and dye cool hair colors! Mane Man 1 1,234 07-05-2015 01:17 PM
Last Post: ElenaTheBarber
  Any tips on handling awkward stage of growing out Hair shahrukhch1 14 34,632 03-23-2015 11:16 PM
Last Post: shahrukhch1